SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 3 July 2015, 21:24
Chuck Norris Approved

No issues with ammo or mags or field stripping. Pretty simple process all the way around.
Old 3 July 2015, 22:23
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat8541 View Post
I had traded for a Tavor. Had all the bells and whistles already done to it. Only complaint was the gas leaking out the left side ejection port cover when shooting indoors. Takes some getting get use to the reloads, etc. All in all it was a great gun but for me was more of a novelty item like the KSG. Looks cool, shoots well, but not allowed to be carried by my department.
Do you still have it?
Old 3 July 2015, 23:35
Easily irritated

Some bullpup favoring guys I know like the FN fs2000 if its still available.
Old 4 July 2015, 08:05
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish78 View Post
Some bullpup favoring guys I know like the FN fs2000 if its still available.
Overpriced like all their products.
Old 5 July 2015, 14:47
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Do you still have it?
No I do not still have it. I sold it for something that my department would allow me to use. If I had the chance to pick up another one at a decent price I wouldn't hesitate to do so.
Old 5 July 2015, 16:48
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat8541 View Post
No I do not still have it. I sold it for something that my department would allow me to use. If I had the chance to pick up another one at a decent price I wouldn't hesitate to do so.
Cheap pricks don't issue you a patrol rifle?
Old 5 July 2015, 19:35
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Cheap pricks don't issue you a patrol rifle?
Nope...very small township PD. We have three cars and two shotguns. They just now opted to buy department issued G22's. I was able to at least keep using my VP9 without objection.
Old 6 July 2015, 17:54
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Anyone buy a tavor since this thread stalled?

Thoughts?

I have one.

I've only had a chance to fire it twice. Just got the barrel back from having a supressor adapter installed and re-assembled it before the 4th of July holiday.

Hope to get out and try it with the can and see how much blowback I eat from the chamber being next to my face. I may regret it.

I'm not a fan of bulpups in general. I like this one enough to keep it.

It is as short as my 10.5" AR with the stock fully collapsed. Which I think is handy.

A 20 rnd Magpul mag actually fits in it really nicely and doesn't make the platform much taller. a 30 round mag sticks out a little below the rifle so... concealment, gun bag, etc. Look at a 20 rounder as an option.

The trigger is heavy - but clean. I few other bulpups I've fired... there is usually some sort of linkage from the trigger by your finger to the trigger assembly by the chamber and it is a little "mushy" in my experience. This doesn't seem to have that feeling. Don't fool yourself, it is a solid 11lb trigger but is doesn't have much take-up and it breaks clean with little over travel. I might look at one of the many aftermarket triggers out there later. But it fired 2 or 3 inch groups with the heavy trigger so right now, it doesn't have a $350 problem.

No real "torture test" or anything like that but I fired about 500 rounds out of it so far - 300 in one session and 200 in another. I fed it 6 different types of 5.56 ammo (whatever I could scrounge from the safe) including some steel cased wolf crap and zeroed an Aimpoint PRO on it. No failures with ammo or magazines - tried c-products, Okay metal mags and polymer Magpul, Troy and the IWI branded one that came with it.
Old 7 July 2015, 01:39
Confirmed User

I have about 4K rounds through my Tavor, not a main gun by any means but its a fun little shooter that has SBR length and swing with none of the stamp issues.

The stock gun is pretty meh, I have upgraded mine quite a bit including MI keymod rail, Geissele trigger shoe and trigger pac, metal AR style ambi safety, MI ejection port cover.

The gun runs like the clappers, eats dirt and crud like a feral hog, suppressed is a dream (with the cover upgrade!) and after a few days of use my mag swaps are equally as fast on Tavor as on an AR even with the wonky if not ill defined manual of arms.

Only downside to the gun in my opinion is the bouncing feeling that happens with the Tavors short piston design. The recoil pulse coupled with the bounce is very noticeable and initially threw me off on second and third shots. It really used to manifest when shooting on the move while engaging multiple targets, it just felt weird.

This was my first and only bullpup so I can only compare to my AR's but in a SHTF situation I think I would have no problem slapping this into my wife's hands and hitting the road.

here is a photo of my gun:

Old 8 July 2015, 10:33
Bitter old man.

Accuracy of Tavors?
Old 8 July 2015, 13:43
Nec Aspera Terrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer747 View Post

here is a photo of my gun:

Nice Tavor... would love to give one a try someday... What kind of sight is that you have mounted on it?

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 12 July 2015, 18:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
Nice Tavor... would love to give one a try someday... What kind of sight is that you have mounted on it?
Trijicon SRS, wanted to try something other than an Aimpoint and I'm not a EoTech fan so that narrowed it down to a handful.

Not a bad dot, has solar for sunny days and runs on a AA but kind of chunky.
Old 14 July 2015, 22:44
Nec Aspera Terrent

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer747 View Post
Trijicon SRS, wanted to try something other than an Aimpoint and I'm not a EoTech fan so that narrowed it down to a handful.

Not a bad dot, has solar for sunny days and runs on a AA but kind of chunky.
Thanks Gamer...!

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 14 April 2016, 10:33
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
How well does the Tavor run when it's dirty? I like the AUG a lot, but have not purchased one because they don't run a well as a M4 when dirty (in my experience working alongside some militaries that issue both the M4 and the AUG).
I have been shooting the AUG A3 lately and find it does not get as dirty as AR type rifles. Took me less time to clean it properly and doesn't need as much lube.

Overall a great rifle and well made. With the NATO stock a little slower to reload though.

The gas setting got me at first dummy me had it set on GR for grenades so it was a bolt action.
The manual didn't mention it has three settings.

Leopard squared me away.
Old 18 April 2016, 09:47
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Can't you get an AUG that takes M4 mags? That's my issue. We have an Aug at the store, but the AUG only mag is what dissuades me.
Did you get one yet? They might make a 6.5 Grendel barrel for it.
Old 18 April 2016, 17:07
Been There Done That

4-5 months out now, word I am getting, for the 40th Anniversary Year Steyr AUGs coming out. 400 to be made. Back to the originally A-1/STG77 design, with 20" barrels and "skinny" scope. On the list.
Attached Images
File Type: png steyr-aug-a1-stg-77.png (221.1 KB, 168 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19 April 2016, 09:07
Bitter old man.

That 40th looks sweet.
Old 19 April 2016, 09:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
That 40th looks sweet.
Yes it does. Suppose to be a re-make of the original A-1. With a 40th Anniversary logo and a special case included. I am thinking it will be something along the lines of the Jeff Cooper special edition Steyr Scout. Saving up the coin now, and willing to sell my current AUG if need be to fund. Optimal set up would be to have both the 20" barrel 40th year version, and then a 16.5" or 18" M-1 version as well. The 20" barrel version will make a nice coyote hunter.

Old 22 April 2016, 06:38
Confirmed User

LP
How is the trigger on the AUG? I've been told they are quite accurate.
Old 22 April 2016, 06:53
Been There Done That

Well, it is a "battle trigger", lets put it that way. But, for $29 you can buy a modification that takes about 1 minute to install that really smooths it out.

And for about $100 you can buy a TSM2020 Sear modification, that makes the trigger very nice. Crisp, shorter reset, etc.

I have had both modifications on AUGs and they work as advertised and make a big difference.

In terms of accuracy? Have been very impressed. I get around 1.5" -2" groups no problem with 55gr Geco ammo, when I go off of a rested position, with my 18.5" barrel.

Last edited by leopardprey; 22 April 2016 at 07:01.

Our new posting rules