SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 25 March 2001, 04:09
Kiwi
Visitor

Smile H&K P7

Any thoughts or comments on H&K P7
Old 25 March 2001, 17:41
Confirmed User

One of the safest pistol around, mainly due to its grip safety. Gotta be reliable, it was used by GSG-9.

[This message has been edited by Lima_Bravo (edited 03-25-2001).]
Old 25 March 2001, 20:48
Been There Done That

Hi Kiwi;

Carried a P7-13 for awhile, good pistol with a couple a things not so good. The squeeze cocking device is a good safety feature but when you squeeze the grip of a pistol it causes shake, it does suffer from this. Also in prolonged fire the gas heats the area above the trigger and can burn the trigger finger. This was improved with the addition of a polymer heat shield but it still gets hot. In all a very well designed and made weapon.

Take care...Jim
Old 26 March 2001, 00:11
Kiwi
Visitor

Thx

Ya I know GSG-9 uses them. I asked cause I was wondering how come I have not seen much other new guns with the design like the P7. I know there are other old SMG with that design like the UZI family or Beretta 12S
Old 26 March 2001, 00:14
Kiwi
Visitor

Red face

Oh, what I mean is the safety feature.

Cheers
Old 27 March 2001, 00:41
BrandonD
Visitor

I've got to agree with JY. I've used a P7M13 for years and they're amazing handguns. However because of their steel frame, semi-prolonged use can be painful due to fast heating trigger guard. My suggestion is get used to shooting with Nomex gloves. The spring can be pretty strong too, not leaving much in the way of load variation, though I have rarely had jams. On the tactical side, the squeeze cocker is noisy once you disengage it. I'd hate to be in a hide-site, activate it in anticipation of a closing threat, only to release it - CLICK! Very audible.

Still I think the P7 is probably the most accurate stock pistol I've ever shot and probably the fastest to double-tap accurately with. I think this is partly to do with the overall design (polygonal rifling, fixed barrel riding very low in the frame, operation) and it's above average weight for its size. It just doesn't move when you shoot it, at least compared to shooting a Glock from my experience.
Old 27 March 2001, 14:02
Probationary User

[>Ya I know GSG-9 uses them. I asked cause I was wondering how come I have not seen much

GSG9 dropped the P7 in favour for the Glock 17 with amphibious modification in 1993. the Glock is called the P9M (Maritim) in German service.

Cheers

HANS

Old 28 March 2001, 01:18
Deleted Member

Dumb move on GSG-9's part!
Old 31 March 2001, 14:46
Confirmed User

I fired the P7 and must say I had great results. The squeezing is no problem.

Die Hülsen fliegen nur den anderen Kameraden immer in die Fresse!
Verdammt!!

Repp
Old 1 April 2001, 01:47
USMCSNIPERONE
Visitor

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Silent-1:
Dumb move on GSG-9's part!
Silent-1
Have you had a bad experiance with Glocks?
You really seem to despise them ,and I'm just
curious as to why, because I have several and
trust them with my life. As do countless
others.
have fun be safe
Sniperone
Old 15 May 2001, 02:30
Faustus
Visitor

Just thought I'd throw in my endorsement of the P7. I carry it when I want good firepower in a discrete package, which the P7M8 provides better than just about any other handgun I've seen.

While the size of a compact pistol, the P7 fires a 9mm out of a full 4.14 inch barrel--thats nearly as much barrel as you find in a full-size pistol. It is extremely accurate, due partly to the fixed barrel design (no locking mechanism) and quite reliable. It is very safe to carry yet very fast into action. And the fluted chamber is a nice touch.

As an additional note, I'm not a lefty myself, but for those out there who are left-handed, the P7 is the most completely ambidextrous pistol I know of.
Old 9 December 2003, 12:09
Administrator

I'd like to revive this thread, if you don't mind.

I amlooking at a P7M8 as a carry gun. My USP 40 compact is a bit bulky for self-defense carry.

My questions:

1. I have read that the P7M13 comes in .40....does the P7M8 as well? Doesn't look like it from what I have seen(?)

2. Holster availability/recos?

3. Any other comments on the weapon in general? I am an HK fan, so you can leave the 'quality' portion out of the discussion....already a fan.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 9 December 2003, 12:39
Tourist

Are their weight issues between the two?

At least, in my unexperienced hands, the .40 seemed like a very light and solid tool.

You know far more than me, DH. Is weight a primary concern?
Old 9 December 2003, 12:56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by NewportBarGuy
Is weight a primary concern?
No...the P7 is a heavy weapon for its size and I am good with that...primarily length, width, and height.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 9 December 2003, 13:22
Confirmed User

DH have you taken a look at the Sig 239? Alota bang for its size (comes in both .40 and .357 Sig) and is a whole hell of alot cheaper than the P7 and the quality is comparable.

Seeing that you are a big HK fan have you taken a look at the new P2000. I haven't had the chance to try one but they seem to have very favorable reviews by those that have. I don't know if there is enough size difference from the USPc to make a difference.
Old 9 December 2003, 13:30

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Helmet
I'd like to revive this thread, if you don't mind.

I amlooking at a P7M8 as a carry gun. My USP 40 compact is a bit bulky for self-defense carry.

My questions:

1. I have read that the P7M13 comes in .40....does the P7M8 as well? Doesn't look like it from what I have seen(?)

2. Holster availability/recos?

3. Any other comments on the weapon in general? I am an HK fan, so you can leave the 'quality' portion out of the discussion....already a fan.
DH,

I have a P7M8. I know at one time it did come in the .40 cal. Its is the P9M8 and I believe (but not postive) they had a very limited P9M10 p9=.40 M10=10 rounds. They are extremely hard to find. I had a very hard time just finding my P7M8.

Availabilty of hoslters? A couple of places still make hoslter for them. Blade tech for still makes holsters for them.

This is by far the most accurate out of the box pistol I have ever shot. Next to a revolver. Its accutaley almost like a revolver in the fact that the barrel is forged to the frame. There is no need for a barrel link to gain lockup. Great design I don't understand why others have not adopted the design. Also the angle in which you point is different than most other pistols. Its hard to describe but when you bring it up to your eyes the sights are right there. Very little muscle memory drills are/ were needed for me to bring it up and on target. The only problem is once you get used to it, going to other pistols is wierd and takes some remedial drills to get back up to speed.

Also DH PM inbound.

We never forget those who killed them.

Stay Safe...especially you guys in the sand box.
Old 9 December 2003, 14:11

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Helmet
I looks like P7 only comes in 9mm

http://www.heckler-kochjs.de/html/en..._15_index.html

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg52-e.htm
Old 9 December 2003, 14:33

Silent decocking

P7M8 info link

Method #1 from the P7PSP Manual (page 4):

Silent uncocking

To uncock the weapon silently, pull back the slide approx. 0.39
in. (10 mm), release the squeeze cocker and lead the slide forward
by hand.

Old 9 December 2003, 14:51

The .40 cal is/ or was made at one point.

Old 9 December 2003, 15:51

A buddy of mine had the .40 version for awhile, and it had alot more recoil than my P7M8 due to the heavier slide (beefed up to handle the .40 round). I love my 'M8, and carried it on duty for a short time (until the thought of carrying an $1100 pistol in the weather on a motorcycle made me swap back to my 229 :D).

Our new posting rules