SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 24 November 2014, 12:43
Confirmed User

You might look at PWS if you are considering POF or the REPR. I don't have one in 7.62, yet, but they have been great for me in 556 and 300 blk. If you are going to go DI, you might as well go with KAC.

I also really, really want a JP Enterprises LRP-07. If you're going to spend 3,500, might as well go big.
Old 24 November 2014, 14:06
Been There Done That

Heard Larue has ridiculous wait times if that is an issue.

LMT has a 308
Old 24 November 2014, 17:49
Been There Done That

Went shooting with a former cop buddy of mine who has a POF .308. The thing couldn't get through much more than a single 20 round magazine without a failure to eject. Three different ammo brands were used with the same results. My vote is on the LMT.
Old 24 November 2014, 18:03
The Sagacious One

Hmmmm..

My $.02 is that they are superior rifles and this add appears to be in good standing.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=454394926

The key to improving these rifle was adding the roller on the bolt key. The barrels are heat treated down the bore to give you the hardness of heat treating and the flexibility of a standard barrel.

The NP3 is key. While this one is cerakoted, the inside of the Upper is all NP3 coated as is the entire bolt carrier group and piston system.

They have adjustable gas systems for suppressed firing. They take P mags. What else do you want to know?

The biggest issue I had was the weight. These new rifles are exponentially lighter than the ones I had.
Old 24 November 2014, 18:05
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Went shooting with a former cop buddy of mine who has a POF .308. The thing couldn't get through much more than a single 20 round magazine without a failure to eject. Three different ammo brands were used with the same results. My vote is on the LMT.
Check the gas key is not set on suppressed. Make sure it has the roller head on the bolt retainer key.
Old 24 November 2014, 19:35
Been There Done That

Gas plug was good to go TFG. Will pass the word to my buddy about the roller key, but I think he has made up his mind to take it back to POF since they are a local company.
Old 24 November 2014, 20:42
Confirmed User

Assemble your own. I just did using Aero Precision receivers and gathered other parts based on my personal preference. I was able to do the build with a Nikon M-308 scope, 3 25 round P-mags, and 200 rounds of 168 gr FGMM for right at $2100. I was able to take advantage of several deals while putting it together, such as free shipping and various % off deals from different vendors.
Old 24 November 2014, 20:54
Confirmed User

I have a POF and really like the way it's built and feels. But it's a "safe queen" there were only 500 of these made. But I've read a few bad reviews on them. Thanks TFG & AZ5326.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POF.jpg (148.9 KB, 338 views)
Old 24 November 2014, 22:11
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Gas plug was good to go TFG. Will pass the word to my buddy about the roller key, but I think he has made up his mind to take it back to POF since they are a local company.
Frank will make it work. I had one like that and the roller key fixed it.
Old 24 November 2014, 22:12
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5831lvn View Post
I have a POF and really like the way it's built and feels. But it's a "safe queen" there were only 500 of these made. But I've read a few bad reviews on them. Thanks TFG & AZ5326.
You need to shoot the bejeezus out of that thing. You aint gonna get no interest saving it
Old 24 November 2014, 22:18
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe30045 View Post
Assemble your own. I just did using Aero Precision receivers and gathered other parts based on my personal preference. I was able to do the build with a Nikon M-308 scope, 3 25 round P-mags, and 200 rounds of 168 gr FGMM for right at $2100. I was able to take advantage of several deals while putting it together, such as free shipping and various % off deals from different vendors.
If you have the aptitude, this may be a good solution. I just built a 7.62 x 39 AR and it was loads of fun and a great rifle.
Old 24 November 2014, 22:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
You need to shoot the bejeezus out of that thing. You aint gonna get no interest saving it
I'll take that advice, won't be my next rotation, Feb. in PA. doesn't not invite me to the outdoor range.
Old 25 November 2014, 03:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Check the gas key is not set on suppressed. Make sure it has the roller head on the bolt retainer key.
what's the deal on the roller head? And under what applications should it be used?
Old 25 November 2014, 11:19
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post
Heard Larue has ridiculous wait times if that is an issue.

LMT has a 308
The wait times are one thing, but for what the rifle is (and isn't) I wouldn't ever again subject myself to that guys bullshit. You can buy a gun from them "custom" the way you want it, but fuck you if you don't pay up front. Then while you wait for a few years, you learn that all of the parts you ordered are discontinued, so you can either take a huge financial loss or rub his armadillo seasoning all over your anus and shout to the gods that LaRue is the best thing ever, won't matter. Either way you're getting what he gives you and you'll be lucky if that's anything.

LMT doesn't have A .308, I would go as far as saying they have THE .308 to beat. Without being obnoxious about it they have been putting out half-MOA guns right out of the box. Rather than sit on their throne like that rat guy, they haven't stopped innovating their original design for the 308MWS system and parts. Improving gas ports for those who use a suppressor as often as not, dual extractors on the bolt face preventing stripped casings (which LaRue is having a really hard time with lately), and an excellent two stage trigger right out of the box. You're looking at a $2500 gun that stands up to its KAC counterpart at half the price with better offerings. You don't have to believe me, Kevin Boland even admitted to enjoying swapping KAC and LMT uppers and lowers without noticing a hint of change in quality and precision machining.

You also are investing and saving with the LMT. It's a great intro 7.62 gun for starters, with a good optic you're looking around $3250. But with the turn of two bolts on the monolithic rail system (bridging rings and precision don't really go hand in hand) I can keep the same scope and throw in a wind-bucking laser shooter like the .260Rem or the 6.5CM. Or I could drop in a 12.5" .338Fed for whatever happens to be paining my ass at the time, or mess around with the 7mm-08. Same gun, different barrel assembly at around $450-500 each. I could have ADCO chop the stock 16" 7.62 barrel to 14" carbine and buy a 20" stainless 7.62 barrel for the longer shots. In theory I could have five different weapons with incredible precision and unique caliber traits, a proven locking system that has not exceeded an MOA in POI shift no matter how many times a barrel is removed, and I could have it all for less than a much more limiting KAC.

There's a few other options I would toy with if I had an infinite budget and was a glutton for punishment. POF was once a solid innovative bunch, but I would be careful with their work lately. DPMS is known for poor QC and corner cutting to appeal to the "it's all the same" crowd, but they recently came out with an absurdly lightweight .308 that uses AR-15 handrails and accessories which opens the aftermarket choices. Colt came out with...I don't even know what. It's two things without actual being "good" at either. But it's colt so they know more than me. Ruger and PWS both have surprised everyone with good piston guns in 7.62 but at that point I might just consider getting the Mk17 with the Handl and Midwest Industries offerings.

Oddly enough, one of the worst 7.62 guns in the AR platform seems to be the Armalite offerings...the guys that came up with the damn thing. I do know though that Aero Precision makes really great product and they're now selling different options in their M5 complete rifles, $1499-1799 depending on barrel length and cerakote color, stock, and ambi controls available.

2014-10-21_05-59-40 by andypie0331

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 25 November 2014, 12:31
Bitter old man.

I like SOW's LMT he hits what he aims at.
My SVD clone kept up with it no problem.Had a good spotter.

If I was to get a 308 AR LMT is my choice.

I still want to do a PTR vs LMT next time we shoot.
Old 25 November 2014, 16:17
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylaw View Post
If it were me, I'd buy an LMT MWS and never look back. It's a great rifle and the best 308 on the market for the money. My good friend just picked one up for $1750 out the door from DSG Arms. YMMV
Website lists it for $2399.00 ?

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses, row on row...."
Old 25 November 2014, 20:01
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
Website lists it for $2399.00 ?
I still think I got a whole hell of a lot more gun than I paid for at about $2850 all said and done.

Some folks will bitch about the weight of the monolithic upper but a good stock like the ASC/ACS-L or, should the funds allow it, the LMT PRS stock that runs on a carbine buffer, the weight is balanced. And all that weight is good once you load those bipods and your still boringly accurate with varying target distances and a few hundred rounds in your shoulder.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 25 November 2014, 20:04
BTDT

.5 MOA

Quote:
Without being obnoxious about it they have been putting out half-MOA guns right out of the box.
Check yourself.

Good shooting
Old 25 November 2014, 23:48
Another pool cleaner

My bud has a LMT 308 w/ Leup Mk6.

I'm green with envy.
Old 26 November 2014, 00:43
Overseas Gunplumber

LMT MWS is one of the few I would riot over (if we rioted here) because they are nice for the price. I also would deter most from building a .308 unless they do a lot of research.

There is no standard for a .308 per se which means the specs are all over the place. I built one earlier this year for someone in occupied territory with the upper and lower he supplied and it made my balls ache.

I used a very good barrel and other parts, and it was still a clusterfuck. I ended up going with the Centurion Arms CMR rail because the other wouldn't work. I also had to use a CMMG BCG because there were no other quality ones available.

Now you can purchase the LMT .308 BCG which would have been nice.

I would be looking at either a SCAR17 or the LMT MWS.

IMG_20140428_140800_382 (Large).jpg

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC

Our new posting rules