SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 17 December 2019, 19:22
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Gun Builds?

I did a cursory search on the topic, and did not see anything specific to actual guns that people are going to build, or did build, seeking feedback.

I used to do a lot of AR's, but it's been a minute.
I've never built an AR10, and I know that it can be very hit and miss thanks to the lack of homogeneity in that platform at the moment, and I certainly have never done a Creedmore build.

And I am about to build a Creedmore, and would like feedback from people who know better.

Purpose: Longer range pew pew
(coyote misting at night from time to time too: overkill = yes.)
Upper:
Aero .308 Upper
Faxon 24" Heavy Fluted 6.5 C
Faxon Matching Bolt w/carrier
Service to Match Bolt to Barrel
Faxon Low Pro Adjustable Gas Block
Faxon Mid-Lenth Gas Tube
Precision Armament M11 Severe Duty
Striker Industries 308 Charging Handle
Aero Prec 308 Ejection Port Assembly
Strike Industries Fwd Assist

Lower
Aero .308 Lower
CerMC 3lb Trigger (drop in)
Aero 308 Lower Parts Kit
Aero 308 Buffer, Carbine Spring & Tube (mil spec)
Castle Nut End Plate Combo
Magpul PRS Gen 3

Suck or serviceable?

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW

Last edited by chokeu2; 17 December 2019 at 19:22. Reason: fix for grammar
Old 17 December 2019, 21:48
Hard to Kill

aero makes good quality components at a good price. I don't know much about faxon, however. Aero will give you a good foundation.
Old 17 December 2019, 23:10
Confirmed User

Criterion makes better barrels than Faxon. I had an upper built by Steve Adelmann at Citizen Arms. He test all his builds before shipping. He used a Criterion barrel and his best group with 75 grain Hornady was .62 inches. Black Hills 77 grain was .73 inches. He even printed a 1.1 inch group with crappy Wolf Gold 55 grain.
Old 17 December 2019, 23:16
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Citizen arms, I've heard of that guy. Super solid if I've heard correctly. Thank you for that.

Criterion, actually has barrels in stock... Good timing because Faxon is out of stock. Thank you for that as well.

Old 17 December 2019, 23:31
Freelancer

Just do your research and you'll be fine.
Myself, if I ever do a build I'd probably do all Aero parts to keep it simple.
Old 17 December 2019, 23:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Citizen arms, I've heard of that guy. Super solid if I've heard correctly. Thank you for that.

Criterion, actually has barrels in stock... Good timing because Faxon is out of stock. Thank you for that as well.
Steve was an assaulter with the Army’s SMU for over a decade. Knows his shit and builds really accurate guns that run.
Old 18 December 2019, 10:08
BTDT

Yea, I never did a 10, but Aero is an OEM for a whole lot of "Big Names" from what industry insiders always say. They also own Ballistic Advantage barrels - look at the Hansen Series. I second going as much Aero as possible, then filling in with other well known producers.

Rise Armament makes a 140 drop in trigger that is really nice, and you can find good deals on during holidays (sub $90). I'm a fan of Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Blocks - why mess with springs and buffers, or deal with over-gassed situations, when you can tune the source. Sprinco Springs will never compress out of spec.

Just some ideas.
Old 18 December 2019, 10:20
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Wow...
I wasn't too sure about posting this here, but I'm glad I did.

I was waiting for the exact parts that these ideas/recommendations to come back into stock. Which were barrel, trigger and gas block... f'ing perfect.
THANK YOU.

Old 18 December 2019, 14:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Wow...
I wasn't too sure about posting this here, but I'm glad I did.

I was waiting for the exact parts that these ideas/recommendations to come back into stock. Which were barrel, trigger and gas block... f'ing perfect.
THANK YOU.
Good luck with your build. Criterion’s youtube channel has a 4 part series on how to squeeze every last drop of accuracy out of your build. It’s well worth the 40 minutes to watch it. Here’s a link to episode one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1vCYbaA0Q
Old 18 December 2019, 16:26
Walk the plank

I built an aero with a bartlein barrel last year. Key is the upper guts should be from the same company. I bought an aero bCG and M5 upper lower set. I sent the bolt to Craddock who chambered my barrel and everything works. AR10s are finicky due to no standard as with the AR15.

Im not a larue fanboy but wouldve saved a few $$ and taken a lot of variables out by buying his ultimate upper kit in 308. Its a great value and has high quality parts. Take a peak at it as they will even assemble it for free and it takes a lot of variables out of the equation.
Old 18 December 2019, 16:33
Make a desert and call it peace.

Criterion is the mass market side of Kreiger barrels. Jack Kreiger is a good dude, and his barrels have always been top notch. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 18 December 2019, 17:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Criterion is the mass market side of Kreiger barrels. Jack Kreiger is a good dude, and his barrels have always been top notch. S/F....Ken M
My understanding is that the guy who owns Criterion was a long time employee of Krieger who started his own barrel company.
Old 18 December 2019, 17:46
Make a desert and call it peace.

Way back when, Kreiger was the cut rifle custom side of the business, Criterion was started to be the mass production, button rifled side, in some cases to supply OEM's, like Weatherby, for example. It may well have been run/started by a Kreiger employee, I'm not 100% sure.

All these guys learned at the shop of Boots Obermeyer, one way or the other. Mike Rock, the guy at Badger Barrels, a few others I forget. Growing up in the IL/WI highpower leagues was really cool for all the industry people you socialized with. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 18 December 2019, 18:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Way back when, Kreiger was the cut rifle custom side of the business, Criterion was started to be the mass production, button rifled side, in some cases to supply OEM's, like Weatherby, for example. It may well have been run/started by a Kreiger employee, I'm not 100% sure.

All these guys learned at the shop of Boots Obermeyer, one way or the other. Mike Rock, the guy at Badger Barrels, a few others I forget. Growing up in the IL/WI highpower leagues was really cool for all the industry people you socialized with. S/F....Ken M
You learn something new every day. Everyone of those companies makes great barrels.

Our new posting rules