SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Members Who Gave All

Old 22 January 2017, 20:59
Nerd

SouthOfTheBorder/SOTB/Andy...

I remember the first time I met him. I couldn't believe the scary, intimidating Admin with the withering wit that could eviscerate newbie posters with ease was actually an incredibly friendly and easy going man with a passing resemblance to Alan Alda.

Even though I was a civvie, he invited me to local get-togethers, and the one or two times I went, I always felt safe near him. He was always a gentleman in person. And kind.

It would be fair to say that I learned some of my most colorful language and most damaging verbal takedowns from reading his posts, and for that I am truly grateful. Every time I see the word assume, I read it as ASSume, just because of Andy.

But most of all, he was incredibly smart. I knew that if there was a topic I was unsure about, I could get the straight scoop from SOTB, along with a clear, well-reasoned argument that cut through the issue to the core. We need that more than ever these days.

RIP, Andy. I am a better person because of your example.

Our new posting rules