SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 14 January 2020, 12:25

If I remember my USFS training, bear spray is literally no different than regular mace. Itís the spray/volume that sets it apart (as youíve mentioned). I really donít see how in light of those facts itís any different legally. Although I could see a really crappy DA trying to peddle to a jury that itís different because ďmuh BEAR sprayĒ.

Personally, I donít keep a long gun in the vehicle permanently. As others have said, thatís how you get stuff jacked. If I gotta go somewhere where I might need it, Iíll just put it in there for the journey and take it out after I get to where Iím going. About the only thing I permanently keep, weapons-wise, is loaded mags in some of those old school Alice clip mag pouches.

I had a buddy lose a ~$3K Nighthawk because he kept it in his console. With a ďcome and take itĒ sticker on the back. Which was promptly stolen when someone did a late night smash n grab. Joke is that ďyeah well it looks like they did come and take itĒ. Took him years to find that funny.
Old 14 January 2020, 12:29
0311/8651

Ruger SP 101, S&W model 13 magnum
Old 14 January 2020, 13:42
Authorized Personnel

In some states, carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun isn't covered under the same statutes as carrying a loaded pistol.

https://www.vsp.virginia.gov/Firearms_Transporting.shtm
Old 14 January 2020, 14:00
Been There Done That

Also, several states have somewhat obscure anti-poaching laws that specifically cover rifles in vehicles and the conditions under which they can be transported.
Old 14 January 2020, 15:01
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Texas in the 60's, it was common to have a sawed-off .410, it was called a snake gun. It was also common to carry your weapon in a window rack.
That was the good old days, go Dove hunting in the a.m. then go to school with the gun in it rack in the back window.

Now days my Truck gun is a 9.MM or my M 911 45. out of site our of mine to any one looking in my truck.
Old 14 January 2020, 15:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
Ruger SP 101, S&W model 13 magnum
Nice wheel gun!
Old 14 January 2020, 15:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
If I remember my USFS training, bear spray is literally no different than regular mace. Itís the spray/volume that sets it apart (as youíve mentioned). I really donít see how in light of those facts itís any different legally. Although I could see a really crappy DA trying to peddle to a jury that itís different because ďmuh BEAR sprayĒ.
yea its pretty much the same with a little lower capsicum only regulated by FDA as pesticide. Not sure if that opens door to different laws but if you grossly misused it probably. It's lower concentrate but I've been hit with some backblast it will incapacitate humans, for sure.
Old 14 January 2020, 15:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
I don't keep a gun in a vehicle unless I'm taking it someplace to use it, that's how a lot of guns get stolen. It's either on me or it's nowhere.
I keep 9mm on me. Normally, another higher capacity 9mm in console. No long gun. Too many DNR rules about carrying a long gun in vehicle. Night hunters & such.

I CONSTANTLY have to remind myself to take them out going some places. Especially school zone areas, etc. I’ve slipped up before and forgot. Same with the Post Office.

The Kel Tech would be my choice though Gsniper was speaking of.

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 14 January 2020 at 15:28.
Old 14 January 2020, 20:18
BTDT

Most auto break-ins are opportunity crimes - no tools. Go to Tractor Supply Co. and get one of those thick, coated Master cable locks. Loop it around the steel seat post, bolted to the steel truck frame, and through your mag well. Use your pistol to get to your other "Pistol"/Firearm/Rifle - odds are you will never need your longer gun *that* fast.
Old 14 January 2020, 20:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Most auto break-ins are opportunity crimes - no tools. Go to Tractor Supply Co. and get one of those thick, coated Master cable locks. Loop it around the steel seat post, bolted to the steel truck frame, and through your mag well. Use your pistol to get to your other "Pistol"/Firearm/Rifle - odds are you will never need your longer gun *that* fast.
Iím not locking shit. Cameras are everywhere. Agree with the rest.

Mr. TDY.
Old 15 January 2020, 08:55
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Iím not locking shit. Cameras are everywhere. Agree with the rest.

Mr. TDY.
Are you talking about cameras watching your truck in the driveway? Sure. But I'm talking about not contributing to the Anti-Gunners agenda, and arming scumbags, when some Meth-Head breaks a window while I'm in Tractor Supply Co. buying Dog Food.
Old 15 January 2020, 09:09
Clorox bearer for SOTB

4 German Shepherds watch my Jeep in the driveway, and my house, 24/7.

AR pistol in a racket ball racket bag with 2 30 rnd and one 20 rnd mags in a mag pouch with a canvas strap on it so I can grab and go. SS 109, with last two tracer.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 15 January 2020, 10:09
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
4 German Shepherds watch my Jeep in the driveway, and my house, 24/7.

AR pistol in a racket ball racket bag with 2 30 rnd and one 20 rnd mags in a mag pouch with a canvas strap on it so I can grab and go. SS 109, with last two tracer.
I found some Hornady Black ammo, 75 grain Interlock soft point that is made for SBR's. That's what I carry for mine.
Old 15 January 2020, 10:19
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I just read an article from my CCW Insurance company on truck guns. The author discusses that various types of truck guns, why one may have one and some pros and cons.

Do you have a truck gun in your truck? Why did you pick that particular weapon and what have you done with it to date.

I keep a POF AR Pistol in 5.56 in my truck. I picked it because I want more range and accuracy than my CCW in the event of a active shooter. I got it out today to kill a coyote, but Wiley was too quick.

Discuss........
Thought you were into oddball 6. whatever?
Old 15 January 2020, 10:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
All I read was, I have to go to Tractor supply. No problems there, I can practically open my own just by hanging the sign above my garage door.
Old 15 January 2020, 11:38
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Taurus Judge loaded with .410's

Novelty with real usefulness

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 15 January 2020, 13:08
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I found some Hornady Black ammo, 75 grain Interlock soft point that is made for SBR's. That's what I carry for mine.
I may have to check into those. Thanks.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 15 January 2020, 13:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Are you talking about cameras watching your truck in the driveway? Sure. But I'm talking about not contributing to the Anti-Gunners agenda, and arming scumbags, when some Meth-Head breaks a window while I'm in Tractor Supply Co. buying Dog Food.
No. Driveway & home secure. Only reason I lock the house is because of a grandson.

Just about every business has a camera outside and stoplight here. Turning into fucking China.
Old 15 January 2020, 16:26
Walk the plank

If going out of state for the weekend or a trip, I bring an ar15 in the trunk and have my issued sig on my hip. I dont leave guns, ammo, or anything related other than a benchmade knife/glass breaker/belt cutter in my car overnight.
Old 15 January 2020, 16:32
Confirmed User

I just purchased a truck/travel gun. It's a 44 magnum lever action. It's pretty much legal across the country so it's good for travel as we drive through "slave states" such as Illinois.

Our new posting rules