SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 6 December 2014, 02:20
Been There Done That

TAVOR SAR G16 Opinions?

Anyone have one?

Huge fan of my Styer AUG A-3, will not even consider a M-4 stye rifle anymore.

So, now looking at the TAVOR rifles that are now available, and have been the staple of the Israeli Army since 2003.

Heard of course pros and cons compared to the Styer Aug.

Anyone own one? Opinions and reviews? How is the issued Meprolight Reflex sight? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 December 2014, 02:49
Been There Done That

I have about 2500 rounds through an actual TAR 21 during a JCET to India in 2008. I like the gun, its accurate enough, handles well, and had no issues save one.

The issue I saw with the gun is the "foregrip" controls of the TAVOR. The wires for control of the light and other accessories run very close to the barrel assembly. During very hard use (read as in trying to F'n break it) you could smell the wires burning.

IMO if I was in the market for a bullpup the Tavor is easily the first choice. The DTA bullpup that is coming I think might be the cats meow, but until I shoot one I have no clue.

The process of converting from right side to left side is rather extensive. I know the Indians were rather scared of me taking their new toy completely apart. But if you pay attention the L/R ejection conversion is not too complicated.

Standard AR mags and not too expensive, I could really see that gun in a vehicle mounted role. There is a trigger kit out there for it. I think that would probably be the first and only mod. I shot a civilian version last year that had a trigger job and I liked a lot more than I thought I would. The Meprolight sight was fine.
Old 6 December 2014, 06:16
Been There Done That

Thanks for the feedback Fox. Sounds good to me.

Interesting to see how it is being adopted by Thailand and Vietnam also, where as select units in Cambodia are accepting the Chinese bull pup version (QBZ-95)

Think I will probably get one, have the Styer and the Tavor. Would have been great to have one of these overseas, so much more practical than the M-4 or Ak variants. Better for CQB, vehicle movements, motorbike patrols, even foot patrols iMHO.

Have the trigger mod as well for my Steyr, just have not been home enough yet to install it.

Think will get the full rail version, and then purchase the Meprolight separately, so can get the version with the amber triangle. Use to use a Trijicon reflex overseas with the Triangle, and really liked it. To me at least was easier to pick up than the dots.

Old 6 December 2014, 08:51
Unemployed Stunt Double

How well does the Tavor run when it's dirty? I like the AUG a lot, but have not purchased one because they don't run a well as a M4 when dirty (in my experience working alongside some militaries that issue both the M4 and the AUG).
Old 10 December 2014, 08:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
How well does the Tavor run when it's dirty? I like the AUG a lot, but have not purchased one because they don't run a well as a M4 when dirty (in my experience working alongside some militaries that issue both the M4 and the AUG).
Well, I would have to disagree, for me the AUG seems to run better than the M4 - being piston driven and on the AUG you have the ability to manually change the gas setting, to account for more adverse (cold or dirty) environments. Of course maybe subjective.

As for the Tavor, seems like good reports from it's service with the IDF so far.

I will probably though stick with the Steyr Aug platform, instead of getting a Tavor, as I just have a real like for the weapon (plus have many AUG mags now).

Old 10 December 2014, 08:38
Been There Done That

Thought this was a interesting comparison between the AUG and the Tavor, written up in a review:
"I own both the Tavor and the AUG, since day one the AUG has been the standout, but the Tavor is a fine weapon that I wouldn't mind owning if I could only have just one. So far what I've personally decided....

Looks = AUG
Generally subjective, but in this case it's hard to argue otherwise.

Reliability = AUG
Current round count aprox 4k AUG & 2k Favor
The Tavor has had some failures (FTF/FTE/DF).
The AUG has been 100% (Steyr mags)
AUG has the ability to select 'adverse' if needed, Tavor doesn't
AUG has a forward assist if needed, Tavor doesn't

Trigger = AUG
More predictable, better reset, a few pounds lighter pull (no intention of spending a bunch of money buying a different Tavor pack)

Accuracy = AUG
Overall I shoot the AUG better, and off a rest I can get much better groups than with the Tavor.

Takedown/Cleaning = AUG
Everything is more accessible, the barrel is a breeze to clean when removed, and the inside of the AUG is more accessible with less 'hidden' areas to clean.
Also I always manage to pop out the Tavors bolt release when pulling the pack out.

Safety = AUG
This has more to do with my body geometry then a poor/bad design. With the Tavor I can disengage the safety just fine, but I have to change my grip and stretch my fingers to reengage it. With the AUG no issues at all and I don't have to alter grip.

VFG = AUG
Speaks for itself, yes you can buy one for the Tavor but the IWI bolt on rail seemed pretty cheesy on the one I tried. On the other hand I dont feel the 'need' for a VFG with the Tavor, so that's a plus I guess.

Prone = AUG
The AUG seems like it was designed to work well in the prone position, especially the way the lower part of the rear stock is contoured, my hand/arm naturally fall in a support portion under the stock. With the Tavor I have to crank it a bit and it's still a little uncomfortable.

Top Rail = ???/AUG
I went with a 3x M1 AUG (love the look), if I stick with it rails are a nonstarter. If I decide to dump it and use the ELCAN or VCOG I'm not yet sure which platform will be better, the Tavor has a massive rail mounted just right, but the two rails available for the M1 may be all that's needed. After 4k rounds Im hooked on the AUG 3x scope, Ive got an RMR on it now but will be switching to one of the new DeltaPoints when released in the spring, the Steyr 3x glass is better than my ACOGs.

Side Rail = AUG
I can activate a surefire on the AUG with my trigger hand/finger, on the Tavor I have to reach around and up with my support and or use a switch pad.

Barrel Removal = AUG
No tools needed, and literally takes just seconds. The Tavor needs tools and takes about 10 minutes from the videos I've seen. At this point I believe I will likely get an extra 20 or 24 inch barrel for the AUG, but the Tavor will likely stay a 16 inch.

Bolt Release = AUG
Largely subjective/training, but find I often miss the Tavors bolt release and end up taking a second slip at it, I've yet to miss with the AUG.

Mag Release = AUG
I originally liked the Tavors better, but now after quite a bit of use I much prefer the AUGs
I watched the MAC video where he tries to "accidentally" get it to release and didn't, i've tried and managed to get it to release the mag quite a few times.
I now believe thats why the new Tavor version changed the mag release, I can see why.

BUIS = Tavor
With that said, Ive never found a need for them nor have I ever met a single Soldier or Marine who's ever had the need for them.
I personally think they are hype

Magazines = AUG
Touchy subject among AR owners, but AUG mags simply run flawless
And if were honest, the best AR mags (Pmags) are relative copies of the AUG mag.

Sling Mount = Tavor
I think they are perfect, single or dual the location rock. I'm still working on a single point solution for the AUG, and the way the dual point mounts over the front bugs me to no end. In fact the one and only complaint I have about the AUG is the sling mount positions, many/most say they are a nonissue and work fine for them, but that forward one bugs me to no end.

IMO AUG > Tavor.... by a lot, but the Tavor is still a fine weapon Im very proud to own."

Old 10 December 2014, 08:43
Been There Done That

Seems Thailand is ordering more Tavors, looks like they are looking at replacing their AR platforms with the Tavors. Interesting. Currently about 1/3 of the Thai Army is sporting new Tavors it seems.

If I head back over to the that part of the world, maybe I can justify on my taxes the need to purchase a Tavor for training/work purposes.

Old 11 December 2014, 20:30
Confirmed User

You can get a higher performance trigger kit for the Tavor. They are also coming out with some nifty integral suppressor kits.
Old 14 December 2014, 12:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
You can get a higher performance trigger kit for the Tavor. They are also coming out with some nifty integral suppressor kits.

I have also heard you can just remove one of the triggers internal springs. This cuts down the trigger pull several pounds, to like 8.5 and has no negative effects - other than if you send it back to Tavor for any reason it voids the warranty. So put the spring back in before returning if you need to.

Old 15 December 2014, 08:17
Confirmed User

I typically shoot a M1 Garand. I think I'll ask santa for a rifle that looks like it comes of the set of a si-fi movie. Maybe a Tavor with one of those Manticore forends with built in light, a supressor and the compass thingy in the stock.
Old 15 December 2014, 10:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
I typically shoot a M1 Garand. I think I'll ask santa for a rifle that looks like it comes of the set of a si-fi movie. Maybe a Tavor with one of those Manticore forends with built in light, a supressor and the compass thingy in the stock.
Manticore makes some good stuff and great service. Just received a fold away charging handle and a talon scope mount for my AUG A-3. Very impressed by the quality.

Now is the best time to buy that AUG or Tavor. Some of the best prices have ever seen. If interested in a AUG, send me a PM - have a contact that gets them direct from Steyr and sells just above wholesale.

Previously owned, and even newer A-3 models are now selling for
a fraction of the cost they were a year ago.

Old 9 May 2015, 18:51
Bitter old man.

Shop had one he got for a client.
I played around with it be a great truck or house gun.
I did find it awkward in prone to do a mag change.Found the trigger was stiff dry firing.Client said he was going to put a can on it and will curious how much gas he will be breathing from location of ejection port.
If it turns up used in a few months might buy it lol.
Would have liked to put some rounds through it.
Old 20 June 2015, 09:39
The Sagacious One

Can't you get an AUG that takes M4 mags? That's my issue. We have an Aug at the store, but the AUG only mag is what dissuades me.
Old 20 June 2015, 09:45
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Can't you get an AUG that takes M4 mags? That's my issue. We have an Aug at the store, but the AUG only mag is what dissuades me.
They can be ordered to take M4 mags.
Old 20 June 2015, 11:29
The Sagacious One

Anyone buy a tavor since this thread stalled?

Thoughts?
Old 20 June 2015, 11:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Yes, you can get one with a "Nato"stock - those will accept M4 mags.

But, in my opinion the Steyr OEM mags are some of the best quality mags out there - so I would stuck with the standard AUG stock. Plus Steyr makes 42 round mags. Right now you can get 30 round or 42 round mags for around $20 each.

Old 3 July 2015, 09:04
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Anyone buy a tavor since this thread stalled?

Thoughts?
I had traded for a Tavor. Had all the bells and whistles already done to it. Only complaint was the gas leaking out the left side ejection port cover when shooting indoors. Takes some getting get use to the reloads, etc. All in all it was a great gun but for me was more of a novelty item like the KSG. Looks cool, shoots well, but not allowed to be carried by my department.
Old 3 July 2015, 09:28
Confirmed User

If you want piston driven why not go with a LM&T, their piston model is excellent and AMERICAN made too !!!
Old 3 July 2015, 10:02
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndrgrbn82-85 View Post
If you want piston driven why not go with a LM&T, their piston model is excellent and AMERICAN made too !!!
Had one of those too. Unfortunately I had to sell it. I did just pick up another piston driven rifle. SIG 556XI. lightweight and fun to shoot, folding stock to conceal easily and far less than both the Tavor and LMT.
Old 3 July 2015, 17:26
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat8541 View Post
I had traded for a Tavor. Had all the bells and whistles already done to it. Only complaint was the gas leaking out the left side ejection port cover when shooting indoors. Takes some getting get use to the reloads, etc. All in all it was a great gun but for me was more of a novelty item like the KSG. Looks cool, shoots well, but not allowed to be carried by my department.
Any issues with being picky with ammo or mags?
Easy to clean field strip?

Our new posting rules