SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 17 October 2018, 06:24
Make a desert and call it peace.

Carl Gustav as general issue in USMC rifle squad

https://taskandpurpose.com/carl-gust...-marine-corps/

I was never a big fan of the SMAW, I thought it was a needlessly task specific weapon, and so I think this is a decision long overdue. I'm also happy to see these being at the squad level where they'll be a lot more useful than as a concentrated element in the weapons platoon, if that part of the article is correct. Using AT-4's, and later M72 LAW's, as general HE weapons was always a shitty thing IMO, since the HEAT warhead didn't have much/any frag effect vs troops in the open. Issue of real HE-frag rds for the CG for carry by squad members seems like it would be far more effective.

I'm not sure if there will additional CG's available to the weapons platoon ISO the Javelin gunners, as the SMAW's were used or if there's some other plan. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 17 October 2018, 13:00
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Everything old is new again......those of who humped this bad bitch don't forget.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M67_recoilless_rifle

"Similarly, the urban environment of West Berlin prompted the Army to keep the weapon with the 4th, 5th and 6th Battalions of the 502nd Infantry Regiment, Berlin Brigade, as late as winter 1991; the M47 Dragon replaced it in January 1992."

Not quite right, we had it in the 2nd , 3rd, and 4th Battalions of the 6th Infantry Regiment, Berlin Brigade long before they reflagged to the later
designations for whatever reason. We are talking 1978-1980. We also had the Dragon (a worthless POS) but with a 400m minimum engagement range it's of limited value for MOBA/FIBA/MOUT/whatever they are calling these days.

"True love knows the real thing, baby
There's nowhere to hide
It hears every word you never say
And sees through every lie"
Old 17 October 2018, 14:26
A/1/75

What is the shot limit per gunner? Has that changed over the years? Seems I remember 3?

Charlie
Old 17 October 2018, 14:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
What is the shot limit per gunner? Has that changed over the years? Seems I remember 3?
Book answer or TLs answer? Somehow one of those was dependent on the amount of rounds left to shoot that day.
Old 17 October 2018, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
Depends on what round(s) you are shooting, they have different "points" and you can only shoot a certain amount of points in a day. The points count are different for training and combat, but I have seen dudes exceed the combat "limit" as well because, well, it is combat.
Old 20 October 2018, 11:01
BTDT

Round limits? When I had the 90...

Old 20 October 2018, 11:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post

In late '77, we (the AT Sections of 1/75) shot the entire BN basic load out because the ammunition was going to hit its expiration date. Both HEAT and APERS- well over 100 rounds per section.

That was my first experience on the range and in the field with 1/75...
Old 20 October 2018, 13:54
Make a desert and call it peace.

Well, that explains the brain damage.....

So what ammunition types are in US type classification for the M3? I've seen HE-frag and practice types, I'm assuming a HEAT, is it the tandem warhead version? S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 20 October 2018, 15:36
Confirmed User

I'm just glad they got the weight down from the 1970's. It was worse having to carry that rat bastard than the GPMG and you had to have an SLR on top, those were the days, don't come whining with the weight of a combat load of 5.56 mm.
Old 22 October 2018, 06:45
A/1/75

Ken, they have a round for everything
https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...nitions/84.htm

Charlie
Old 22 October 2018, 16:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
In late '77, we (the AT Sections of 1/75) shot the entire BN basic load out because the ammunition was going to hit its expiration date. Both HEAT and APERS- well over 100 rounds per section.

That was my first experience on the range and in the field with 1/75...
That type of thing, and the requisite end-of-fiscal-year shoot-a-thons were why we eventually ran out of ammo. Great training-- but hard on ammo-supply. Other than war-stock... No ammo. Out. We trained with sub-cals, which sucked.

We tried buying back ammo from South Korea (or somewhere)-- something like 15,000 rounds. But when it arrived by ship, some self-important gov't bureaucrat with no sense of scale rejected the entire shipment for mold on the packing-tubes. You know-- those tar-covered cardboard individual packages? Apparently they had some mold on them, or what looks like mold to a bureaucrat. Not on the rounds. On the packaging. So we got zero rounds. Back to sub-cals.

When I took over the section, we had no ammo (we got 2 APERS rounds I think) for a year. I had SP4 gunners who had never shot an actual HEAT round. I contacted Carl Gustav, and did the initial groundwork, wrote proposals (I had a lot of help), etc. I don't know who else might've been doing the same thing at 2d, 3d, or Rgt, I hope someone was... but several years later I met a guy who had worked at 18th Abn Corps, who had to buy the first batch of Gustavs. He asked if I knew anything about "some hot shot young sgt at 1st Batt who wrote papers and letters and ran me around until I finally had to buy some Carl Gustavs.

I stuck out my hand and said "Pleased ta meetcha."

Our new posting rules