SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 10 April 2020, 16:17
Been There Done That

Google and Apple team up to violate user privacy

Absolutely staggering but as some here surmised all along there's no reason to let a good crisis go to waste.

Quote:
Topline: Apple and Google announced a partnership Friday to create contact tracing technology with a goal of reducing the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus. ...
I am 100% opposed to this and will de-platform from both companies' products if this actually goes through.

LINK
Old 10 April 2020, 16:20
Swimming Upstream

I don't mind PROVIDED it is voluntary, a person opts in and there is no backdoor, secret collection of location data.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 10 April 2020, 16:24
Authorized Personnel

There's two steps here initially:
1) You have to download and install the app
2) You have to authorize the sharing of data

Later on, the option will be included with the device, but your consent (#2) is still required via opt-in.

The amount of data we're sharing now blows shit, and all the consumer electronics and telecommunications companies are to blame, 100%.
Old 10 April 2020, 16:25
Vivat Fraternitatis

"All features will be opt in." Until you must opt in to be allowed out of your house, because that's the direction this is all going.
Old 10 April 2020, 16:28
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
"All features will be opt in." Until you must opt in to be allowed out of your house, because that's the direction this is all going.
Damn it! I can't find my phone...as usual.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 10 April 2020, 16:28
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Correct. The argument will be made that owning a phone is not a right, so you can forego, even though we know that's horseshit.
Old 10 April 2020, 20:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
I get it and I know you do as well. What has my hackles up is that Google has been repeatedly taken to task for what’s at best passive collection and at worst active collection without user consent.

Why this, from the start, should be any different, I’m not sure. But there is a historical pattern here and I really don’t like Apple converging with it.
Old 10 April 2020, 20:11
Renuo Victima Esse

There is always someone in the IT group that is thinking multiple steps ahead of the rest concerning how the technology can be used in the future. Those are the ones that are scary because there is probably a percentage of them that consider it for nefarious purposes.
Old 10 April 2020, 20:25
Confirmed User

We are all in the beginnings of the Collective Borg future. Enviability is futile.
Old 10 April 2020, 21:14
Confirmed User

Google = Android
Apple = iPhone

Let's take a trip into what if land...

What if the economic outcome becomes much worse, say >20-30% unemployment.
COVID19 mutates into COVID19.1, .2, ...n or simply each attempt to remove quarantine restrictions causes increased deaths and the same strain on society...so quarantine is permanent, until a vaccine is successfully deployed and statistical significance shows the vaccine has worked.

The government decides to up the $1200 UBI check to say $5000 per month as part of the only way to save the economy.

The best way to deliver that $5000 per month or $164.38 per day is through your IOS or Android phone...IF you agree to geofencing yourself within your property and are required to have your mobile device on you whenever you are outside your property.

In order to get approval to leave your property for grocery shopping, medical visits or other essential (deemed) jobs, you must submit a request with route, location, reason, timing, vehicle license plate, occupants etc... to the local National Guard who is in control of the "battle space"

There are checkpoints with QR code scanners that you scan along the route.

As well, there would be patrols of National Guard with a QR code scanner and they randomly scan individuals outside their geo-fenced locations. If you are scanned and not on an approved mission, you don't receive your $164.38 gubmint check that day.

Lot's of holes in this theory but if I was running things and we were up against those sorts of issues, COVID (mutations and no herd defense), massive unemployment and thinking about ways to solve it. This plan would be high on my list of options.
Trojan: Well as I tell everyone I meet. Godfather is the only one I know who can pull it off.
Godfather: You should also put that in your Sig line on SocNet, that way you don't have to meet people to get the word out :)
Old 10 April 2020, 21:23
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojancd View Post
Google = Android
Apple = iPhone

Let's take a trip into what if land...

What if the economic outcome becomes much worse, say >20-30% unemployment.
COVID19 mutates into COVID19.1, .2, ...n or simply each attempt to remove quarantine restrictions causes increased deaths and the same strain on society...so quarantine is permanent, until a vaccine is successfully deployed and statistical significance shows the vaccine has worked.

The government decides to up the $1200 UBI check to say $5000 per month as part of the only way to save the economy.

The best way to deliver that $5000 per month or $164.38 per day is through your IOS or Android phone...IF you agree to geofencing yourself within your property and are required to have your mobile device on you whenever you are outside your property.

In order to get approval to leave your property for grocery shopping, medical visits or other essential (deemed) jobs, you must submit a request with route, location, reason, timing, vehicle license plate, occupants etc... to the local National Guard who is in control of the "battle space"

There are checkpoints with QR code scanners that you scan along the route.

As well, there would be patrols of National Guard with a QR code scanner and they randomly scan individuals outside their geo-fenced locations. If you are scanned and not on an approved mission, you don't receive your $164.38 gubmint check that day.

Lot's of holes in this theory but if I was running things and we were up against those sorts of issues, COVID (mutations and no herd defense), massive unemployment and thinking about ways to solve it. This plan would be high on my list of options.
Then we will have become China

Old 10 April 2020, 21:26
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Then we will have become China
Yep...and by that point, we would have a non-existent Constitution and might as well get ready to be transported to the camps....
Old 10 April 2020, 21:38
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
I get it and I know you do as well. What has my hackles up is that Google has been repeatedly taken to task for what’s at best passive collection and at worst active collection without user consent.

Why this, from the start, should be any different, I’m not sure. But there is a historical pattern here and I really don’t like Apple converging with it.
I'm right there with you dude. Was just saying the opt-in clause is ridiculous given that it will inevitably be not opt in during the next fear-grab. This infrastructure is going to give better POL / Graph data than the PRISM architects ever imagined. And all it took was a little "think about the vulnerable."
Old 10 April 2020, 21:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Damn it! I can't find my phone...as usual.
In China, it’s increasingly difficult to exist without a mobile device in public or private.

I suspect they will push their formula to the developing world.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 10 April 2020, 21:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
I'm right there with you dude. Was just saying the opt-in clause is ridiculous given that it will inevitably be not opt in during the next fear-grab. This infrastructure is going to give better POL / Graph data than the PRISM architects ever imagined. And all it took was a little "think about the vulnerable."
There has got to be a recipe that can balance freedom and personal privacy with the legitimate need for minimising invasiveness of state utility of your data.

Old 10 April 2020, 21:55
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
There has got to be a recipe that can balance freedom and personal privacy with the legitimate need for minimising invasiveness of state utility of your data.
In the United States that used to be called the Constitution.
Old 10 April 2020, 22:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
This. But, let’s not kid ourselves. That ship has sailed and won’t be corrected without conflict. Probably our grandchildren’s generation.
Old 10 April 2020, 23:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
I wonder if countries like Estonia and Iceland are two that might provide some idea on how to seperate personal freedom and privacy from perceived sovereign necessity?

Perhaps an increasingly overdue need for a new constitutional amendment on privacy?

But then that would require comprehensive bipartisan collaboration.

Old 11 April 2020, 01:28
Legal Immigrant

Wait until they realise this tech can be used to "help fight" ALL viruses.

It will suddenly become imperative to force it upon us all, for our safety. The ease with which this lockdown farce has been enacted, and not fought, is staggering. It will now become easier to accept, and more common.
Old 11 April 2020, 06:43
Confirmed User

Didnt South Korea use a phone app to track the illness, and inform people that they crossed path etc with infected people? Is this the same thing?

Our new posting rules