Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 13 February 2018, 11:44
Administrator

Maybe this will work better...

Gaan sien 'n fokken dokter jou idioot

You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 13 February 2018, 12:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Maybe this will work better...

Gaan sien 'n fokken dokter jou idioot

Sharky for the win, using those language and cross-cultural skills....
Old 13 February 2018, 13:50
Sub Rosa

Burns suck! I spent a month at the Army hospital in Stuttgart for burns resulting from a training accident. My initial debriedment to both hands were without pain meds because I had sustained a concussion and lost consciousness. They had to use multiple medics to keep me on the table. Did I say it sucked! Anyway, they initially put ointment on my hands and wrapped me up. The next day at Stuttgart, they removed the bandages and I had a blister encompassing my left palm and multiple other blisters on both hands. They cut that away and permitted the drain and then reapplied ointment. Once I started healing, I had to undergo whirlpool treatments to remove the dead skin from both hands, again not fun. Also during this period, my hands were forced to remain open via a splint to ensure proper skin growth. The doc also prescribed occupational therapy in the form of macrame so I'd use my fingers. Ultimately, I ended up with full use of my hands, but numbness in multiple fingers, and some cool scars. I say again, burns suck and don't try to treat it yourself!
Old 13 February 2018, 14:03
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Ultimately, I ended up with full use of my hands, but numbness in multiple fingers, and some cool scars. I say again, burns suck and don't try to treat it yourself!
Make any cool macrame pot holders?
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 13 February 2018, 14:07
Darwin Award Presenter

Aside from the obvious concern for infection, burns to the hand are a great concern for functionality of the hand after the burns heal. Some burns require splints to be worn to maintain range of motion, grip strength, and avoid contractures.
Old 13 February 2018, 14:37
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Make any cool macrame pot holders?
LOL, I'm lucky I can tie my shoes. However, the chick running the sessions was not bad looking so I didn't mind spending time screwing up my knots...
Old 13 February 2018, 22:30
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soutpiel View Post
Well thanks for the concern n wotnot. I suppose I should learn to tailor the phrasing my queries a bit better for my audience.
Forget that I'm the guy with a sore hand.

My query should have gone more along the lines of: "There are differing schools of thought (primarily dry out and abrade vs keep clean and moist) out there on 2nd and (small scale) 3rd degree burn treatment. Would anyone here have an opinion or personal experience anecdote on what they consider to be the preferred course of action after initial treatment"

SITREP on my hand, the bad bits are my pinky and ring fingers (the unimportant ones ) with 2nd degree burns, and each has a spot that looks pretty 3rd degree-ish with discolouration n wotnot and I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm (literally, in the next hour) heading out to the bush on a job so I'll keep it clean and see how it goes. So far I've kept it clean and moist with burn dressing goo etc and it's coming along ok, but will change tack if it gets funky.
The votes are in and have been tallied! Get your arse to the Doctor ASAP

As if another Medic's advice will make a difference

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 16 February 2018, 13:45
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soutpiel View Post

with 2nd degree burns, and each has a spot that looks pretty 3rd degree-ish with discolouration n wotnot and I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm (literally, in the next hour) heading out to the bush on a job so I'll keep it clean and see how it goes. So far I've kept it clean and moist with burn dressing goo etc and it's coming along ok, but will change tack if it gets funky.
You're pretty thick dude. Unwise, to say the least. You asked us for medical advice and not one of us has said to just keep an eye on it. 2nd and 3rd degree burns on your hand are no joke, and is going to result in a massive infection, and loss of those fingers, perhaps your whole hand, arm, or life if bad enough.
We've done our part, do yours. See a physician before is too late.
Goodluck.

Our new posting rules