Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 June 2018, 19:50
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
I damn near through my phone at the TV. The latest POTUS-smash is the video MSM is showing of POTUS saluting a line of NoKo flag officers. Like most of the MSM they have no clue about military D&C. If they did they would know that he was actually returning their salute, not saluting them first. I know there is some disagreement over whether POTUS is supposed to salute at all (out of uniform, etc), and I agree that the optics were not so good, but the MSM is simply digging for anything to make the summit a failure, and/or to use straw-men to make their arguments.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/14/polit...ute/index.html
I guess I would have preferred he just kept his hand extended and made the NK general reach for it, but in the end I wouldn't make too much of it.

In strictly military terms, a salute rendered to somebody who then returns it is simply a courtesy. President Reagan I think started making it a regular practice to return the salutes of military personnel when approaching his aircraft or entering the White House, and it seemed to take on a life of its own with subsequent presidents.

I'm reminded of a story I read along the way (perhaps apocryphal) concerning Chesty Puller coming upon a young Lt. facing a private, and the private was throwing off salute after salute as the Lt. stood there watching him. Chesty asked what was going on and the Lt. said that as he was passing the private he had failed to salute him, and so he was making him perform 100 salutes to teach him a lesson.

Puller reminded him that when a salute is rendered, as a courtesy (and probably written into the regs somewhere) it has to be returned, so he then made the Lt. knock off 100 salutes himself to the private to satisify that requirement. It sounds like something Chesty Puller might have done, but again, it might just be a tale that might have had some grain of truth in terms of something like that happening at some point, but was embellished to the 100 salutes story.

Last edited by Spinner; 14 June 2018 at 19:57.
Old 14 June 2018, 20:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
I damn near through my phone at the TV. The latest POTUS-smash is the video MSM is showing of POTUS saluting a line of NoKo flag officers. Like most of the MSM they have no clue about military D&C. If they did they would know that he was actually returning their salute, not saluting them first. I know there is some disagreement over whether POTUS is supposed to salute at all (out of uniform, etc), and I agree that the optics were not so good, but the MSM is simply digging for anything to make the summit a failure, and/or to use straw-men to make their arguments.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/14/polit...ute/index.html

They have a 100 year plan.
They know he was returning the salute.they just donít care. If youíre on Facebook, you can see the CNN article that specifically says he returned the salute, but shows a picture to make it look as if trump initiated the salute, followed by hundreds of comments by people who didnít understand how this is somehow different than Obama bowing to a Saudi King.
Old 14 June 2018, 21:23
I really don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
somehow different than Obama bowing to a Saudi King.
Yeahbut the Saudi king doesn't murder his own peop........Oh. Nevermind.
Old 15 June 2018, 08:54
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Clapper is a traitor against his own citizens and has repeatedly lied to Congress... and the American people. Him not being in prison stripes or a casket is solely due to the enduring power of the deep state. Anything he says should be analyzed for venom.
Don't forget Alexander, and Brennan (and a whole host of others + fan boys and girls).
Old 15 June 2018, 09:48
Confirmed User

For me this is just partisan grand standing. Everyone on the right went nuts when Obama bowed so low to the Saudi prince or king I do not recall which it was. Now the left is attempting to doing the same business. Our "news" in this country is just jacked up.
Old 15 June 2018, 10:49
Confirmed User

Why is there this general consensus that Trump gave up military exercises without anything in return? They seem to forget: Kim returned our hostages first, as a show of good faith, 0 preconditions, and agreed to stop nuke testing for 6 months.
Old 15 June 2018, 11:20
pumpin gas and kickin ass

Spinner,

Of course the PFC could go find 20 of his buddies and ambush the young LT at 10-15 yards dispersion, about face and do it again.

Poison,

Or he bought the quick start of repatriation of remains with both the salute and the waive off of exercises.

One year without exercises to get back our folks seems like a low risk trust building maneuver with permanent benefit for US. We can always do them next year.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...diers-55918751
Old 15 June 2018, 11:57
Confirmed User

"We can always do them next year."

Precisely what I had to explain to some family members who are not vets. Additionally, had to explain that no exercise does not mean no training. I'm pretty sure the boys at Kunsan aren't standing around with their hands in their pockets (it's an Air Force thing) waiting for the go signal to start flying again.
Old 24 June 2018, 00:52
I really don't care

Yet another win for POTUS. This is so far the most telling of all NK has done since the summit process began. It's no small thing. After 50+ years of 24/7 anti-American propaganda it's in their social DNA.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/23/north-...ropaganda/amp/
Old 12 July 2018, 22:34
Been There Done That

No post on this in awhile. It all seemed to be going well.

Have we been duped? Since Kim made another trip to see Xi it seems things may be going sideways. Obviously, China is pissed about the tariffs imposed on them. Maybe Kim got new guidance from Daddy?

Looks like sanctions are still being violated. Possibly re-nigging on the denuclearization thing. The Sec off State just came back empty handed. Maybe Kim just wanted a photo op with the POTUS to bolster his status?

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 13 July 2018, 08:06
BTDT

Success on behalf of the USA in this endeavor would be the only real surprise.
...NORK is never going to do anything that causes the regime to loose face or weaken their grip on power. Everything they do on the world stage is kabuki theater meant to give them breathing room to continue their charade.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 15 July 2018, 19:59
I really don't care

Looks like the POW/MIA process is being cranked back up.

Our new posting rules