SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 12 November 2014, 20:10
Fitness Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Skiing the white ribbon of death has about as much appeal to me as banging my head against the wall.
Each to his own. Given the choice I'd ride the WROD before banging my head against a wall.
Old 19 November 2014, 03:34

Anyone throw on their skins and rock skis or been to any open mountains with the recent snowfall in CO and WY?

I purchased the mountain collective pass for a second year in a row after getting four quality trips in last season and saving $$$ with the pass. Two days & 50% off thereafter w/ no black out dates @ Whistler, Jackson, Alta/Snowbird, Squaw/Alpine, Mammoth, Aspen/Snowmass, and Lake Louise/Sunshine Village/Norquay in BC. I highly recommend it.

I’m about 90% sure I’ll move to Jackson for the season but it’s coming together at the last minute so fingers are crossed.

Maybe I’ll spot MixedLoad shredding some chutes?
Old 9 December 2014, 19:48
REMF

Anyone here ever ski/ride at Winter Park? Impressions?
Old 9 December 2014, 20:38
Another pool cleaner

I was at Winter Park a while ago.

I'm used to the East coast ski slopes. Anything West is awesome.
Old 10 December 2014, 11:31
Divides by zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeArmyNCO View Post
Anyone here ever ski/ride at Winter Park? Impressions?
Many times. It's one of the closer resorts to Denver so it can get busy. During the work week is best there. The most powder i've ever boarded on was last year at Winter Park/Mary Jane. I like it.
Old 11 December 2014, 14:58
REMF

Fortunately, an old Army buddy of mine from Ft. Lewis has a 5br house 15 minutes away from the hill that she's letting me use for FREE.
Hopefully we'll do some snowmobiling while we're there too. I'm counting on the snow base being good at the end of February when we go.
Old 7 March 2015, 10:04
Confirmed User

Headed to Snowmass this month. Any intel on it?
Old 7 March 2015, 14:04
Confirmed User

What's up with the lifts closing at 3:30? I'm going to Winter Park on another trip and they close at 4. Why so early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked View Post
Old 7 March 2015, 14:49
Divides by zero

Most places do not have lights. The sun starts to go down early in the winter, behind mountains, so its a hazard. I guess. Yes it sucks. Some back bowls close even earlier to get people off the mountain by 4pm.
Keystone, for one, has lights and night skiing.
Old 7 March 2015, 15:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
What's up with the lifts closing at 3:30? I'm going to Winter Park on another trip and they close at 4. Why so early?
A few spots I've rode close early so they can groom everything. Whistler Blackcomb comes to mind. Both mountains are so damn big that they have to shuffle everyone out by 4pm so they can be groomed for the next day.
Old 9 March 2015, 20:02
Confirmed User

I was hoping that with late season and daylight's savings they'd maybe stay open later, but oddly, those answers make me even more excited about skiing "West" for the first time.

"Back bowls" and "so damn big"... yeah, I'm amped! :)
Old 10 March 2015, 16:21

Quote:
Snowmass is a great resort. I used to ski there every year with my family.

Terrain-wise, the most interesting runs are (1) AMF and Gowdy's on the west side of the cirque (to the right of the cirque on the trail map), (2) Possible/Impossible, and (3) Roberto's.

AMF and Gowdy's are accessed from the Rocky Mountain High tow-pull. Gowdy's is steeper and has an optional air to the right of the entrance.

Possible/Impossible are accessible from the High Alpine lift. Impossible is off-the-map and probably isn't open this year given the lack of snow.

Roberto's is accessible after a short hike from the top of the High Alpine lift. Next to Roberto's is the Hanging Valley Headwall (which, despite its name, is not as steep, but is still a lot of fun). Below Roberto's and Headwall there are many different lines you can explore.

One more interesting spot is the Cirque Dikes, which are accessible from the High Alpine lift (opposite Possible/Impossible). The terrain isn't super interesting--there isn't much vertical--but there is often some good snow in there long after a big powder day.

As for blue cruisers, Big Burn lift and Elk Camp lift are clear champions.

Going over to Aspen Highlands is definitely worth the trip to ski the bowl.

Have fun!

Last edited by civtoread; 10 March 2015 at 16:25. Reason: added instructions for access to Roberto's
Old 10 March 2015, 17:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Snowmass is a large family ski area with plenty of terrain. You never have to ski the same trail twice.
Lift tickets are expensive $120.
The tickets will give you access to four (4) ski mountains.

Snowmass, Buttermilk, Aspen Highlands and Aspen.

Plenty of other stuff to do as well. Snowmobiling with Western Outfitters is a good family outing.

Down Valley has great Mexican food at El Korita in Basalt... resonably priced.

Plenty of eating in Aspen... but get ready to pay. Usually ends up $100 per person.

Snow is Good ... Have Fun!!!

Lower lifts should close at 4:00

Don't forget Easter SEAL's

"DJT 2016"... He didn't know it couldn't be done
Old 23 January 2016, 02:59
Verified SOF

So Jackson had decent snow before Christmas, and really picked up in the last seven days with over 48" Or some blather. Already at about 240" for the season... We just need the 18" plus per day to fill in all the off piste' stuff.

I'm really glad that it looks like everywhere is getting snow this year ( besides the UP / Bohemia). Really cuts down on this tourists and results in less congestion in the lift lines.

Anyone else getting some good turns in this year?
Old 23 January 2016, 13:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
So Jackson had decent snow before Christmas, and really picked up in the last seven days with over 48" Or some blather. Already at about 240" for the season... We just need the 18" plus per day to fill in all the off piste' stuff.

I'm really glad that it looks like everywhere is getting snow this year ( besides the UP / Bohemia). Really cuts down on this tourists and results in less congestion in the lift lines.

Anyone else getting some good turns in this year?
I've been following the face shots on JHMR's social media feeds. Linsey Dyer, Griffin Post and a few others are also posting some absolutely awesome pictures of the Jackson bc.

At least we're getting hit here for the first time since 2010. Last night was 14 inches at Kirkwood. The way this is going, for January, next month is going be absolutely epic.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 23 January 2016, 18:54
Authorized Personnel

Today we are closing out Five days at Mt Bachelor. I hate to leave. Only one bad day the whole time. Can't wait to come back.
Old 24 January 2016, 13:54

Have a pair of Volk V-Werks RTM's that should be here tomorrow. Snowbasin or Park City on Wed. We've been seeing good snow this season. Seems like every single night recently has seen at least 2-4 inches of powder.

Rolling down a black at Snowbasin about two weeks ago. Decided to hard turn from groomers to deep powder. The sudden transition at speed set up a vibration in the skis that allowed one ski to pop off on the turn.

Anyone that finds a Rossi Soul7 this summer let me know.
Old 26 January 2016, 21:29
Authorized Personnel

I rode the Soul7s this week. Really liked them.
Old 27 January 2016, 00:06
Verified SOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOB View Post
I rode the Soul7s this week. Really liked them.
My daily drivers are Super7s - stiffer that the Souls. I'm 6'2" and about 230 - they work well, from crud to groomers to deep Jackson pow. Haven't really found their speed limit, but are pretty agile when it gets tight. YMMV...
Old 27 January 2016, 00:31
Confirmed User

My wife bought me a pair of Vokl Kendo's last year. Skiing sucked bad here last year so I never got to really push the Kendos.... This year is shaping up to be decent, already had a few pow pow days. The whole family skis, we usually have season passes to Schweitzer but this year we are skiing Silver Mountain.

Our new posting rules