Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 28 January 2018, 23:09
Über Equus Asinus

Build your own...

I know there are several AR builders in the house..

Does anyone else have any experience building rifles/pistols from the ground up other than AR's?

I've built a couple of single shot rifles over the years, but honestly there wasnt much involved other than some minor fitting and machining.. I turned a couple of H&R single shot 12 gauge shotguns into little 16" barreled .44 mag carbines back in the day.. and then turned another 12 gauge H&R frame into a single shot .45-70.. All three of these projects really only required me to tinker with the actions a little so that the rifle barrels fit flush, tap the receivers for scope mounts, etc..

More recently I stepped into bolt action builds though.. I took a 1937 VZ24 (large ring mauser) action that came off a completely ruined old Czech mauser (cracked stock, pitted bore, missing fore-end, broken trigger, etc), rebarreled it in .35 whelen, installed a timney low profile safety, reforged the bolt handle so that it would clear a scope, drilled and tapped for scope mounts, installed a timney trigger, and then fitted a boyds laminate stock to it (minor woodwork only.. it was about 90% fitted from the factory).... I took it to the range yesterday, about half worried it was going to blow up in my face.. but it performed really well.. flawless operation, and held about a 1" group @ 100 with hornady factory ammo..

The wife is pleased (the rifle was built to add a "mid-bore" to her arsenal.. I stocked it in a nice bright pink and black laminate for her.. )..

So... now I'm hooked..

And am getting ready to build another rifle on a 1935 small ring spanish mauser action (I will most likely build this one as a 7x57/7mm mauser)..

I'm also in search of another large ring action.. I'd love to come across another old VZ24 thats seen better days or a pre-war german K98 that has a shot out barrel, rotten stock, etc.. that I could salvage an action off of.. If I can source another strong action at a decent price I'm thinking I'll build that one into a .458 Win Mag..

Any other non professional gunsmith, rifle tinkerers among the membership here?
Old 29 January 2018, 00:24
BTDT

I tinker around a little bit. Mostly making parts to get guns shooting, but also some woodwork. I'm getting set up for rust bluing.

If you're using Mauser actions it's good to know the alpha-numeric codes on the front ring. BYF, S42, and a couple others indicate Mauserwerk Oberndorf which is top of the line. It pretty well accepted that quality never dropped at Oberndorf during the war so any action from there is GTG. There are a lot of rifles out there built on Argentine actions. Supposedly the Argentines are a bit soft and will suffer setback with lots of use or if chambered in the larger calibers.

Doublegunshop.com and nitroexpress.com both have forums on gunsmithing that lean more toward custom guns.

Currently I'm restoring the stock on a 8 gauge muzzleloader. I could see it was cracked when I bought it but it was actually in three pieces when I took it apart. Thank God for Acraglas.

My next project is restocking an A.H. Fox shotgun and fitting a second set of barrels.

It's a sickness. I'd rather buy a broken gun that I can bring back to life than a functional one.

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 29 January 2018, 00:29
Been There Done That

The only non-AR rifles I mess with are lever actions. Never built one from the ground up, but I have replaced a lot of old/worn parts on some classic older Marlins and Winchesters, to include minor fitting and filing.
Old 29 January 2018, 09:54
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickT View Post
I'd rather buy a broken gun that I can bring back to life than a functional one.
I think this is probably what I am enjoying most about tinkering around with these old mausers I have been playing with..

they were absolutely "dead".. never to be shot again.. Honestly both were in too poor of shape even to be considered wall-hangers (missing parts, pitted rust inside and out, broken external parts, etc..)..

Now one of them is shooting again, and the other is on the way to becoming a shooter..

Granted, I could buy a new Winchester 70 or Rem 700 for what I ended up having to invest in the VZ24.. and not have to put the labor into the project.. I could just walk out of cabela's and head straight to the range..

But I got some pretty serious satisfaction out of seeing a 1" group form a couple of days ago as a fruit of my labor..

I'm not sure I'll ever buy another "off the shelf" rifle again at this rate

Restoring an old lever gun is pretty high on my list right now as well.. I'd love to find an old Winchester 1892 that has seen better days and bring some life back into it..

Prior to working on the VZ24, my last project was trying (and not fully succeeding) to bring a Winchester 1890 pump gun back to life..

Its about 90% there.. but the stock still needs a good bit of work.. and the action isnt 100% reliable.. the bolt isnt locking up properly and Im getting about 50% failures to fire.. I havent quite figured out whats going on there.. but now that I've got the first mauser put to bed I might try to spend a little more time playing with it to see what I can do to "fix" it..
Old 29 January 2018, 09:56
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
The only non-AR rifles I mess with are lever actions. Never built one from the ground up, but I have replaced a lot of old/worn parts on some classic older Marlins and Winchesters, to include minor fitting and filing.
I like marlin lever guns...

and LOVE winchester lever guns..

I've never really dug into one.. but if I could find one cheap that was in horrible shape and needed some TLC, I'd probably jump on it and see what I could do..
Old 29 January 2018, 10:08
Been There Done That

Lever guns are a PITA, which is why I like tinkering with them. The action, while cutting edge for the late-1800s, is complicated and prone to issues.
Old 29 January 2018, 17:02
Corpsman Up!

I've built a couple M14's from the ground up, one is an LRB Arms receiver, the other a Fulton Armory. I rebuilt an old Savage Model 99F .250-3000 that was the wife's first deer rifle. It was in pretty bad shape, and took forever to find parts. But, I got it back running, and now it is literally a nail driver. The last one I had the pleasure of working on was an older Winchester .351 Carbine. I live to tinker around with these things.
Old 29 January 2018, 19:56
Über Equus Asinus

Another "short list" rifle build for me is an "inch" FAL...

Not sure what my fascination is with that rifle, but I've told myself for 20+ years that I was going to buy one of the old Imbel receivers and a parts kit and put one together..

Back in the 90's you could get brand new receivers for $99 all day long.. today they seem to be $600-$800 most places.. plus another $500-$700 for a parts kit..

Hating that I didnt scoop up a couple of them back in the day..
Old 29 January 2018, 20:07

I have done a few AKs from parts kits and receivers but the most fun was a semi-auto Sten that I built with an OLD parts kit and basically a piece of piece of pipe and a new bolt. There was welding and drilling and a bunch of fitting but it is pretty neat.

I am thinking about an 80% pistol next.
Old 31 January 2018, 20:31
Confirmed User

I'm in the process of building the Frank De Hass chickopee centerfire single shot in 357mag. It has been a learning experience. I started with cold role steel plates and I have cut every piece out and fitted them. I think I have made every part twice. I have never worked steel like this before. I purchased a used drill/mill/lathe combo machine and have had to teach myself machining.

I started working on the project last winter and I'm still tinkering on it. It's pretty much complete except for welding the breech block to the action, case hardening a few parts, and the finish of the steel.
Old 1 February 2018, 09:11
The Sagacious One

Forest Boy should be along soon, he is the gun smith in the group. Me, I prefer to shoot them.
Old 1 February 2018, 10:13
BTDT

I am refurbishing an old Marlin 1894 chambered for .44 Magnum. The gun spent about 20 years in a tin shed and was shootable but ugly when I got it. Now I have stripped it down and started rebuilding it by refinishing the metal and wood.
I'm sure that the garage level work I am doing will degrade whatever collector value it may have, but I have no intentions to sell it. If my boy wants to sell it after I am in the ground then collector value will be his problem....

AR-15 platforms have flooded the market and now I am mostly bored with them.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 16 February 2018, 12:04
Über Equus Asinus

Ordered all the parts for the small ring mauser build mentioned above this week.. they should all start coming in over the weekend..

Went with a dayton low profile safety, timney sportsmans trigger, and an adams & bennet barrel (7x57), and a boyds "classic" laminate stock.. I also picked up some warne maxima rings and bases (not that they will require any work.. they will just screw right in once I get the action drilled and tapped this weekend.. )..

I've already had the bolt handle reforged and the bolt and all if its components polished both internally and externally..

I'll drill and tap the action this weekend, and assuming the barrel gets here this afternoon like its supposed to will go on and screw it on tight with my action wrench and vise... assuming everything mates up correctly I'll order the finishing reamer and go/no-go guages this weekend, and then sometime next week do the final cut on the chamber..

While waiting on the reamer and gauges, I'll inlet the stock and fit it to the action..

Once all of the above is done, Ill install the new trigger and safety.. then take it to the range and make sure it all works properly before trying to put a finish on it...

I'll likely just go with an alumihyde or duracoat finish.. something I can spray from a can and do myself without a whole lot of effort.. the intent is for this to be a "working" gun, not a show piece.. so Im not worried about anything fancy.. I just dont want it to rust...

If everything works out as planned I'll have a new "deer rifle" in the safe in a couple of weeks that I can play with all spring and summer before taking it to the woods this fall in search of venison..

Im seriously enjoying this new "hobby".. if any of you guys know where I can find a beater large ring mauser action on the cheap, I'm looking to build a .458 win mag next.. no idea why I want a .458 other than I just think it would be fun to build one..

Our new posting rules