Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 27 October 2016, 22:23
Adding Chlorine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Looks like a nice piece of kit.
Having never heard of them until his post, I hit YouTube up. They have a couple videos of LongSlide 10mm ringing steel at 100yds.

Be real interested to hear an AAR once you get some range time with it Regulator3

Not As Lean, Not As Mean, Still A Marine
YAT YAS
Old 29 October 2016, 12:33
Been There Done That

My new (slightly used) Colt:

I'm waiting for new VZ Grips.

8 shots @ 25 yards, offhand with 2nd Ammendment +P

Old 29 October 2016, 13:26
Make a desert and call it peace.

That's not bad man. Who'd you have shoot it for you? S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 29 October 2016, 14:15
Been There Done That

I'd say your Mom but she'd probably call that an off day.
Old 29 October 2016, 19:15
Make a desert and call it peace.

Yeah, she might. Make you practice til you got it right, or no desert, lol. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 31 October 2016, 17:39
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbedder View Post
There's nothing substandard about classic designs.
I came across Old Faithful brand new back in the 90's.
The pistol and me have been through a-lot together.
It's been re-built and refinished a few times since too.
[A very misunderstood and misrepresented pistol to many]
My 1911[s] are all remarkably reliable ... for some reason.
Nice looking piece. I like the thin stocks.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 3 November 2016, 01:38
Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
Nice looking piece. I like the thin stocks.
Thanks - I discovered the stocks years ago, they're a laminate of some sort. I have them on a few of my Commander models as well. My LW-Commander disappears quite nicely IWB-Carry in a Milt Sparks Summer Special with the same grips

The Smithy's that originally built-up the pistol to GSP Specs [back in the mid 90's] installed them as an alternative to a full-blown Slim-Line reduction[which includes machining down the frame as well] ... and - Yes, that's one of the original [12] Wilson 47-Series mags I acquired around the same time. The one thing Bill Wilson and I agreed on back then... He made the best mags available.
Old 3 November 2016, 21:43
Confirmed User

This is my main 1911. I had two of them built, one for me and one for brother. Thug by Mars Armament. Runs great and fun to shoot.

Novak mega dot front

Last edited by Gunk; 3 November 2016 at 21:50.
Old 3 November 2016, 21:46
Been There Done That

Very nice Gunk! Need one of those front sights on mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29 November 2016, 09:46
Confirmed User

I'm starting to think about getting a lightweight commander. Nice and flat to carry.
Old 29 November 2016, 12:04
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
My new (slightly used) Colt:

I'm waiting for new VZ Grips.

8 shots @ 25 yards, offhand with 2nd Ammendment +P

But you missed twice, that's unsat Sir

That's a nice blaster you have there. And a good freehand group even if you're breaking your wrist up a bit which is easy to correct. Sorry, I don't mean that in a negative way or anything, just a little unsolicited feedback after looking at your target. I did the same thing from the 25 line freehand when I was getting used to a 10mm 1911 and I had to train the bad habit out of myself.

What kind of holster/s are you having the best luck with? Using a WML seems to make finding a good holster either very difficult, or very expensive. I started using a DSG Alpha though and it's been great for OWB and IWB as well as running it mounted on a war belt with Kevlar inserts.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 29 November 2016, 12:14
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Apparently this gun was designed with shooting with gloves on in mind.

Maybe it needs to be deeper so it won't drop the mag if you bump the release while doing Green Beret shit?
Have you tried adjusting the tension on the magazine release lock? If it's not properly installed it will either feel like it needs to be pushed further than you're used to, or depressing the magazine release with the same pressure you're normally using will not fully release the magazine.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 1 December 2016, 13:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
a good freehand group even if you're breaking your wrist up a bit which is easy to correct.
I haven't heard that term before. If you're willing to teach I'm willing to learn.

Quote:
What kind of holster/s are you having the best luck with? Using a WML seems to make finding a good holster either very difficult, or very expensive. I started using a DSG Alpha though and it's been great for OWB and IWB as well as running it mounted on a war belt with Kevlar inserts.
It came with a Garret Industries Silent Thunder but I have not purchased a holster to be used with the surefire yet.
Old 1 December 2016, 15:56
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
I haven't heard that term before. If you're willing to teach I'm willing to learn.

It came with a Garret Industries Silent Thunder but I have not purchased a holster to be used with the surefire yet.
Sorry I don't have a formal list of ways to diagnose group checks. I've heard it called a lot of things, some people call it limp-wristing but that's kind of the opposite of what's happening. If you're consistently grouping high but your impacts are centered, what's likely happening is a subconscious recoil anticipation. Either tightening your ring and pinky fingers of your firing hand to better control the gun when you expect the hammer to drop, or "unlocking" your wrist so that the recoil impulse doesn't all stop at that point. I see it a lot with long courses of fire, especially with .45/10mm in 1911s.

I'm not trying to say you don't know what you're doing brother, at the beginning and end of my range sessions I'll shoot a few confirmation groups and read them like I did with yours, so I can identify bad habits I'm falling into, and correct them before I start training. That way I'm not repeating a bad habit and making it my default if that makes sense.

SOTB once said something I still use for teaching today. Most of your firing hand grip will be your middle finger and the web of your thumb and index finger. The others are there for emotional support. Your grip should be like you're holding a banana that you don't want to let be pulled away. You can't squish it in your hands, but you can't just let it sit there. That's about the amount of grip strength you should be holding the gun with. Let your support hand do it's job and your firing hand should only be worried about that same controlled steady trigger pull. Keep that front sight on your target and don't let your trigger pull move it in any direction.

I'm probably telling you mostly stuff you know. It's all about the application of the basics, everything from difficult positions and time stress is external. Front sight covering your target, controlled trigger pull, reset.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 1 December 2016, 16:24
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Sorry I don't have a formal list of ways to diagnose group checks. I've heard it called a lot of things, some people call it limp-wristing but that's kind of the opposite of what's happening. If you're consistently grouping high but your impacts are centered, what's likely happening is a subconscious recoil anticipation. Either tightening your ring and pinky fingers of your firing hand to better control the gun when you expect the hammer to drop, or "unlocking" your wrist so that the recoil impulse doesn't all stop at that point. I see it a lot with long courses of fire, especially with .45/10mm in 1911s.

I'm not trying to say you don't know what you're doing brother, at the beginning and end of my range sessions I'll shoot a few confirmation groups and read them like I did with yours, so I can identify bad habits I'm falling into, and correct them before I start training. That way I'm not repeating a bad habit and making it my default if that makes sense.

SOTB once said something I still use for teaching today. Most of your firing hand grip will be your middle finger and the web of your thumb and index finger. The others are there for emotional support. Your grip should be like you're holding a banana that you don't want to let be pulled away. You can't squish it in your hands, but you can't just let it sit there. That's about the amount of grip strength you should be holding the gun with. Let your support hand do it's job and your firing hand should only be worried about that same controlled steady trigger pull. Keep that front sight on your target and don't let your trigger pull move it in any direction.

I'm probably telling you mostly stuff you know. It's all about the application of the basics, everything from difficult positions and time stress is external. Front sight covering your target, controlled trigger pull, reset.
I practice this method helped me to improve.
Shark have you considered an Arched MSH? I tend to shoot better with Arched vs Flat MSH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKgAkwB8WRo
Old 1 December 2016, 16:29
Firearms Industry Exile

Shark dude I hope I'm not coming across as some cocky shit. I'm not afraid to admit that as recently as a year ago I fuckin SUCKED at pistol marksmanship. I mean I could qualify on a WPS range requirement but "minute of paper plate" was my baseline and I thought that was just how I shoot.

Poorly.

Most of the training I went through was built on high stress environments and putting rounds quickly on a man sizeded target. Five impacts, all in no particular grouping pattern and a couple inches apart, was fine. Put holes in the bad guy and overtake him with fire superiority and violence of action you know? And the much-loved bruiser sessions at ECQC courses. A couple punches to the head and that other shit goes out the window.

In hindsight I've had to reverse my position on 3-Gun and competitive shooting. I used to believe it was too much focus on things that don't matter much when you do it for real. Now I wish I had been trained that way before all the other classes reinforced bad shooting habits. I recall Haley way back when he was teaching on Pendleton used to preach that only taking the high stress combat oriented training, and not putting an equal or proportional amount of focus on precision pistol marksmanship, made you only slightly more prepared for the unknown than the guy who only ever shoots a circle target at the indoor range. I'm finding myself more and more in agreement.

The best part is that all of the improvements I have made in recent months were done with one on one training sessions with a coworker who has never carried a weapon into harms way. I'm good with it but I see a lot of shooters who refuse to take advice from anyone without a certain resume. Fuck that, if some soccer mom shows up and can teach me better trigger control, I'll sponge up every bit of it.

As an example of how much I found I could learn, day one training with my buddy, he had me shoot three five round groups with no set time limit from 7 yards. My group average was about 3.5" (told you I sucked). In ideal conditions, doing what I thought I had to do. Each group took maybe 15 seconds because I wanted to see my best possible group. Fast forward 9 months. Last night in 38 degree rainy cold darkness, we ran drills where you had to turn, light your targets to identify which one was the one to shoot this time, fire two rounds, then fire another 5 while moving to close distance.

From the buzzer to the first shot was 1.3 seconds, and the split times were averaged at .68. All impacts were touching in a group that measured on the outsides 1.9". I'm far more confident in my combat shooting not that I have learned the fundamentals

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 1 December 2016, 20:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Shark dude I hope I'm not coming across as some cocky shit.
Not at all man. I'm always open to suggestion and looking for ways to improve. I appreciate the advice and I'll give it a shot. At the moment I'm just trying to get an opportunity to shoot minute of deer...
Old 1 December 2016, 23:39
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Not at all man. I'm always open to suggestion and looking for ways to improve. I appreciate the advice and I'll give it a shot. At the moment I'm just trying to get an opportunity to shoot minute of deer...
Well shit it seems like all of these things could be solved with a trip out here to the Live Free Or Die state. These big ass white tailed rats are crowding my range!

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 6 December 2016, 01:54
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Never shot a SIG 1911 but do see quite a few for short money in the shops in my AO. SIG QC has been in the toliet for a bit now FYI. See the P227 thread.

Well, it finally showed up. Looks pretty good at first glance, no vertical slide travel etc. I'll report back after I get it to the range and after I drop a wilson flat spring in it.

Have to admit I like the way they look.

Old 6 December 2016, 16:09
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Well, it finally showed up. Looks pretty good at first glance, no vertical slide travel etc. I'll report back after I get it to the range and after I drop a wilson flat spring in it.

Have to admit I like the way they look.

Good looking weapon sir.

I use grease for lube on my 1911s. I do believe the flat wire spring is the way to go. And from this thread you should find some decent choices for mags. I believe Mec-Gar makes the mags for Sig. And I have had good luck with them.

Hit up TFG he has a trick with toothpaste he uses on 1911s.

Happy shooting and I hope it runs well for you.

Our new posting rules