SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 8 February 2015, 11:09
Preparing to defend

Where else has this guy Kearney worked? For some reason, it rings a bad bell in my memory.

Magician, there was a "kearney" in our group that day on Calvigny. One of our Captains that flew one of the downed birds, did the same thing. He hid till we came back in. Then rushed one of the birds to get on before the wounded. The Warrant with him told the sad story about him later.

Combat brings out weird things in people
Old 8 February 2015, 11:42
Confirmed User

Kearney commanded 3/75 (1994-96 IIRC), then went on to command SETAF before it became the 173rd (98-00).
Old 8 February 2015, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN47 View Post
Kearney commanded 3/75 (1994-96 IIRC), then went on to command SETAF before it became the 173rd (98-00).
He was the infantry brigade commander, not the SETAF commander. A brigade that consisted of a battalion of paratroopers and a firing battery. SETAF was ran by a 2 star at the time iirc.
Old 8 February 2015, 13:42
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Where else has this guy Kearney worked? For some reason, it rings a bad bell in my memory.

Magician, there was a "kearney" in our group that day on Calvigny. One of our Captains that flew one of the downed birds, did the same thing. He hid till we came back in. Then rushed one of the birds to get on before the wounded. The Warrant with him told the sad story about him later.

Combat brings out weird things in people
Hey, J.

He worked at SOCOM and JSOC. This is the same Kearney that was on your birds. He commanded A 2/75.

I think that anyone who has been in real combat, where you can catch a bullet in the face with your next breath, understands that there is a coward and a hero inside every single one of us. Every man in that predicament has to wrestle with his own valor and his own fear.

I do not think that anyone can truly understand the meaning of the word cowardice until they experience how it feels to know that you could be dead within the next moment.

Speaking only for myself, one of my legs used to shake. In retrospect, I am not so sure that this was from cowardice or from fear. It may have been from adrenalin. But there is no question that I was certain that I was already a dead man.

As I think back on those moments, I think that I was fortunate. I prayed for the steel to stand next to my Ranger brothers, and most of all, to not fuck up and get anyone killed through my error. God in His infinite wisdom and mercy gave me that much, and more. I am astonished that He still has not taken me. Soon.

So I tried not to judge Kearney so harshly. And as I say, I was mindful of his son. What son wants to hear that his father was a coward?

I have thought long and hard about these matters. I realize that these statements will bring up among a certain class of folks the question, "who does he think that he is?"

I am just a soldier, a former Ranger, to the degree that any alumnus of the Ranger Battalions can be said to be a former Ranger. The imprimatur of the Battalions remains stamped upon me, my loyalty has never wavered, and it never will.

A friend sent me this link:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2007/oct/10/general-rebukes-special-operations-forces/?page=all

I am also reading a DOD IG Report, also sent by a friend, Report Number H07L105376221. Glancing at it, it is heavily redacted. I will post more after I finish it.

It is entitled, "Alleged Misconduct: LTG Francis H. Kearney III, US Army, Deputy Commander, US Special Operations Command."
Old 8 February 2015, 15:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
Murph, I do not remember the commander before Kearney. Was that Maestas? Been too many decades!
Baughman(n?) He was okay, but a screamer/curser. Acted like a deranged e4 too often.
Old 8 February 2015, 16:52
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Baughman(n?) He was okay, but a screamer/curser. Acted like a deranged e4 too often.
Oh, yeah! I forgot about him!
Old 8 February 2015, 16:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoover View Post
He was the infantry brigade commander, not the SETAF commander. A brigade that consisted of a battalion of paratroopers and a firing battery. SETAF was ran by a 2 star at the time iirc.
Rgr. Hastily written on my part- in fact it was called the SETAF Infantry Brigade (SIB), or SETAF Lion Brigade if I am not mistaken. Largest airborne battalion in the Army at the time (1-508 Airborne Battalion Combat Team). When I showed up there MG Bob Wagner was the SETAF Commander.
Old 9 February 2015, 02:47
BTDT

Magic...still here! Write the book! Sorry to hear about Bill Sears...a damn good man!

RB
Old 9 February 2015, 06:49
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMUA View Post
Magic...still here! Write the book! Sorry to hear about Bill Sears...a damn good man!

RB
Damn! Look what the cat dragged in!

Do you remember back in Bat, this would have been .... 1983 ... what the hell that Lannon did to get in the jackpot with Kearney? Do you remember what it was, specifically, that made Kearney fire me and send me to RIP?

If you talk to Gerry, point him at this and get him to weigh in, please.

Yes, I am sure that I was disrespectful to Kearney, and I am sure that I treated him like I thought that he was a punk, but besides that. I remember that he wanted to DX Lannon or give Lannon an Article 15 for some stupid reason or another. Like being late. Some minor thing.

My timeframes are confused because Lannon was in Med Lab in October, 1983, and you and Frank "the chin" Wallace were both gone by then. I remember that you went to 7SFGA. No idea where Wallace went.

You guys were replaced by that asshole Steve "high talker" Brick, who I heard is now wheelchair bound with a colostomy bag in his lap, and Bob Kane, surely one of the sweetest motherfuckers that Jesus ever blessed to wear too many pairs of jungle boots.

My timeframes are jacked up, and I do not remember exactly what made Kearney boot me out of his company.

Any recollections would be welcome. If you want to be discrete, PM me. Or here is another idea. Call me on the fucking phone! For once in your life! You could call your Ranger buddy! What an idea!

Good to hear from you. Tell Gerry to get in here. Oh, yeah! Maddog is on here. I will poke him, and tell him to weigh in. Maybe he still remembers shit that happened more than 30 years ago.
Old 9 February 2015, 08:17
Damn it, it doesn't taste like chicken!

At Magic's Request, Blank Frank Kearney He was the A Co Commander when I got there in April of 82. As a speedy E-2 my interaction with him was limited at first. As about the only idiot who had an Army Drivers license I ended up as his driver (which consisted of driving him to and from the field on the few occasions I actually got to drive the Company Supply Pick Up). As we all know I rode out WW Greneda at Madigan meeting the Hot Nurse. As a CO he was my 1st and not having gone to the show it would be hard for me to make any statements about his performance.

I do believe the 3rd BN Kearney was his son. Daniel P. Kearney. He is also featured in the Movie Restrepo as the Company Commander I do believe? My interactions with him were at a different level and he at least appeared to me to be rather switched on.

Ola IMUA and tell Gerry its good he is still alive as well. I second the Write the Book Magic, you know you'll sell at least 2 copies (well 3 as I'll buy 2)
Cover Me With Death If I Should Ever Fail.
Glory, Majesty, Unity - Hail, Hail, Hail
Old 9 February 2015, 08:23
Whatever Sucks the Most

My brother, your money will never be any good with me.

But you do still owe me for finding that hot nurse at Madigan and inviting her to go up to Huck Creek with us! Yes! I still remember that!

Thanks for jumping in. Maybe some others have something to add.
Old 9 February 2015, 08:24
BTDT

I cannot remember why Lennon was in trouble. I seem to remember that it happened in Panama while we were at JOTC. I cannot dispute magician's recollections on Calvigney, I never saw Kearney on infil. I did loose my helmet and when it was returned to me the next day, it had Captains bars drawn out it. Never figured out who did it, but the suspect pool was small.
Old 9 February 2015, 08:43
Whatever Sucks the Most

Thanks, Gerry.

Please check PMs.
Old 9 February 2015, 08:55
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

M and I never worked in the same units, so I offer no credible insight to the actions he states occurred.

Except.

For a brief time, I had the opportunity to work with M in a place where surprisingly we were shot at every day (sounds sexier and more badass than it really was, LOL).

In the time I worked with M, I saw him as fantastically calm, devoted to his work and taking care of those whom he worked with, and I had the sad experience of watching a former Soldier do his bloody well best to fuck M, including purportedly to the most extreme result.

I never saw M take the open (and even obvious) road to disparage this other person or the assclowns which surrounded M at the time. Actually, he seemed to do his best to take the opposite path.

As such, if M tells me the events above, I give not the slightest hesitation as taking them as gospel, word for word.

M has no need of my words for his credibility. I humbly (and proudly) offer them anyway....
Old 9 February 2015, 09:15
Whatever Sucks the Most

Thanks, bro.

I am just glad that you did not tell that fuel point story. Which never happened.
Old 9 February 2015, 09:18
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

^^^^However.

M's taste (I use that word literally) in women IS suspect....
Old 9 February 2015, 10:01
Been There Done That

Uh, no

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
^^^^However.

M's taste (I use that word literally) in women IS suspect....
You have obviously NOT seen the latest iteration of Mrs. M.
Old 9 February 2015, 10:04
Been There Done That

Also, wasn't Kearney the SAO for the Bn Surgeon's wife after the accident at Indian Springs?
Did he not end up marrying the widow?
Old 9 February 2015, 10:16
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACE View Post
Also, wasn't Kearney the SAO for the Bn Surgeon's wife after the accident at Indian Springs?
Did he not end up marrying the widow?
He was not, I don't remember who it was, but (that officer-not Kearney-) did indeed marry Cpt Gardner's widow.
Old 26 February 2015, 22:45
Been There Done That

Question

Seems the CID is involved with Goldsteyn, and has swept up MOH awardee CPT Swenson. WTF is going on in Big Green?

http://freebeacon.com/issues/army-ta...n-book-review/

Army Targets Medal of Honor Recipient Over Amazon Book Review

Search of Will Swenson’s trash, harassment of neighbors, followed mention on Amazon

February 26, 2015 12:21 pm

The United States Army is accused of spying on one of its own war heroes.

The Daily Beast reported that Will Swenson, a Medal of Honor recipient, came under investigation by the Army simply because he was referenced in a paragraph-long comment on Amazon.

The comment appeared in 2011 by Army Maj. Mathew Golsteyn about The Wrong War by former Pentagon official Bing West. In his comment, Golsteyn thanked Swenson. Golsteyn was a decorated Green Beret who was investigated over allegations of violating military protocol in the death of a Taliban bomb-maker in 2010. He was subsequently forced out of the Special Forces and lost his Silver Star award, even though charges were not brought up against him.

The Army’s Criminal Investigative Division sent agents to Seattle to question Swenson because of the assumed connection between Golsteyn and Swenson. The Army has drawn scrutiny for staking Swenson’s house and digging through his trash.

“There’s good reason to suspect that the investigation into Swenson was really about his award, his criticism of the Army, and the hope that agents would find something to shut him up,” one source close to the investigation said.

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R., Calif.) has been critical of the military for its shoddy treatment of combat troops. In 2013, Hunter and Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R., Ill.) wrote a letter to Secretary of the Army John McHugh inquiring about the search of Swenson’s trash and questioning of his girlfriend and neighbors.

“We are particularly interested to know why special agents from the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command visited Swenson’s residence in Seattle, Wash., even going as far as confronting his neighbors,” Hunter said. “What is or was the relevant connection between Maj. Golsteyn and Mr. Swenson?”

In response to The Daily Beast’s report Thursday, Hunter released a statement condemning the actions of the Army.

“The U.S. Army is utilizing its investigations arm as a tool to retaliate against soldiers. I’m convinced,” Hunter said.

“Multiple high-profile cases verify that investigators and leadership, without proper cause or evidence, are utilizing the investigations process to influence outcomes or unfairly punish soldiers. In one case yet to be reported, a very senior Army leader recently insisted an investigation be initiated against a soldier because he was asked to discuss information with Congress—and my office in particular. That’s not right. And in the case of Swenson, Golsteyn and others, there’s solid evidence of abuse.”

Our new posting rules