SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 20 May 2015, 10:37
NKDA

Back in the news. Final disposition scheduled for next week.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ins...ero/ar-BBjYQjl
Old 21 May 2015, 03:55
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
According to the documents, Golsteyn recalled to CIA interviewers that he and one other unidentified U.S. soldier took the suspected bombmaker off the base, shot him to death and buried his remains in a shallow grave. He told the CIA that, later that night, he and two other soldiers dug up the remains, brought them back to their base and burned them in a pit used to dispose of trash, according to the documents. The names of the soldiers have been redacted in the documents released to The Post.
That's gunna leave a mark
Old 21 May 2015, 23:20
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
That's gunna leave a mark
That is an unsubstantiated allegation about an alleged crime. A thorough criminal investigation failed to yield a single offense with which to charge this soldier.

Where did the public information about what he is accused of come from? Documents?

How did those documents come to be in the public arena? Were those leaked to a site previously known for publishing leaks from Edward Snowden. How did that site get those documents?

WAIT, STOP, YOU DON"T UNDERSTAND WHAT HE DID HE'S A MONSTER!!!!

Murder! Assassination! Conspiracy! Body Burning!!! Destruction of evidence!!! THAT'S WHAT WE ARE CHARGING HIM WITH...oh, wait...we aren't charging him with anything.

If there was actually anything to these allegations, why isn't he being charged? Oh, because it can't be proven. Well, hell, we can at least charge him with "conduct unbecoming," right? No? Can't prove that either??? Hmm...
Old 22 May 2015, 08:40
Been There Done That

SS/DSC and Tab Revoked

Matthew Golsteyn (3SFG) was a Team CPT in AFG 2010. He killed a known bomb maker, buried him, then went back dug him up and cremated him. He was subsequently investigated. He received a Silver Star, that was approved to be upgraded to a DCS.

In early 2011, Bing West (former Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs during the Reagan Administration - embedded with Matthew Golsteyn's team in 2010) released a book that contained quotes from Golsteyn that were critical of AFG strategy. In Nov 2011, Golsteyn took a poly with the CIA for a job. Golsteyn was honest and admitted to killing the bomb maker. In Nov 2011, Golsteyn was also promoted to Major. CIA leaked/released info regarding the poly and an investigation ensued. Former team members, etc...were threatened, coerced and promised immunity for information on Golsteyn. No cooberating evidence was received. In fact, everyone spoke highly of him and applauded his bravery. An Army investigation into a violation of the rules of engagement, failed to find sufficient corroborating evidence to charge him. No charges were filed.

Somewhere during this, Congressman Duncan Hunter contacted John McHugh to find out the status of Golsteyn's investigation. Someone got butt sore and the black ball process began. They began administratively stripping him of his Silver Star and SF Tab. We know that had to come from the Group Commander and administrative processes like these have little to no recourse.

BG Darsie Rogers, who has been repeatedly treated for sexually transmitted diseases (allegedly of course LOL) had the audacity to say... "Your behavior in this matter manifests a complete lack of judgment and responsibility. You have discredited yourself, the U.S. Army Special Forces Command, and the United States Army. Your conduct constitutes a serious departure from the high standards of integrity and professionalism expected of a Commissioned officer of this command."

What's clear to me is that Matthew Golsteyn tracked down a known Afghan bomb maker and killed him. This Afghan bomb maker previously killed two Marines. That's all I need to know!! I have personally experienced HVT's that we caught, being released and having to fight them again. So our PUCing stopped. They cited 2001 AUMF as the ROE. SF had different ROE. I was personally briefed on "perceived threats". They did not have to be armed, only a perceived threat. (IE: We did not have to wait until the bomb detonated to shoot the driver of a suspicious vehicle). And when sugar turned to shit, the command ruled with the Fog of War. Maybe some of us were just lucky. Again, Matthew Golsteyn killed a direct, imminent threat to our troops. I'm sure his actions kept other military service member's from dying and that's all I need to know. Because, he was later critical of the strategy in Afghanistan and his quotes were published, is what I believe set things in motion.

Remember CPT William Swenson...the one who was critical of Afghan strategy...who's Medal of Honor paperwork was lost...who "finally" received the Medal of Honor 15 Oct 2013. In Feb 2015, it was revealed that CID Command investigated Swenson prior to the award due to comments on a book review (The Wrong War by Bing West - who was embedded on Golsteyn's SF Team) on Amazon.com regarding CPT Matthew Golsteyn. Golsteyn mentioned Swenson regarding the book and thanked him. CID dug for any dirt they could find. Both had been deployed to Afghanistan and were critical of the Afghanistan strategy. Goldsteyn was invited and attended Swenson's award ceremony. Swenson was later allowed to reenter Active Duty, only because his words had been proven true and he was "awarded the MoH".

Coincidence my ass. Matt Golsteyn killed a bad guy and I don't give a shit about the 5 W's. They are out to crush this SF Major for being critical and they will do it any way they can. This is my take on it anyway. Our military is now full of perfume princes who are only out to protect their own retirement/career.

(General James Mattis (aka: Mad Dog Mattis) is another prime example of what this current administration will do if one speaks against it).

Golsteyn's lawyer Phillip Stackhouse told Army Times the hearing (to decide on kicking him out) will begin on June 23 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina; it had been set for May 18.

Last edited by 18b/e; 22 May 2015 at 08:54.
Old 22 May 2015, 10:00
Been There Done That

SS/DSC and Tab Revoked

Just read this, According to the Washington Post and MSN...

The newly obtained documents include a three-page report filed in October 2011 by Special Agent Zachary Jackson, an Army investigator, that allege Golsteyn recounted to the CIA that, after the Marines were killed in the Feb. 18 blast, he and his units began clearing homes nearby. They eventually found materials required to make complicated improvised explosive devices similar to the one that had killed the Marines. They brought the suspected bombmaker back to their base, Golsteyn said, according to Army documents.

On base, a tribal leader working with the Americans identified the suspected bombmaker as a member of the Taliban — and then the two crossed paths before Golsteyn could prevent it, the soldier said, according to the documents. The tribal leader “immediately became frightened and stated [the suspected Taliban member] was going to kill him and his family,” the Army documents said.

Golsteyn, then a member of 3rd Special Force Group, told the CIA during a polygraph test that he trusted the tribal leader working with his unit, and that information he had provided previously saved lives and prevented attacks, according to Army documents. The suspected bombmaker was not on a list of targets U.S. forces had been cleared to kill without following the rules of engagement, but Golsteyn told the CIA he was concerned that if he let the man go, he would have the opportunity to kill American troops, the documents said.

“CPT Golsteyn related there had been countless times when he detained someone and sent that person to a detention facility only to see that same person shooting at his unit weeks later,” the Army investigator’s summary of Golsteyn’s polygraph test said. “CPT Golsteyn stated he had no qualms about what he did because he couldn’t have lived with himself if [the suspected bomb maker] killed another Soldier or Marine.”

Matt Golsteyn is a well deserving SF Major who is being screwed by the system. The current C-O-C should be phucking ashamed of themselves.

Last edited by 18b/e; 22 May 2015 at 10:06. Reason: bottom sentence
Old 22 May 2015, 17:53
Whatever Sucks the Most

I cannot imagine how many bullshit "investigations" failed to coerce a single SF soldier to flip and testify against his team mates.
Old 23 May 2015, 08:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
I cannot imagine how many bullshit "investigations" failed to coerce a single SF soldier to flip and testify against his team mates.
Excellent point Magician.
Old 23 May 2015, 08:52
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

IIRC, the alleged case of this officer divulging information during a hiring process with the agency, isn't the first time a candidate has admitted to some things that then became used against him.

I have no idea if this officer did anything he is being accused of, but it seems as if there are there some here whom are suggesting the agency would invent all of this, based on a fabricated story that he supposedly told them something during an interview? Seems like a bit of a stretch.

I agree that one needs evidence to convict someone, especially for murder -- but how much evidence do you need to convict someone of being a dumbass and recounting something he shouldn't have?
Old 23 May 2015, 09:12
Confirmed User

Something registered on a poly, perhaps? And when asked to explain the circumstances...things unraveled.
Old 23 May 2015, 10:00
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Per my use of the word "convict" as it pertains to being a dumbass, I'm referring to those in this thread (and people like them), not actual proceedings where a court of law is involved.

And in the apparent fantastic offchance that things of the nature he purportedly described did happen, I wonder how his fellow SF Soldiers/teammates of that event feel about his mentioning the event just to get a job. And if it never happened and he was just trying to impress the poligraph operator? Yeah, how well would that have went over back in the team room?
Old 23 May 2015, 12:31
Been There Done That

Reads like some straight up jackassery, I hope to continue to read about the sacks of shit behind the curtain on this from those that know who they are, keep writing, what comes around goes around..
Old 23 May 2015, 13:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I have no idea if this officer did anything he is being accused of, but it seems as if there are there some here whom are suggesting the agency would invent all of this, based on a fabricated story that he supposedly told them something during an interview? Seems like a bit of a stretch...
"A polygraph is an examination... not a confession." as a friend of mine once proclaimed.

And I agree with your comments, SOTB.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 23 May 2015, 13:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
...poligraph operator?
Polygrapher. Even though everyone's #OAF these days...these folks are decidedly not Operators.

Old 23 May 2015, 14:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
"A polygraph is an examination... not a confession." as a friend of mine once proclaimed.

And I agree with your comments, SOTB.
Yeah, but they also tell you that if you admit to an illegal act, you can be investigated.
Old 23 May 2015, 14:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Yeah, but they also tell you that if you admit to an illegal act, you can be investigated.
That's my point.

Old 23 May 2015, 16:47
Swimming Upstream

If you take a CI poly in the
Army and admit to a crime, it is either referred to CID or CI for action depending upon the situation, crime, etc. I figure taking a poly is unwise if you have something to hide. If any of what has been alleged is true taking that poly and subsequently providing admission was unwise. There is a reason polygraphers have badge and credentials. Not sure about how the CIA works but I would expect they would've passed those admissions onto Army CID.
Old 24 May 2015, 16:34
Sub Rosa

We've discussed this previously, but back in the 1990's a former New York State BCI Investigator who was interviewing for a job with the CIA, admitted while taking a POLY that he had fixed evidence on a number of cases he had previously worked. This included an arson-murder of an entire family in Dryden, NY, where this dude transferred "suspect A's" latent prints onto the gas can found at the scene. The CIA alerted the NY AG and as a result a major investigation ensued which ended up ruining the careers of a number of LEOs. Speculation was that the asshat told the CIA about this evidence tampering because he thought they would respect the fact that he would do whatever needed to be done. I'm not saying this applies in this case.
Old 24 May 2015, 19:03
Been There Done That

IIRC, before the polygraph starts you are told that anything you mention, during the process, that is potentially against the law will be handed over to the FBI to investigate.
You are video taped during the process.
My full life poly was 13 questions and it took me one and half days to complete.
After it was over and I was told I could return to my hotel, I was convinced that the FBI was going to be there waiting. I was scared.

I passed.
Old 25 May 2015, 08:14
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACE View Post
IIRC, before the polygraph starts you are told that anything you mention, during the process, that is potentially against the law will be handed over to the FBI to investigate.
My full life poly was 13 questions and it took me one and half days to complete.
After it was over and I was told I could return to my hotel, I was convinced that the FBI was going to be there waiting. I was scared.

I passed.
Thankfully, I've only had to take CI polys...which took me about an hour. I'd hate to do the other...I've known a few folks it has messed over. To say nothing of the concerns that some polygraphers are "rewarded" for admissions as opposed to quality of the test. I've used poly's and they are a tool, but I also think they are only as good as the examiner and examiners have their own biases and agendas. I knew a guy who suspected extramarital affairs or similar activities in everyone he tested...of course, he was a whoredog himself, so it was a case of validating his own guilty actions.
Old 25 May 2015, 14:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACE View Post
My full life poly was 13 questions and it took me one and half days to complete......
Can you elaborate how 13 questions took 1.5days to complete? Did they just keep asking the same questions over and over again?

Our new posting rules