SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 2 August 2018, 11:25
Anesthetized User

NFL 2018

Since the NFL players went full retard a few years ago, I have no real interest in the game. But, might as well kick off the season with this thread.

This will give us a focused place to bitch.

For those who do care, name your predictions.

Support SOCNET.
Old 2 August 2018, 11:49
Confirmed User

Panthers make playoffs, lose in the divisional round.

Patriots will win the Super Bowl using discarded 4th and 5th round picks that other teams have let go, resurrecting their careers like a Phoenix from the ashes....
Old 2 August 2018, 12:19
Confirmed User

Jacoby Brissett will start most of the Colts' games this year.
Old 2 August 2018, 13:20
Confirmed User

Super Bowl prediction: The G Men humble the Patriots once again. Eli Manning wins his 3rd Super Bowl MVP.

Just got my season tickets the other day, I'm ready for some football!
Old 2 August 2018, 13:21
Confirmed User

My post from 2017:

"Dear God,

I hate to involve you in sports but after last night I have to ask for your help in not letting the Jaguars suck as bad as they are going to. I'm not asking for a miracle like 12-4 season. Maybe just some divine intervention that will get us to 8-8.

Thanks,
Me"

Hmmm - it seemed to work pretty well last year so maybe I dare ask for a SuperBowl?
Old 2 August 2018, 13:22
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Panthers make playoffs, lose in the divisional round.
Cam will never even come close to sniffing another Super Bowl, much less win one.

Bears start the preseason against the Ravens, I'll tune in just to see how boring it is.

Generally speaking the first 2 preseason games are just about giving everybody on the training camp roster a look, the 3rd is the money game and the 4th is a last shot for the guys on the bubble to impress.

Since the Bears are playing 5 preseason games this year because of the early start with the HoF game, I get to see 3 boring games right off the bat.

Yayyyy...
Old 2 August 2018, 13:56
Calix Meus Inebrians

Another easy route to the AFC Championship for my Patriots, and a 75% chance they go to the Super Bowl. Just have a hard time seeing anyone else with as clear a path in the weak AFC. The Pats organization is starting to show cracks, though. Not in Brady's age, but in how they are handling the never ending drama. The amazing thing is it's held together this long with all the egos involved.

I like New Orleans to reach the Super Bowl in the NFC. How they get there against Philadelphia and Minnesota will be fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
Hmmm - it seemed to work pretty well last year so maybe I dare ask for a SuperBowl?
Your quarterback is still Blake Bortles. Even God has limits.
Old 2 August 2018, 14:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Cam will never even come close to sniffing another Super Bowl, much less win one....
Maybe not, but not because of him. All roads to a SB for Carolina would go through him.

This year, he has the receivers, he has the running backs. He doesn't have the O-line, and THAT will be the downfall.
Old 2 August 2018, 14:16

Cam Newton takes a beating, and over time that takes its toll. The only player of any longevity who was able to take a licking and keep on ticking over the course of a long career was Walter Payton, and that guy punished would be tacklers almost as much as they tried to punish him.

Walter was an exception, physically in great shape and he worked his ass off every off season to stay that way. For all of his gifts, I don't think Cam has that same durability. For that reason I think he'll either suffer a career ending/altering injury before he gets another chance at the ring, or he'll just get worn down. The refs do him no favors either, he doesn't get the calls other QBs get because once he starts to run the ball, as far as they're concerned, he's just another ball carrier.

And we all know how little the NFL values RBs these days.
Old 2 August 2018, 14:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Cam Newton takes a beating, and over time that takes its toll. The only player of any longevity who was able to take a licking and keep on ticking over the course of a long career was Walter Payton, and that guy punished would be tacklers almost as much as they tried to punish him.

Walter was an exception, physically in great shape and he worked his ass off every off season to stay that way. For all of his gifts, I don't think Cam has that same durability. For that reason I think he'll either suffer a career ending/altering injury before he gets another chance at the ring, or he'll just get worn down. The refs do him no favors either, he doesn't get the calls other QBs get because once he starts to run the ball, as far as they're concerned, he's just another ball carrier.

And we all know how little the NFL values RBs these days.
I completely agree. He has the tools, this team will be better than the team that went to the Super Bowl in 2015. But if they don't get that offensive line figured out, he will continue to go down. The good news is he is as healthy as he has been. Which means he will be faster when he has to run for his life.
Old 2 August 2018, 14:20
Anesthetized User

Quote:
My post from 2017:

"Dear God,

I hate to involve you in sports but after last night I have to ask for your help in not letting the Jaguars suck as bad as they are going to. I'm not asking for a miracle like 12-4 season. Maybe just some divine intervention that will get us to 8-8.

Thanks,
Me"

Praying for mediocrity. Groovy.

Support SOCNET.
Old 2 August 2018, 15:03
Going cyclic!!

My predictions:

-Browns make the playoffs.

-Sony Michel is AFC Offensive ROY

-Oakland wins the AFC West

-Dallas goes 8-8 and misses the playoffs

-Chicago comes close, but just misses the playoffs
Old 2 August 2018, 15:26
Confirmed User

"Praying for mediocrity. Groovy."

I know, it worked better than expected:)
Old 3 August 2018, 06:46
A/1/75

Ah come on, you know the RAMS will take it all

Charlie
Old 3 August 2018, 07:14
RIP Cass and SOTB

Quote:
My post from 2017:

"Dear God,

Thanks,
Me"

It would be awfully nice if the Big Guy upstairs could bless Jags nation with a super bowl. We were damn close last year!

I think the Jags win 10 games. Win the AFC South. And play for the AFC championship against the Steelers or Patriots.
Old 3 August 2018, 07:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA_11B View Post
It would be awfully nice if the Big Guy upstairs could bless Jags nation with a super bowl. We were damn close last year!

I think the Jags win 10 games. Win the AFC South. And play for the AFC championship against the Steelers or Patriots.
Jags? Super Bowl? We have them down here in Tampa every so often, they can drive down here and watch the game in person. That is the closest they will get.
Old 3 August 2018, 07:22
Drawing my cutlass

Theoretically, the Jets are still in the playoff picture.

Allegedly.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 3 August 2018, 07:56
A/1/75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Theoretically, the Jets are still in the playoff picture.

Allegedly.
Anything is possible at this point...until they start the season!

Charlie
Old 3 August 2018, 19:47
Confirmed User

Aaron Rodgers with Jimmy Graham to throw to and a running game is going to be hard to stop... Our D should be much improved too. If Rodgers and enough other key players stay healthy Pack wins it all....
Old 3 August 2018, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Jags? Super Bowl? We have them down here in Tampa every so often, they can drive down here and watch the game in person. That is the closest they will get.
The only way the Jags win a Super Bowl is with Cam Newton at QB.

It would be enough to rip the fabric of the space-time continuum and throw the football gods who oversee the whole thing for a loop.

Our new posting rules