SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 27 January 2018, 17:38
Anesthetized User

Bought used dies, and I did not clean them. Lots of crud. I would not think that would be enough to screw it up this bad, but all is well, so I have to assume that was it.

Chambers just fine, within spec, metal dental pick checked.

Yep, user error.

Thanks all.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 27 January 2018, 23:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Bought used dies, and I did not clean them. Lots of crud. I would not think that would be enough to screw it up this bad, but all is well, so I have to assume that was it.

Chambers just fine, within spec, metal dental pick checked.

Yep, user error.

Thanks all.
Glad you solved the problem.

Before I got to this page and see that you figured it out I was going to ask if you were applying lube to the inside of the neck as well. That could cause the expander to stick and destroy your brass.
Old 27 January 2018, 23:06
Confirmed User

...double tap..
Old 3 February 2018, 19:45
Anesthetized User

So, I finally started playing with my annealer. This pic is the first piece I did.

Tempilaq 750 on the neck.

Tempilaq 450 just below the neck.

The 750 melted and the 450 stayed gray.

But the actual rainbow from the annealing process was not as obvious as I have seen on factory ammo.

How does the pic look to you guys?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0610-2.jpg (93.3 KB, 111 views)

Support SOCNET.

Old 13 September 2018, 16:06
Anesthetized User

375 WIN

Since I will be crimping these rounds is it better to use a two piece die set or a 3 piece with crimping die?

Gas checks, what the hell are those?

Thanks.

Support SOCNET.

Old 13 September 2018, 16:48
exquisitus asinus

Quote:
Since I will be crimping these rounds is it better to use a two piece die set or a 3 piece with crimping die?

Gas checks, what the hell are those?

Thanks.
Are you certain you need/want a crimp? Seems that just complicates the reloading process for a 375 Win and adds an unnecessary step...

Recoil on the 375W shooting a 220gr projectile 2200 fps is roughly the equivalent of a .308 shooting 180gr projectiles @ 2600fps (not that much recoil all things considered).. I dont see a properly seated bullet requiring a crimp... youre not going to get potential bullet movement under recoil like you can see in a big bore magnum like a 458 Win Mag or a 375 H&H...

Unless youre planning on shooting cast bullets.. gas checks shouldnt be anything to be concerned about with the 375W..

Gas checks are needed when you are shooting non jacketed projectiles at high pressure.. basically they inhibit lead build up and supposedly improve accuracy as well...

If youre shooting factory copper jacketed bullets.. you have no need for a gas check...
Old 13 September 2018, 17:11
Anesthetized User

Thanks a bunch, that makes sense.

I ASSumed I needed to crimp.

I have been looking at the 200gr Sierra to start with. Per the web performs well on Deer, Elk, Black Bear, Hogs and Moose. Load it at about 2200-2300FPS, plenty of energy for anything in the lower 48 200yds and under.

I just picked up some RL 7 as well.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/...-dia-200-gr-FN

Support SOCNET.

Old 13 September 2018, 17:20
exquisitus asinus

200 grains at 2200 is good medicine for anything on 4 feet in north america shy of a pissed off brown bear...

Im predicting a lot of fun in the woods over the next 6 months or so for you..
Old 13 September 2018, 17:26
exquisitus asinus

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...free-box-of-50

Consider these as well...

The meet all of the crazy California lead free requirements.. and as long as they are traveling north of 2000FPS, the TSX is one of the most devastating projectiles I have ever seen...

Theyre a bit spendy compared to Sierra.. but.. if youre using them for hunting only (use something cheaper for range time.. then re-zero using Barnes and go hunt...).. theyre not all that bad (1 box of 50 should get you through multiple hunting seasons)..

Assuming you do your part and hit your prey where you are supposed to.. you'll be pretty amazed what the TSX will do.. (you wont be doing a lot of tracking for following blood trails for very long)...
Old 13 September 2018, 17:39
Anesthetized User

Single load these then one in the tube mag?

I forgot, this is the last season for lead ammo.

Methinks I am screwed, I did not consider the lead ban.

I use Barnes TSXBT in my 257WBY, love Barnes products.

Support SOCNET.

Old 13 September 2018, 17:46
exquisitus asinus

I forgot you are dealing with a tube mag... the barnes are probably a little more pointy than they should be for that..

In fact I cant think of any mono metal in 375 that would work well in a tube mag...

Im assuming Hornady doesnt make their leverevolution round in 375 Win either (not sure about that though)...

I'll ask around.. but honestly, Im at a loss right now as to whats the best CA option (other than moving :) )....
Old 13 September 2018, 18:02
exquisitus asinus

Youll pay a bloody fortune for CEB raptors.. but they are wicked projectiles too.. and should work in a tube mag ok..

They are mono metals with a very wide and deep cavity hollow point..

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/375-230gr-esp-raptor
Old 13 September 2018, 20:41
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Single load these then one in the tube mag?

I forgot, this is the last season for lead ammo.

Methinks I am screwed, I did not consider the lead ban.

I use Barnes TSXBT in my 257WBY, love Barnes products.

Another is the Nosler Solid. Meant for deep penetration for dangerous game, but would probably do ok for deer and such... won't expand, but you might not need it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010837392/nosler-solid-bullets-375-caliber-375-diameter-260-grain-flat-nose-lead-free-box-of-25

While expensive, solids and cutting edge bullets are only needed for hunting- don't need to buy all that many.

Seven six eleven five nine-an-twenty mile today
Four eleven seventeen thirty-two the day before

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 13 September 2018, 21:49
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
Another is the Nosler Solid. Meant for deep penetration for dangerous game, but would probably do ok for deer and such... won't expand, but you might not need it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010837392/nosler-solid-bullets-375-caliber-375-diameter-260-grain-flat-nose-lead-free-box-of-25

While expensive, solids and cutting edge bullets are only needed for hunting- don't need to buy all that many.
That works, appreciated. Maybe this will be my cool camp gun that sits against a tree waiting for two legged and 4 legged crazy to walk into our camp.

Support SOCNET.

Old 14 September 2018, 04:32
Make a desert and call it peace.

I'd just adjust the seating die to take the flare out of the case, maybe just a slight crimp. We're not talking enough recoil to really require crimping the bejesus out of it. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I知 about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn稚 do if you still had your weapons." L. Neil Smith
Old 15 September 2018, 19:29
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...free-box-of-25

I found boxes of them knocked down from 70-80 bucks per 25 to $40. Overrun of the product. I picked up 3 boxes. These will be hunting only.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosle...-run-25ct.html

Mdwest, these are calling your name for your 375H&H.

Support SOCNET.

Old 16 September 2018, 01:31
exquisitus asinus

If they were 300gr I’d be all over those like stink on a monkeys butt...

Not for my 375h&h... but for my wife’s...

I’m planning on chasing Cape buffalo in June.. I’ll be taking my 416... the first round will be a Barnes 400gr TSX... all other rounds in the mag will be Barnes 400 gr solids...

The wife’s buff rig is a 375 H&H.. her first round is a 300gr TSX... Barnes doesn’t make a 300 gr solid though in 375 anymore... so I’ve been looking at other options...
Old 16 September 2018, 02:16
Navigating

Thumbs up 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
If they were 300gr I壇 be all over those like stink on a monkeys butt...

Not for my 375h&h... but for my wife痴...

I知 planning on chasing Cape buffalo in June.. I値l be taking my 416... the first round will be a Barnes 400gr TSX... all other rounds in the mag will be Barnes 400 gr solids...

The wife痴 buff rig is a 375 H&H.. her first round is a 300gr TSX... Barnes doesn稚 make a 300 gr solid though in 375 anymore... so I致e been looking at other options...
I got the opportunity to mess with a 416 just a couple weeks ago. The gentleman was calibrating it at the Erie County Conservatation League during the Andrew Dunn memorial Police 3-gun challenge, Kevin Sexton was his name. He apparently shoots to 2000 meters. Didn稚 see him do it, but he had all kinds of trophies, patches and certificates to show off as well. Very interesting caliber to say the least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 10973211-0A7C-46D2-AEDC-DAD33D4E5010.jpeg (23.1 KB, 49 views)

- Excerpt from Gates of Fire, Michael Yon
Old 16 September 2018, 08:24
exquisitus asinus

My guess is he was shooting a 416 Barret...

The 416B flings a 396gr match grade projectile just under 3200fps.. it was originally designed for Navy Special Warfare as a lighter option to the 50 BMG for long distance engagements where a heavy rifle is needed...

My gun is a 416 Taylor... it throws a 400gr projectile about 2150 FPS.. it was designed to be used in a standard long action hunting rifle and is for dangerous game of the 4 legged variety where engagements are typically 60 yards or less...

I’d love the get my hands on a 416 barret one day to give it a test drive... it’s supposed to be a pretty incredible caliber...

What I’ve got is it’s much weaker older brother (although the older brother can still drop a pachyderm in its tracks inside 100 yards, no problem)...
Old 16 September 2018, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
My guess is he was shooting a 416 Barret...

The 416B flings a 396gr match grade projectile just under 3200fps.. it was originally designed for Navy Special Warfare as a lighter option to the 50 BMG for long distance engagements where a heavy rifle is needed...

My gun is a 416 Taylor... it throws a 400gr projectile about 2150 FPS.. it was designed to be used in a standard long action hunting rifle and is for dangerous game of the 4 legged variety where engagements are typically 60 yards or less...

I壇 love the get my hands on a 416 barret one day to give it a test drive... it痴 supposed to be a pretty incredible caliber...

What I致e got is it痴 much weaker older brother (although the older brother can still drop a pachyderm in its tracks inside 100 yards, no problem)...
I have used the Barnes solids in .400 grain combined with the .400 grain A-Squares for a deadly recipe on dangerous game. I originally went with the .300 grain TPSX in my Taylor as I was able to load it to the exact same ballistics as my 30-06 with 180 grain bullets. Simply love this cartridge regardless of the recipe.

Our new posting rules