SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 10 April 2020, 14:06
Confirmed User

Hangouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Google has a competing product
Oh duh - hangouts or whatever the named it
Trojan: Well as I tell everyone I meet. Godfather is the only one I know who can pull it off.
Godfather: You should also put that in your Sig line on SocNet, that way you don't have to meet people to get the word out :)
Old 10 April 2020, 15:26
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Have your co-counsels ask their IT department what is permitted. They should have a solution prepped as per their internal policy.

To add context, this wasn't me tossing shade back to them. IT teams need to facilitate the needs of the business. If they're restricting access to one solution, another should be present. Threats crop up when teams become draconian and incentivize users to go around, thus introducing new risks. TL, DR: they likely have a solution (or should).
Unfortunately, they're not all in one firm. I'm an IT neophyte, so pardon me, but my question should have been: is there a solution (program) that is generally more "acceptable" under "normal" IT policies? So far, we've had to stick with conference calls, but, I see a need upcoming that may require video and potentially desktop viewing. I also understand that most IT departments operate under risk adverse protocols.
Old 10 April 2020, 15:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Unfortunately, they're not all in one firm. I'm an IT neophyte, so pardon me, but my question should have been: is there a solution (program) that is generally more "acceptable" under "normal" IT policies? So far, we've had to stick with conference calls, but, I see a need upcoming that may require video and potentially desktop viewing. I also understand that most IT departments operate under risk adverse protocols.
They do, and bad shops are the ones that cause the business to sacrifice. Check out Google Hangouts, or some of the other options that were mentioned here.
Old 10 April 2020, 16:23
Swimming Upstream

According to the Cyberwire, Zoom traffic has also been routed through China.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 10 April 2020, 16:34
Authorized Personnel

Correct. This is because AWS has regional zones in China. Zoom didn't appropriately geo-fence their medical app/service in that region for supporting remote coronavirus consults. They should be slammed for rushing this to market.
Old 10 April 2020, 16:42
Administrator

If anyone thinks Zoom and the Chinese gov aren't connected I have some swampland to sell you.
Old 10 April 2020, 16:45
Authorized Personnel

It seems weird to focus on Zoom when all the big tech firms are in with the Chinese government.
Old 10 April 2020, 17:59
Administrator

But not to the people forced into using what amounts to a compromised platform due to current events.

Most of the other big tech firms have been called out before and Zoom has seen an explosion of use, so it makes sense to warn off people now.
Old 10 April 2020, 19:39
Been There Done That

We received a notice from DOJ directing all subordinate agencies not to use ZOOM because of China. Many were invited in Zoom but had to drop it Immediately. I got a technical read from HQ and it really opened my eyes.
Old 11 April 2020, 18:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
We received a notice from DOJ directing all subordinate agencies not to use ZOOM because of China.
Our local NETCOM freaked and sent out a notice about DOD clients not authorized to use it after high usage here.
Old 14 April 2020, 10:34
Authorized Personnel

Related, so didn't think a new thread was needed. This is more bad press for them, but not caused by the last big ball of crap. Credential stuffing is an issue all over the web.

Change your password and enable 2FA, even if you don't plan to use Zoom again.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...-the-dark-web/

Quote:
Over 500,000 Zoom accounts are being sold on the dark web and hacker forums for less than a penny each, and in some cases, given away for free.

These credentials are gathered through credential stuffing attacks where threat actors attempt to login to Zoom using accounts leaked in older data breaches. The successful logins are then compiled into lists that are sold to other hackers.

Some of these Zoom accounts are offered for free on hacker forums so that hackers can use them in zoom-bombing pranks and malicious activities. Others are sold for less than a penny each.
Quote:
The purchased accounts include a victim's email address, password, personal meeting URL, and their HostKey.
Old 14 April 2020, 17:52
Legal Immigrant

I'm still baffled at this explosion of use of a new platform, when old platforms work just fine?

Skype for Business got me through many an online work conference.
FaceTime video got me through many family chats.

So what's the fascination with Zoom? I'm now seeing fundraising charities using it to coordinate, despite all the warnings about it.

Our new posting rules