SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Old 23 November 2019, 16:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Why do I even know there is a such a thing as a "Trident Review Board?" This seems a lot like whether a SEAL is PNG or not. None of my business. I didn't like big Navy prosecuting SEALs but if the SEALs themselves had convened this board in lieu of prosecution, more power to them. A prosecutor saying he committed war crimes is a hell of a lot different than a group of SEAL master chiefs saying he should no longer wear the trident. The only reason this has blossomed into a cluster fuck is that he was very publicly prosecuted instead of being sent before this review board. Hopefully the learning is that this review board process comes first and SEALs choose their own members. Horrible precedent if politicians start deciding who wears the trident or who doesn't.
What if the SEALs making the decision ARE politicians/politically motivated?
Old 23 November 2019, 17:39
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post
That is exactly what I said in my OP.

Hence, I am trying to figure out what I am missing?

Thanks

Sltwtr1

OUT
General Order #1. The drinking happened in country (I think).
Old 23 November 2019, 17:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
What if the SEALs making the decision ARE politicians/politically motivated?
Never trust anyone with a star.
Old 23 November 2019, 19:01
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sltwtr1 View Post
Hence, I am trying to figure out what I am missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
General Order #1. The drinking happened in country (I think).
If it's not GO #1, then I imagine it fall under the general idea of fraternization with enlisted men, punishable under either Article 133 or maybe 134.
Old 23 November 2019, 19:33
Confirmed User

Drinking with Team members, whether Os or Es is simply comradery. Big Boy rules.. If you cant drink with your team mates, for Gods sake.
I know the UCMJ is what our Military follows, but drinking a beer with your team is sacred..
Old 23 November 2019, 20:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Never trust anyone with a star.
LOL. That's GO #1 for us enlisted pukes.
Old 23 November 2019, 20:11
Shakin' the bush Boss

That's precisely why I spent most of my career trying to NOT interact with anybody above the rank of O2.
Old 24 November 2019, 16:51
Chlorox Doctor

Clown Show.
Old 24 November 2019, 22:05
Administrator

Learning point: If POTUS steps into your legal investigation, he has the final say. Cant resist the pun, the Trump card.
Old 24 November 2019, 23:27
Did...did I do that?

SECNAV is out.

Quote:
Defense Secretary Mark Esper forced out Richard Spencer, the secretary of the Navy, over his handling of a Navy SEAL whose demotion for a war crimes charge had sparked objection from President Donald Trump.

Esper asked for Spencer's resignation "after losing trust and confidence in him regarding his lack of candor" because he failed to tell Esper of a "private proposal" he made to the White House that would have allowed Navy Chief Petty Officer Eddie Gallagher to keep his rank and SEAL status, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement.

"I am deeply troubled by this conduct shown by a senior DOD official," Esper said. "Unfortunately, as a result I have determined that Secretary Spencer no longer has my confidence to continue in his position. I wish Richard well."
Old 25 November 2019, 04:46

I'm just curious and couldn't find out online, did CPO Adam Matthews have his trident taken away?

If not, what's worse, taking a photo with a dead Taliban, drinking with your comrades, or killing an SF workmate?

In my way of thinking, if you went through, and finished, what it takes to earn that trident, it should be yours for life..., regardless.
Old 25 November 2019, 12:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEARED HOT View Post
Clown Show.
To this point: maybe POTUS doesn't really give a damn - as long as the media are not talking about impeachment, Ukraine, quid pro quo, etc...

Look at the cnn.com. THe impeachment conversation isn't on top. I'm not watching it on TV, but I'd conjecture that it's not the lead story.
Old 25 November 2019, 13:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter28 View Post
To this point: maybe POTUS doesn't really give a damn - as long as the media are not talking about impeachment, Ukraine, quid pro quo, etc...

Look at the cnn.com. THe impeachment conversation isn't on top. I'm not watching it on TV, but I'd conjecture that it's not the lead story.
Congress is on recess for the holiday. There won't be as much impeachment buzz without new hearings.
Old 25 November 2019, 13:50
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Photog View Post
Congress is on recess for the holiday. There won't be as much impeachment buzz without new hearings.
Good point. However, I don't think the media needs congress to be in session to run "analysis" on the impeachment proceedings.

Overall, I think the administration benefits from having us talk about this pardon, reinstatement of rank, anything but Ukraine, etc, vs Ukraine.
Old 25 November 2019, 20:57
Chlorox Doctor

I was referring to the clown show that ensued prior to POTUS stepping in. NSW allowed the shoe Navy to come in and take over thus leaving Eddie behind. Something in the NSW Community that is a banishable offense and transcends SOF as a whole. SECNAV is only the beginning IMHO. It's not about the Trump Card effect, which was the right thing to do btw, it's about what NSW did to Eddie prior to. To the press... these are all my opinions and my opinions alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter28 View Post

Old 26 November 2019, 00:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEARED HOT View Post
I was referring to the clown show that ensued prior to POTUS stepping in.
ok, got it - I thought you were referring to the clown show in itís entirety...
Old 26 November 2019, 16:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTales View Post
I'm just curious and couldn't find out online, did CPO Adam Matthews have his trident taken away?

If not, what's worse, taking a photo with a dead Taliban, drinking with your comrades, or killing an SF workmate?

In my way of thinking, if you went through, and finished, what it takes to earn that trident, it should be yours for life..., regardless.
I have been just reading this thread, learning. But to this point, if it is like every other warfare device in the Navy, it can be revoked for offenses from the relatively minor all the way to the significantly major. But the offenses are clear, and there is a process.
Old 26 November 2019, 18:04
Administrator

I don't know the dude at all. Maybe he is guilty as sin and a dirtbag. Maybe the opposite. But I do know that the prosecution and big Navy did some low down shit to try to lock him up and because of that I am glad he went free. Prosecutorial misconduct like that should be prosecuted just as hard as what they went after him for. If you are going to take away someone's freedom and destroy their life, you better have your shit together and make sure you do it right. You dont get to commit a crime to be able to lock someone else up for committing a crime.

I was removed from a case once by the FBI for pointing out something very similar where they were doing something that was shady as fuck (entrapment) to get a dude to flip on a US Customs Special Agent, and they justified it by saying it was okay since it wasn't going to court. Not cool.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 26 November 2019, 18:18
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
I have been just reading this thread, learning. But to this point, if it is like every other warfare device in the Navy, it can be revoked for offenses from the relatively minor all the way to the significantly major. But the offenses are clear, and there is a process.
And it wasn't a big deal (at least it wasn't in the media that I saw) until POTUS told Big Navy they couldn't reduce him to E-6. I still think "they" are mad they got caught railroading a sailor (whether or not he was guilty; the prosecution did some shady shit) and are trying to get even with the Chief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I was removed from a case once by the FBI for pointing out something very similar where they were doing something that was shady as fuck (entrapment) to get a dude to flip on a US Customs Special Agent, and they justified it by saying it was okay since it wasn't going to court. Not cool.
Good on you for pointing it out. Bad on them for the course they chose. I've had to lay my dick on the table over similar problems (nothing this egregious) and I've been fortunate that it never got nailed down.
Old 26 November 2019, 18:42
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
...I was removed from a case once by the FBI for pointing out something very similar where they were doing something that was shady as fuck (entrapment) to get a dude to flip on a US Customs Special Agent, and they justified it by saying it was okay since it wasn't going to court. Not cool.
Yep... for when the law breaks the law...there is no law. The end does not justify the means. If you can't get them the right way, then don't get them at all. If they are criminal, they will do it again and then you can get them the right way.

Our new posting rules