SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 30 May 2015, 08:19
BTDT

I think he probably did everything he is accused of, and like many of you, I think he was completely justified in doing it.

That being said, it was very illegal (although it shouldn't have been), and he was an idiot and a buddy fucker (to the rest of the team) for bringing it up in the interview. If you have skeletons in the closet, especially if they involve others, then certain jobs are probably not the ones you should apply to.

We all probably know guys who have decided to go apply to one Army SMU rather than the other due in large part to the full scope poly you have to take at one, vs. no poly at the other. (Or maybe we just have a lot of guilty consciences at 7th :)
Old 29 June 2015, 18:19
Did...did I do that?

AP story:

BOI recommends honorable discharge, but apparently not restoring the tab or the Silver Star. Can the board recommend the honor be restored?

Lawyer says the Board did not specify which conduct they found unbecoming.

Quote:
An Army officer who was accused of tracking down and killing an unarmed bomb-making suspect in Afghanistan is being recommended for an honorable discharge even though a military panel that looked into the case determined his conduct was unbecoming an officer.

The military panel at Fort Bragg reached the finding late Sunday concerning Maj. Mathew Golsteyn. Army Special Forces Command spokeswoman Maj. Allison Aguilar said Monday that if the decision is upheld by a review board Golsteyn would be discharged under honorable conditions allowing him to keep nearly all veteran's benefits.

Golsteyn's Colorado-based defense lawyer, Phillip Stackhouse, said the panel didn't describe which conduct it found unbecoming an officer.

"Therefore, I can't tell you what they found," Stackhouse said in an email.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a112f...my-va-benefits
Old 30 June 2015, 04:21
I am into Champagne

'Revoking' an decoration for combat valor due to completely unrelated conduct is truly amazing idiocy.

If that is the standard, I am certain there are many Officers at Pentagon who can have their 'rank' and pay, and retirement 'revoked' for failure in their duties after earlier competence.

And an 'unarmed' bomb-maker for a terrorist organization that is known to occasionally dabble with the 'suicide' bomb. That is truly a rare and mythical creature I think.

Was he wearing a sign that promised he was unarmed and not a threat?

Maybe Bowe Berghdahl is returned to Taliban (for 'illegal' killing of known but 'unarmed' bomb-making expert), the Special Forces Officer is allowed to continue to serve with no blemish on his record, and it is called 'even'.

Regards,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.
Old 30 June 2015, 04:36
Unemployed Stunt Double

The BOI recommended a General Discharge, not an Honorable. Golsteyn loses most military benefits, as well as his reputation and employability.
Old 30 June 2015, 05:04
Whatever Sucks the Most

What a nightmare he is living.
Old 30 June 2015, 07:51
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
The BOI recommended a General Discharge, not an Honorable. Golsteyn loses most military benefits, as well as his reputation and employability.
As I always say, we serve an ungrateful nation.

I had a Bn Cdr who thought he wanted to work for an OGA and after the full scope poly, he said that he felt so violated, he couldn't bring himself to work for them. And this is truly an honorable man.
Old 30 June 2015, 12:30

Honestly asking...

I know I'm a guest here, and as respectfully as possible -

If he did what he is alleged to have done, and it was in fact against the ROE/UCMJ... As long as he was aware of the rules, aware that his conduct did not fall within them and knowingly chose to engage in it anyways - why shouldn't he be punished?
Old 30 June 2015, 12:30
Been There Done That

So this guy gets a General Discharge, no benny's, his Silver Star and/or DSC is revoked and is pretty much unemployable? What a clusterfuck. "On behalf of a grateful nation............."
Old 30 June 2015, 12:52
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by portn010 View Post

If he did what he is alleged to have done, and it was in fact against the ROE/UCMJ... As long as he was aware of the rules, aware that his conduct did not fall within them and knowingly chose to engage in it anyways - why shouldn't he be punished?
Respectfully as possible...do you know how to fucking read? Read the thread, and see if you can answer your own question.
Old 30 June 2015, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Respectfully as possible...do you know how to fucking read? Read the thread, and see if you can answer your own question.
From the thread, I gathered that mostly, the objection was that the allegations couldn't be proven and that the perception is he's getting railroaded for talking out of school to Congress. I understand that objection, and agree that if allegations can't be proven, no punishment should be imposed.

Some of the posts, however, seemed to imply that even if the facts were completely proven, people would still have a problem with punishment being imposed. That was why I underlined the "if" in my original question. Frustration with the rules and the political theater of it all aside,in the hypothetical scenario where an Officer simply decides not to follow rules and regulations he is well aware of - he ought to expect to be punished for that.

Sorry if I was unclear or offended you. I'll go back to reading now.
Old 30 June 2015, 14:40
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Go back to reading. This has nothing to do with Congress, other than the military blowing off a Congressman.

You didn't offend me. I don't offend easily. Your post shows you really don't understand the issues at play. Read more, post less.
Old 30 June 2015, 16:53
Rest In Peace

Gavin and guys,

If he receives a General under Honorable Conditions he will be eligible for VA benefits.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/..._discharge.asp

It's still a screwing. In the opinion of an insider I know it is a self-inflicted screwing. I don't personally know Golsteyn.

It sounds to me like he killed a guy that needed killing, something our Army seems to have lost interest in since we roasted the Japanese in their bunkers on Iwo Jima.

He only screwed up when he ran his mouth about it.
Old 30 June 2015, 21:28
The Sagacious One

Quote:
From the thread, I gathered that mostly, the objection was that the allegations couldn't be proven and that the perception is he's getting railroaded for talking out of school to Congress. I understand that objection, and agree that if allegations can't be proven, no punishment should be imposed.

Some of the posts, however, seemed to imply that even if the facts were completely proven, people would still have a problem with punishment being imposed. That was why I underlined the "if" in my original question. Frustration with the rules and the political theater of it all aside,in the hypothetical scenario where an Officer simply decides not to follow rules and regulations he is well aware of - he ought to expect to be punished for that.

Sorry if I was unclear or offended you. I'll go back to reading now.
Granted, the greater disservice to himself was the agreeing to the poly, but that is all moot now.

In your world you get hours, days and weeks to study and interpret laws that not only have pages of explanation, but also a plethora legal interpretation and precedence.

These young Captains and NCO's get very vague yet confusing commanders intent that equates to "Go over there and unfuck that region......" followed by a bajillion ridiculous rules on what you cannot do during the "Unfucking".

There is a huge difference between your mission, commanders intent and what your moral fiber says you should do. Sadly these decisions are often times in a split second, without the aid of volumes of precedence and interpretation.

Welcome to SOCNET.
Old 30 June 2015, 22:52
I am into Champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Sadly these decisions are often times in a split second
Who are then judged by persons who have never need brain or nerve wiring to work faster than a mummified snail, and have never reeked so heavily of sweat and expended adrenaline as they walked away from 'another day at the work' than the unknowing fear an exposed battery acid situation due to what they smell.

Respectfully,
Old 30 June 2015, 22:57
I am into Champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hognose View Post
something our Army seems to have lost interest in since we roasted the Japanese in their bunkers on Iwo Jima.
And this over a terrorist bomb-maker. Far from any Soldier defending from the bunker, in uniform, and associated protections due to professional code or honor.

Maybe the 'judges' need to serve 6 months with road convoys. Their attitude towards bomb-makers may benefit from a reality adjustment after that.

Regards,
Old 1 July 2015, 02:19
What could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post

Maybe the 'judges' need to serve 6 months with road convoys. Their attitude towards bomb-makers may benefit from a reality adjustment after that.

Regards,
Easy to make judgements from afar while sipping your lattes and sitting on dais. Much harder when your dodging IEDs and rounds snapping past your head.

Yeah, put them on 6 months of RCP duty and then let them judge. Apply the old adage of walk a mile in my shoes and then tell me your opinion again.
Old 1 July 2015, 22:22
Confirmed User

Quote:

Your profile says you're an attorney in a county prosecutors office. So, take off your prosecutor hat, and put on your defense attorney hat.

Could you defend him? Would you defend him?

I'm still a little unclear on how they can take away the awards he earned. The way I read it he earned the Silver Star in an unrelated action.
Old 1 July 2015, 23:41
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

How anyone would give him a personal pass after he BrovoFoxtrotted his teammates is amazing (to ME)....
Old 2 July 2015, 08:29
Been There Done That

If you have "gray area" shit in your background, you don't try and get jobs that require poly's.
Old 2 July 2015, 10:21
Been There Done That

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
If you have "gray area" shit in your background, you don't try and get jobs that require poly's.
Depends on the job, or assignment. Have taken two for various gov-things. Me thinks that Goldsteyn's admission was most likely done innocently, maybe to impress the agency he was applying to, IDK. The most disconcerting thing to me is taking away a DESERVED decoration for combat actions because of something totally unrelated.

Our new posting rules