SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 13 February 2015, 21:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_ View Post
I love the MSR dromedaries; have a 6 year old 10L.

Functions as a shower too- if we get to camp early enough, I fill it from whatever water source and leave it in the sun for a couple hours. The bag's black color cooks up the water in short order.

The only downside was took 2 years and maybe 25 uses to get the plastic flavor out of it. I soaked it, tried baking soda, gentle scrub brush, nothing worked.
Next time add a tablespoon of bleach to a full bag of water. Let it soak a couple days then empty, drain completely, and dry...
Old 13 February 2015, 23:06
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
I think if you were to use a piece of 3" PVC as a mold, you could make your own 'log'.

The paraffin is too viscous to soak into something as compacted as wood pellets...It cools too rapidly back to its naturally solid state.
Time will tell. if so, the pellets will burn longer. I was thinking PVC or just cut them out of a cake pan with a cookie cutter.
Old 13 February 2015, 23:13
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_ View Post
I love the MSR dromedaries; have a 6 year old 10L.

Functions as a shower too- if we get to camp early enough, I fill it from whatever water source and leave it in the sun for a couple hours. The bag's black color cooks up the water in short order.

The only downside was took 2 years and maybe 25 uses to get the plastic flavor out of it. I soaked it, tried baking soda, gentle scrub brush, nothing worked.
Vinegar rinse. May taste like italian salad dressing but it should come out.
Old 14 February 2015, 03:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Time will tell. if so, the pellets will burn longer. I was thinking PVC or just cut them out of a cake pan with a cookie cutter.
Hybrid thought- go to a local carpet store and get one of those cardboard tubes that carpet is shipped on. Cut it into usable lengths(12-18") with a demolition saw, then stand it on end and fill them with the paraffin /wood pellet mix; after it cools, cut the 'log' into the thicknesses you want, no cookie cutters, no clean up, no waste, because the outside burns too...
Old 14 February 2015, 18:57
FIDO

Heard good things about these little stoves. Thinking of getting one. Small, light and good for a pack. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001C1...AC_SX200_QL40#
Old 14 February 2015, 19:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
Heard good things about these little stoves. Thinking of getting one. Small, light and good for a pack. Thoughts?

They're great! Used to have one until I got a Whisperlight Stove. I'd recommend one of these -

http://www.rei.com/product/722001/msr-xgk-ex-stove
Old 14 February 2015, 19:41
The Sagacious One

Quote:

Quote:
They're great! Used to have one until I got a Whisperlight Stove. I'd recommend one of these -

http://www.rei.com/product/722001/msr-xgk-ex-stove
Everyone does not have high paying contractor gig. I bought a Kelly's Kettle hobo stove, but its LOT bigger than I thought.

I may get one of Chimo's stoves.
Old 14 February 2015, 21:19
Confronting the Reckoning

Esbits: I have these. I would recommend searching widely for vendors. I found a very good deal on eBay with an outfit that was selling lots of five, used, for approximately this Amazon price. They were surplus German issue and looked exactly like the new ones do after two or three uses.

Ziploc bag, four or five fuel tabs, stove, and packaged teas and coffee for the car get home bag.
Old 14 February 2015, 21:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Everyone does not have high paying contractor gig.
! won't have one after 15 April

but I've owned and used a Whisperlite stove for 24 years. (Before that I used an Esbit) The original one was passed to my son, who is in the Army and still uses it and own a Dragonfly now. It burns white gas, unleaded, diesel, and kerosene.

I'll draw the analogy of owning a Hi point .45 and a G21; they both do the same thing but the G21 does it better and is more reliable.

The Esbit stove is GREAT- as long as you can get Esbit fuel; the XGK will burn just about anything that is liquid and flammable. I once heard a story about a guy that burned fingernail polish remover in his...

BTW the fuel additive HEET work really well in it and one thing the Whisperlite does that the Esbit might not is boil water above 5000 feet in about 3 minutes...YMMV

One last thing- if you buy your Whisperlite through REI and you have a membership, you get 15% back at the end of the year...

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 17 February 2015 at 08:09.
Old 14 February 2015, 21:46
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCo275 View Post
Yeah, I need to do a better job with my fire starting kit. I have a couple small flint and steel kits with the fuel tabs and cotton balls but I need to work on something more like what you're talking about.
Have redundant systems for fire starting. I keep mine in an Altoids tin wrapped in electrical tape. Inside is cotton balls, char cloth, aluminum foil (wind screen), several matches (waterproof and regular), four inch strip of jute, and candles. I took an emery board and cut it down, then superglued it to the roof of the tin as a striker plate for the matches. Finally, I purchased an inexpensive magnesium/steel firestarter at Harbor Freight (least expensive anywhere) and added that to the kit.
Old 16 February 2015, 17:21
Odin's Underling

Quote:

I used one of these for years while I was growing up and still have it for camping now. My kids use it when they go camping with the Boy Scouts. Great little stove and fantastic for the money.

Quote:
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely won’t be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.
Old 16 February 2015, 17:23
Odin's Underling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
Have redundant systems for fire starting. I keep mine in an Altoids tin wrapped in electrical tape. Inside is cotton balls, char cloth, aluminum foil (wind screen), several matches (waterproof and regular), four inch strip of jute, and candles. I took an emery board and cut it down, then superglued it to the roof of the tin as a striker plate for the matches. Finally, I purchased an inexpensive magnesium/steel firestarter at Harbor Freight (least expensive anywhere) and added that to the kit.
I would imagine that should cover just about everything. I will certainly improve my stash. Thanks

Quote:
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely won’t be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.
Old 16 February 2015, 18:15
Been There Done That

Stoves are like shoes

Stoves are like shoes - you can never have enough.

Real, real cold with some serious burn time required - love my Whisperlite International.

Lightweight late spring through early fall - got some tiny Brunson burner that sits up on top a gas canister - get the winter mix for colder temps.

Extended outings where fuel may be a problem - I have a Solo Stove. Doesn't burn much bio mass but it does take some getting used to if you're going to try and cook something other than water.

All those Esbit Tabs, Heat Tabs, etc, etc and the small stoves that work with them all have their place.

Never did have much luck with alcohol stoves made out of coke cans but many swear by them.

Practicing with them helps.
Old 17 February 2015, 08:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
...snip...Real, real cold with some serious burn time required - love my Whisperlite International...
One January rotation at JRTC that had record lows, sleet, and snow showed the value of my Whisperlite- I had it burning almost continuously for about 10 hours, heating up #10 cans of water for my guys to have something warm to drink. I used 3 33oz fuel bottles during that time. Good thing I had the supply SGT bring my extra can of Coleman fuel...

Flash forward to prep for OIF1- I bought every squad/ vehicle team a Whisperlite XGK to take with them. I reasoned there are only a couple things better than a hot cup of coffee and a warm shave in the morning...
Old 17 February 2015, 08:39
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
used one for close to 15 years. Hell, I may still have it in the garage. I could not find something this stable(as opposed to gas), light weight and works as good. I recommend it.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 17 February 2015, 09:20
The Sagacious One

I guess it comes down to your views on the use of your bag and the kit that you put in it. Is it an ongoing aid for an indefinite period or a specific tool for a specific time. Like Pete said, just like shoes......
Old 17 February 2015, 10:25
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
I guess it comes down to your views on the use of your bag and the kit that you put in it. Is it an ongoing aid for an indefinite period or a specific tool for a specific time. Like Pete said, just like shoes......
X2 - Your "Go Bag" or BOB should have enough gear to get you through 72 hrs...enough to get you home or to relative safety. "Two is one, one is none." It's also about mobility. If you're carrying a pack that has 100lbs of gear, you might as well stay put.
Old 17 February 2015, 10:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
X2 - Your "Go Bag" or BOB should have enough gear to get you through 72 hrs...enough to get you home or to relative safety. "Two is one, one is none." It's also about mobility. If you're carrying a pack that has 100lbs of gear, you might as well stay put.
Agreed, however, I took my Whisperlite EVERYWHERE (it has over 110 jumps!)- the 3 pounds it weighed (full 33 oz fuel bottle, stove, aluminum pot, reflector)represented 'happiness' on my part- hot coffee/mocha/ramen and my troops could tell you that a 'happy' RGR Montcalm is much better than a 'not happy' RGR Montcalm...

The more I used it, the lighter it got, and the happier I was...

Last edited by RGR.Montcalm; 17 February 2015 at 11:01.
Old 17 February 2015, 11:10
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Agreed, however, I took my Whisperlite EVERYWHERE (it has over 110 jumps!)- the 3 pounds it weighed (full 33 oz fuel bottle, stove, aluminum pot, reflector)represented 'happiness' on my part- hot coffee/mocha/ramen and my troops could tell you that a 'happy' RGR Montcalm is much better than a 'not happy' RGR Montcalm...

The more I used it, the lighter it got, and the happier I was...
Well, I guess that handles the "morale" portion of this thread.
Old 17 February 2015, 11:12
Confirmed User

I have wanted to get a Solo stove for a while but haven't justified the price to myself yet.

Our new posting rules