SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 16 April 2020, 11:04
BTDT

Civilian ATAK Released

CivTAK

https://www.takciv.org/2020/03/31/ci...download-here/

82MB .APK file. Have not loaded it yet, just an FYI. Have not scanned it for baddies, either - as usual, side loading apk's is big-boy rules.

WHO lauds lockdown-ignoring Sweden as a ‘model’ for countries going forward.

By Jackie Salo, NY Post

April 29, 2020 | 3:24pm

Next...

Old 16 April 2020, 11:32
Been There Done That

Let us know what you think once you try it out. I know several guys who run android phones as a second device only because of ATAK, which works well if you are a gov user. I'm curious how the civilian version works against other civilian options like Leadnav or SitRep.
Old 16 April 2020, 12:36
Been There Done That

that's interesting, I still remember the initial releases via Draper.
Old 16 April 2020, 19:22
Authorized Personnel

While this is super interesting. I'm going to look into as far as I can but will be anxiously awaiting input from you tech savvy guys. This answers an RFI a buddy of mine had. Wonder how secure it'll be. Let the research begin!
Old 17 April 2020, 04:26
BTDT

This is waaaaaaay after I hung up the Merrell's, there wasn't even an iPhone. Installed fine, runs fine, didn't notice any untoward behavior.

I am overwhelmed - need to read the manual. First step is figure out how to get and load maps. Thought it was cool that MGRS was used the minute I turned on the GPS.

From just perusing the comments on the project, there may be self build servers in python - but now I'm really lost, lol.

By Jackie Salo, NY Post

Next...

Old 17 April 2020, 18:55
Authorized Personnel

I tried running it via Bluestacks on a Mac, but no joy haha.

Safety is binary - Security is emotional
Old 17 April 2020, 22:35
Confirmed User

I started reading and hit loads of jargon and acronyms I don't understand.
Would this be something a 100% civilian without a drone would find useful? I can get anything to run on anything - question of how lost I'd be once it was up and running
Old 18 April 2020, 07:34
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by assertnull View Post
I started reading and hit loads of jargon and acronyms I don't understand.
Would this be something a 100% civilian without a drone would find useful? I can get anything to run on anything - question of how lost I'd be once it was up and running
Like I said, man - way after my time I heard it's a navigation dream, even without data coverage - so I'm thinking, hunting, camping, etc... I just don't know - I learned about it by seeing phones, horizontally, on .mil plate carriers

By Jackie Salo, NY Post

Next...

Old 18 April 2020, 09:33
In Vino Veritas

I have zero idea why a civilian would want to run ATAK. It takes a lot of battery and it’s heavy on features you’d be very unlikely to use. Maybe to call in CAS?
Old 18 April 2020, 10:05
Newbie shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I have zero idea why a civilian would want to run ATAK. It takes a lot of battery and it’s heavy on features you’d be very unlikely to use. Maybe to call in CAS?
paintball in the woods with multiple people?

Id love to mess with it, but i don't see the appeal while stuck in my house for now...
Old 18 April 2020, 12:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
The more I read, the more it's looking like this. I downloaded out of impulse, but haven't yet installed.

I have ViewRanger on my phone. It isn't the greatest, but was fun to play with in the woods.

This seems like that plus...a bunch of other widgets that are cool, but have no application to my outdoorsing. I'm more likely to fall out of a tree and need my battery to call 911.

Maybe worth throwing on a spare/old phone. Likely falls into the "fun but minimally useful unless you're a drone hobbyist" bucket
Old 8 May 2020, 11:34
Marine

Quote:
I've been kind of keeping an eye on this and chatting with some of the guys who are tinkering with the Public Release version of ATAK. Most of them are looking at it for ways to have an off-grid mapping and communications tool by pairing it with some sort of radio. The TAK Product Center has made this pretty difficult by making ATAK-PR incompatible with plugins, but apparently some guys have already figured out how to tinker with the APK so that it will now work with ATAK-CIV plugins. That opens up the possibility of using it with goTenna if they were able to obtain the goTenna plugin for ATAK-CIV. There's been some talk about finding a way to make it communicate over APRS and LoRa as well, neither of which I know anything about. Some of these guys want it for prepping, others for SAR work, and there are some airsoft types who want to use it for "battle" tracking their buddies.

Neither the CIV nor PR versions have the CAS tools built in, since that's considered a controlled item under ITAR.
"This is how it is when the war machine rolls back and forth. You take your pleasure where you can and when you can, and let the circumstances be damned. For tomorrow you may be somewhere else." - Cass

"I understand all of the words you used, but I don't know what you just said." - Gen. Hagee speaking to the MEU S-3
Old 9 May 2020, 10:16
Been There Done That

Beartooth might be a better alternative for civilians.

https://beartooth <dot> com/
Old 9 May 2020, 20:13
In Vino Veritas

Go tenna isn’t all that great from my limited experience.

I know some people who were experimenting with beartooth but it wasn’t the 100% solution to what they were looking for.

Whether civ or mil, being able to quickly throw up your own closed, effective, network among devices without the popo or FIS being any the wiser, before you take it down, is going to be a necessity, right now really.
Old 10 May 2020, 13:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Go tenna isn’t all that great from my limited experience.

I know some people who were experimenting with beartooth but it wasn’t the 100% solution to what they were looking for.

Whether civ or mil, being able to quickly throw up your own closed, effective, network among devices without the popo or FIS being any the wiser, before you take it down, is going to be a necessity, right now really.

I could get on board that as a "hobby" project.

Our new posting rules