SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 4 February 2015, 17:44
Been There Done That

Army Revokes Silver Star

I found this article in the WP today interesting and figured there was probably some members on this board that knew more than the article presents.
Capt. Golsteyn was originally awarded the SS which was later upgraded to the DSC by big Army. Secretary McHugh revoked the his DSC pending an investigation which brought no charges to Capt Golsteyn, yet he did not reinstate his DSC or the original SS. Something doesn't seem right and was wondering if anyone here had further information. Thanks. Back to my lane in the Bulk Fuel thread.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/c...investigation/
Old 4 February 2015, 22:01
Been There Done That

Almost sounds kind o eerily similar to what happened to Special Forces Col. Robert Rheault during the Vietnam war.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 5 February 2015, 03:17
In Vino Veritas

Maybe Godzilla will weigh in?
Old 5 February 2015, 20:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Maybe Godzilla will weigh in?
Reading this article yesterday was the first I've heard of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Is the same Kearney who was involved w/ Fox Co, MARSOC?

If he is, I've got nothing good to say of that fucker.
I got called to the carpet by Kearney in '06. Got pulled out of a FB after action I took was questioned. After 2 long weeks in the rear, I RTB and went back to work. Accusations that were made were incredible.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 5 February 2015, 14:59
Rest In Peace

Actually it sounds like what happened to Dave Staffel and Troy Anderson, but with even thinner evidence against Golsteyn.

http://www.captainsjournal.com/2007/...neral-kearney/
Old 5 February 2015, 16:01
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hognose View Post
Actually it sounds like what happened to Dave Staffel and Troy Anderson, but with even thinner evidence against Golsteyn.

http://www.captainsjournal.com/2007/...neral-kearney/

That's who I thought this was about when I first saw it.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 5 February 2015, 16:07
Unemployed Stunt Double

Troy Anderson and I went to the Q together, good dude.

In his case, the problem was that Frank Kearney was not aware of the difference between offensive and defensive ROE. The TB that Anderson shot was a JPEL, so he was good to shoot no matter what he was doing...walking the dog, sleeping, playing with a sheep...as long as he was not surrendering. Kearney thought that since said JPEL was not a threat, he could not be engaged. I guess he slept through all those ROE briefs that the rest of us paid attention to.

Kearney also ordered a charge sheet drawn up, and directed the contents, which we call "Unlawful Command Influence." The SFA tried to have Kearney charged criminally, but, asshole generals protect each other.
Old 7 February 2015, 19:57
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post

In his case, the problem was that Frank Kearney was not aware of the difference between offensive and defensive ROE. The TB that Anderson shot was a JPEL, so he was good to shoot no matter what he was doing...walking the dog, sleeping, playing with a sheep...as long as he was not surrendering. Kearney thought that since said JPEL was not a threat, he could not be engaged. I guess he slept through all those ROE briefs that the rest of us paid attention to.

Kearney also ordered a charge sheet drawn up, and directed the contents, which we call "Unlawful Command Influence." The SFA tried to have Kearney charged criminally, but, asshole generals protect each other.
I had no idea that Kearney was still fucking over soldiers.

I held back on publishing my book for many reasons, but one reason was to avoid hurting the feelings of his son, who by all accounts is a fine young officer. He is depicted in Restrepo and that other documentary by Junger.

You see, Kearney was a coward on Calivigny, I was not the only one who witnessed it. Our Battalion Commander at the time, Ralph Hagler, was well aware of it. He told me so.

I expressly ran the section of the book where I discuss Kearney's cowardice past both LTC Hagler and an esteemed senior Ranger commander who is a member on these boards. They both advised me to "write it as I saw it." They read what I wrote, and they thought about it before they spoke. So I did.

I have no desire to stand in judgement over an officer who reportedly overcame his cowardice when he made his second combat jump over Panama, and who ascended to the pinnacles of professional success after long service on the dark side, but when I hear about Kearney throwing his weight around like this it reminds me of the reasons why I hated him before he displayed conspicuous cowardice on Calivigny.

Full disclosure: Kearney fired me as A Co senior medic because he wanted to court martial Kevin Lannon for stupid reasons and I intervened. Lannon was my junior medic, and yes, he required a firm hand, but he was a good kid. It is possible that Gerry Eric will remember these events, as well as RB (Sumo?), who has not been seen on these boards in quite some time. RB, and CPT Bob Kane, the Battalion Surgeon, were the reason why Kearney could not just DX me and send me down the road. I had just returned from Med Lab, and I was one of the first four Ranger medics to complete the SF Medic course in its entirety. The Battalion needed to get its pound of flesh out of me.

That is why I was up at RIP as cadre medic in the first place when Urgent Fury kicked off. Kearney kicked me out of A Co. I do not remember what happened to Lannon. Maybe he got an article 15. But he was not DX'd. I got sent to RIP, and that is why Gerry Eric was senior medic. I had like 30 days time in service on him, and 30 days time in rank, so he finally got to take over as company senior medic after I crossed Kearney for the last time.

Kearney was the worst spotlight Ranger that I saw in my abbreviated career, and I had nothing but contempt for him. Among his memorable whoppers was him staying in the rear where he could hit the gym on main post Ft. Lewis every day while our company froze our asses off and starved in the middle of the South Ranier Training Area for a week of raid, recon and ambush.

Kearney never bothered to take a jeep ride out to look at us that week. He claimed that he had a lot of paperwork to do. We were well aware that he just wanted to take a week off so that he could lift weights, sleep in a warm bed, eat good chow in the RDF, and tap his PT goddess wife. But Kearney put running shoes and PT Blues on the packing list, we humped that shit all week long, so that he could drive out at the end of the week and lead the company on a long run at a blistering pace back to the barracks.

Kearney finally drove out there, freshly shaved and groomed, smelling of cologne, while we had been walking forever, eating one and a half MREs a day, sleeping little, freezing the way that you can only freeze in the winter in that North American rain forest. And he ran us back to the barracks like he was a bad ass. I cursed him with every step.

Frank Kearney was a punk. Mike Cameron, formerly SGT, 2d Ranger Battalion, later an esteemed inspector in the Marshal's Service, came back from the line of consolidation after A Co assaulted through the Calivigny barracks. Cameron was scavenging 7.62 rounds from the birds that crashed on the site.

As I kneeled five meters away from Kearney to give him the casualty report, telling him that he needed to evacuate Bill Eskridge immediately, as he was expectant, and I did not expect him to survive, Kearney croaked out to Mike Cameron: "what's going on up there, Sergeant Cameron?"

Cameron looked at me, he looked back at Kearney, like he could not believe what he was seeing, and I will forever love him for this: he said, "why don't crawl out of your hole and come up and see for yourself, sir?" And then Cameron trudged back up to the line, where the 60's were low on bullets.

Kearney hid in a shell hole on Calivigny. He did not lead shit. That bastard hid.

I get it. I was scared, too. But not one other Ranger on that assault gave in to their fear. Just Frank Kearney.

How that piece of shit was not immediately cashiered, I will never understand. As the years passed, I was astonished to see him continue his rise in JSOC.

A few years ago a younger Ranger told me that he sat next to Kearney on the flight down to Panama, and he told me that Kearney was calm and comforting and that he made him feel a lot better as he dealt with his butterflies before the combat jump onto Rio Hato. Maybe it was Tocumen. I forget. Kearney was XO in 3d Bat, I believe, by this time. You guys who know him and who have better memories than me, jump in, please. A combat jump is nothing to sniff at. So I forgave Kearney, or, rather, I tried.

I figured, well, here is an example of a coward who later found his honor and his bravery, and he overcame it. And so I wrote it. It appears that a long footnote may be needed here. I do not want to compile an endless list of the sins of Frank Kearney, but it seems apparent that that leopard did not change his spots, and he continued screwing good men over for the remainder of his career. So maybe we need to post a thread where everyone can enunciate the career-long transgressions of Ranger Kearney.

Another thing that earned Kearney some forgiveness from me, was that Bill Sears loved him, and Kearney never forgot him, and he stayed in touch with Bill for years. We lost Bill this year, just a few months ago, to cancer. That earned Kearney a lot of mercy from me.

But when I hear that Kearney pulled whoppers like this, it pisses me off. That piece of shit was a spotlight Ranger and a coward. He is living proof that you can be stupid but have huge arms and look good in a uniform and ride that shit all the way to the top. Yes, it helps if you are a West Pointer, as Kearney was. (I may as well piss everyone off). Kearney is not a rocket scientist. I knew him as a CPT. He was not a good commander.

I do not like writing these words. I am well aware that they will be divisive, and there will be a lot of Rangers out there who think that I am stepping wrong by writing them. Like any Ranger commander, Frank Kearney has his fan club. I am sure that a lot of Rangers who are smarter and better men than me will shake their head that I air out our dirty laundry in public.

I have held off from publishing my book for years because I did not want to unfairly malign Frank Kearney. There were other reasons, but that was one of the main ones. I do not take it lightly, recounting another Ranger's cowardice.

One thing that happens in the Ranger community is that anyone who steps out of ranks, anyone who pops his head up, is liable to get smacked back down. Who the fuck am I to write a book and state in writing that Frank Kearney was a coward? He retired as a LTG, he was a commander in JSOC. What did I ever do in comparison? Nothing. Frank Kearney had to have allies in order to flourish as he did.

Just a couple of weeks ago, one of the officers from our company reminded me that he was present, in the room, when Kearney decided to elevate my decoration to a SS. He said that Kearney wrote the citation. He said that word came down from the Herb, from Hagler, that one of the citations should get bumped up to a SS. He said that Kearney said, "making it a medic makes it play better."

He covered himself, saying "do not get me wrong, you done good," but he was making the point that I should leaven my contempt for Kearney with the knowledge that he was the one, allegedly, who decided that my decoration should be bumped. I leave him unnamed, but there were not that many officers in A Co. Should he ever come across this post, he can jump in and out himself if he likes. He was a good Ranger and officer.

So I figured that I should not judge a fellow Ranger, a soldier, an officer, so harshly.

Fuck it. Maybe I will. Kearney can write his own book if he does not like what I have to say in mine.
Old 5 February 2015, 16:44
Another pool cleaner

Old 5 February 2015, 17:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post

Same guy.
Old 6 February 2015, 10:28
Been There Done That

As I read the article I got angry, how in the fuck does some shithead general in a command tent going to go after these warriors out doing the mission they were ordered? They got the right enemy target, no friendlies dead, perfect mission.

What can ordinary folks do to move the needle here? Call or write their congressperson?
Those bureaucratic idiots think they can "strip" him of his Special Forces tab. Sorry pieces of crap only have that authority on paper.

http://www.*********.com/story/milit...tion/22930207/
AT link masked, paste this to end
/story/military/2015/02/05/green-beret-matt-golsteyn-silver-star-stripped-investigation/22930207/
Old 7 February 2015, 13:31
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
Those bureaucratic idiots think they can "strip" him of his Special Forces tab.
Tab revocation for soldiers at ODA level is very common now. Revocation of security clearance often accompanies this. Both are done "administratively," so there is no due process required in the traditional sense (i.e. right to face your accusers, see the evidence against you, cross-examination of witnesses, etc).
Old 6 February 2015, 18:54

I'm nowhere near a BTDT, but this smells of political payback to me.
Old 7 February 2015, 13:11
Been There Done That

The latest article about it points the finger of blame at the CIA.

Quote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/02/06/cia-job-interview-led-to-criminal-investigation-of-green-beret/
This is why I advise guys who served on an ODA in the GWOT to never take a lifestyle poly. Ever.
19 Oct 2017
Old 7 February 2015, 13:23
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
The latest article about it points the finger of blame at the CIA.

This is why I advise guys who served on an ODA in the GWOT to never take a lifestyle poly. Ever.
It's not a lie if you don't tell a lie Then again I think most people forgot the lessons they learned in SERE.

Wait! So the Army, and most likely the SF Regiment, stripped his tab without filing ANY charges? This is my shocked face...
Old 7 February 2015, 20:25
Been There Done That

Thanks for the long post Magician, your thoughts and comments, and sharing the history and shedding light on the truth.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 7 February 2015, 20:40
Another pool cleaner

The truth will always vindicate.

Thanks, Magician.
Old 8 February 2015, 00:20
Been There Done That

Magician, I stumbled across your blog a couple years ago and read all the archives over a couple evenings--it was what brought me back to SOCNET after a looooong hiatus, almost ten years. I can't yet speak to your book, but if the writings from your blog are any indication there was nothing about Kearney that you shouldn't publish--not that you need my validation--but I thought your words were quite circumspect and respectful. (Don't know how your blog posts will ultimately fit into your book....) Kearney took over A Co just a few months before I got out. I was his senior RTO so I spent some time with him, but not very much. I recall being very glad he took over for my previous boss, though. (That's a story for another time....)
Old 8 February 2015, 06:38
Whatever Sucks the Most

Murph, I do not remember the commander before Kearney. Was that Maestas? Been too many decades!
Old 8 February 2015, 15:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
Murph, I do not remember the commander before Kearney. Was that Maestas? Been too many decades!
Baughman(n?) He was okay, but a screamer/curser. Acted like a deranged e4 too often.

Our new posting rules