Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 8 March 2016, 12:18
Bitter old man.

Red Dots on Handguns

I am curious as to the durability of RMR type sights for everyday carry? How do they hold up if dropped, banged off of desk or doors etc?Also high round counts loss of zero etc.How does the glass hold up to scratching?

I have seen plenty on how great they are but really no "Torture" test or someone writing how their Red Dot held up to EDC for a period of time.

Thank you in advance.
Old 8 March 2016, 13:34
Authorized Personnel

Waste of money, and just added weight to affect balance IMO. If you can't hit center mass consistently from 25m in you should work on your marksmanship, maybe get some custom sights, versus buying any type of handgun optic.

Or maybe forgo a pistol all together and buy an 870 with .00 Buck
Old 8 March 2016, 13:39
Authorized Personnel

I've shot several and don't see the utility of them. Maybe if you're shooting USPSA and need hundredths of seconds or something I'd see it, but for a "work" or defense gun, no thanks. To me the reliability questions outweigh the benefits.
Old 8 March 2016, 14:13
Authorized Personnel

I think they are "getting there" - I remember when people would not advocate red dot sights on rifles. "Iron sights don't run out of batteries" "How do you know it can hold a zero?" "What if it gets wet?" etc. But look at where we are now?

I will say, if a rifle is your primary weapon system, there is limited utility in an RDS on your secondary weapon system.

However, if your pistol is your primary and evidence supports that you get more accurate hits, significantly faster, and at longer ranges I think a decent argument can be made to start moving in that direction. Some people are already doing it. I think their performance in the field will bear a lot of this out. But if it is any indication, Glock is making factory slides pre-milled and tapped for RDS mounts.

The big IF is if the technology supports it. How long do batteries last? can I drop the weapon, pick it up and have it still work? can I have secondary sighting system for backup? does the RDS make it unwieldy or un concealable? If I'm in a uniformed holster in the rain 10 hours a day for 5 days straight, how's the sight work now?

Did you see this thread? http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=123570
Old 8 March 2016, 14:24
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

How are the answers above related in the slightest to the OP's post?
Old 8 March 2016, 15:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
How are the answers above related in the slightest to the OP's post?
Just generating discussion - it was on topic. I have a lot of the same questions.

I think an RDS is an interesting concept but I am at the same point of not trusting one yet due to the lack of information and / or time in the field to measure long term durability and viability.
Old 8 March 2016, 16:14
Make a desert and call it peace.

I like optical sights, the issues I have on a handgun is ergonomics, durability and battery life. How do they carry in a holster? What's the damage potential? How does battery life work out? My carry guns are low time investment things, like a pocket knife. I'm not doing pre-mission prep every time I walk out the door, I PM my CCW guns once a week and I bet that's a shit ton more than most ppl who carry.

That G-lock 10mm of TFG has me interested, the cost of the optic seems like a stiff hit, but then I think of the custom 1911's I have and realize I'm being irrational. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 8 March 2016, 16:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I am curious as to the durability of RMR type sights for everyday carry? How do they hold up if dropped, banged off of desk or doors etc?Also high round counts loss of zero etc.How does the glass hold up to scratching?

I have seen plenty on how great they are but really no "Torture" test or someone writing how their Red Dot held up to EDC for a period of time.

Thank you in advance.
As well like to see the long term affects. I know the Trijicon reflex sight I had mounted on my M-4 and SAW in Iraq took a lot of abuse and still stayed zeroed. But, having one on a handgun is a bit of a different ball game.

Does anyone know if any LE Departments are using the set up? That would be a good way to evaluate longevity.

Out of my budget, but would love to get a hold of one of these and put it through the paces for 6 months and see how it does.

http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pisto...government-rmr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 8 March 2016, 17:20
FIDO

You read my mind. I have a Burris Fastfire 3 laying around that I was considering mounting on my Glock. Not sure if I could use it for EDC carry. But might be fun for the range.
Old 8 March 2016, 17:35
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Does anyone know if any LE Departments are using the set up? That would be a good way to evaluate longevity.

Duck Marshal was using his in the field?I believe his Agency doesn't allow them anymore?
Old 8 March 2016, 17:40
Been There Done That

I think in the future, you are going to see these becoming more and more popular with the over 40 crowd.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 8 March 2016, 18:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
I think in the future, you are going to see these becoming more and more popular with the over 40 crowd.
I think in the future you'll see these become the norm for everyone.

The argument against these types of sights is...shortsighted.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 8 March 2016, 18:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post

So you're saying that we need to "see the light?"
Old 8 March 2016, 19:13
BTDT

RMR

I frequently carry a G20C w/an RMR & a Streamlight TLR-1.

RMR durability: I have not broken it yet; nor, have I had any zero creep. I've been carrying it for about 2 years. My concealment clothes seem to be wearing the paint off the right side corners of the sight; but, that's it.

It works for me. I am more accurate & I am faster. I took the iron sights off also. They were just getting in the way of what I needed to see.

I've gone to a "different" technique of bringing the weapon from the holster to where I press. Tech. used by the Philipino USPSA shooters.

Good shooting
Old 8 March 2016, 23:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
What' are you trying to say? Lol...Now were back to the shotgun/00 buck idea. Which isn't a bad choice.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 8 March 2016, 23:09
The Sagacious One

If you have an astigmatism, get the Trijicon. Its holographic and has no sparkle like the electric lights. It also has Tritium which is just bad ass. I was hesitant at first, but so far I am sold on it.
Old 8 March 2016, 23:32
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
I frequently carry a G20C w/an RMR & a Streamlight TLR-1.

RMR durability: I have not broken it yet; nor, have I had any zero creep. I've been carrying it for about 2 years. My concealment clothes seem to be wearing the paint off the right side corners of the sight; but, that's it

Good shooting
Good to see someone in my AO.

I do, however have a question. I am 6'1"+, 210-15 lbs, and I don't see ANY way your carry combo could be possibly be carried concealed without being rather obvious. What do you wear that won't telegraph, GUN?
Old 9 March 2016, 00:11
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
If you have an astigmatism, get the Trijicon. Its holographic and has no sparkle like the electric lights. It also has Tritium which is just bad ass. I was hesitant at first, but so far I am sold on it.
What is the effect of rain/moisture? Does it wash out like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MSW RMR Rain.jpg (39.9 KB, 327 views)
Old 9 March 2016, 00:33
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post

Bingo. As the SMU's go so does everyone else.
Old 9 March 2016, 09:53
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
If I decide to purchase one, Dual Illum is the one I'd go with.

Our new posting rules