Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 29 September 2016, 08:26
Been There Done That

THE Glock 17 - the Role Model?

Picked up yet another Glock 17. Over the last 20 years have owned several of them, along with probably over another dozen various Glock models. Have used the G17 through various training courses and even carried one a few times overseas.

Seems the G17 is kind of the cornerstone of handguns, that which others are measured. Good for carry, good for training, and training others - why I bought yet another one.

Just a good, reliable, proven handgun with a 17 round magazine.

If one can only have one handgun here, abroad, whether for personal defense, home defense or as a duty weapon..the Glock 17 is hard to beat.

$499, what they are going for in my area, is not a bad price at all either. Picked mine up for $530, cause the store had Cerekoted the frame in gunmetal gray, which I thought looked pretty cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29 September 2016, 08:32
Unemployed Stunt Double

If I am just carrying the pistol, I prefer the G19. If I have to shoot it, I prefer the G17.
Old 29 September 2016, 08:39
Been There Done That

Kind of strange, at least in my mind, my brother's agency (a large Federal agency), is switching out their Sig 229s, for the Glock Platform. They are going to be issuing every agent a Glock 26 and a Glock 19. I am sur ether have their reasons, but I think issuing a Glock 26 and a Glock 17 would have been a better choice.

The Glock 19 is also kind of the cornerstone, but I personally don't see that much difference carry wise between the 19 and 17, so I say go with the 17.

Never been much of a fan of the 26, though my brother likes the platform and carries now on a daily basis, and the 26 is very popular with the upper echelons in Cambodia. Put several of thru a course with their 26s. ($3500 for a Glock 26 in Cambodia. )

BTW, anyone try a Tungsten Recoil spring guide rod in their 19 or 17? I usually swap out the plastic rod for a SS one. Hear mixed reviews on the tungsten ones, great for reducing muzzle flip, felt recoil, but may not stand up over time for high round counts. ?

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 29 September 2016, 10:10
Been There Done That

We are issued the Glock 22 and most guys have a 27 for off duty or low profile carry. Since a policy change, I acquired a Glock 19 and find it a perfect all around handgun for work and everyday carry as it is easily concealed and can still hold 15 +1 with the standard mag. At work we have a couple cases of 9mm+P I am working through, so there is not a whole lot of difference between the 22 and the 19 when shooting, at least to me.
Old 29 September 2016, 10:15
Authorized Personnel

Original and still the best. I think the G19 is more universally concealable, but the 17 shoots (IMO) better than all the other models.
Old 29 September 2016, 10:17
Unemployed Stunt Double

One of the best features of the Glock line is the fact that they kept the mags/mag wells consistent through each major caliber (which is something some other manufacturers did not do). LP, I applaud your brother's agency for willingness to issue two of anything to the agents. Shows they think about weapons more than the average agency.
Old 29 September 2016, 10:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0699 View Post
Original and still the best. I think the G19 is more universally concealable, but the 17 shoots (IMO) better than all the other models.
I carry my 19 off duty almost exclusively. I wish the PD went with those instead of the 17. I don't shoot as well with the 17 for some reason.

Most guys on my job who carry the 17 like it. Many have no firearms experience outside of police work so their experiences can be a little limited. We have been bullying people into learning more. Baby steps.

I also own a 26 and am issued a 30 because I am in a plainclothes assignment.
Old 29 September 2016, 10:21
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I applaud your brother's agency for willingness to issue two of anything to the agents. Shows they think about weapons more than the average agency.
That speaks volumes about an agency. I have six weapons that are issued by my agency. In that arena, we are truly blessed for that as I know of multiple agencies that don't provide any at all.
Old 29 September 2016, 10:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
I carry my 19 off duty almost exclusively. I wish the PD went with those instead of the 17. I don't shoot as well with the 17 for some reason.

I also own a 26 and am issued 30 because I am in a plainclothes assignment.
I'm glad Gaston provided us so many options. I carry the 26 almost full-time, either in one of Litepath's IWBs, or on my ankle. It's not my preferred shooter, but I like being able to put it in multiple locations. Hard for me to cover up my a 17 in cargo shorts & t-shirt. I know some people do it, I just don't find it comfortable.
Old 29 September 2016, 10:33
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger275 View Post
We are issued the Glock 22 and most guys have a 27 for off duty or low profile carry. Since a policy change, I acquired a Glock 19 and find it a perfect all around handgun for work and everyday carry as it is easily concealed and can still hold 15 +1 with the standard mag. At work we have a couple cases of 9mm+P I am working through, so there is not a whole lot of difference between the 22 and the 19 when shooting, at least to me.
We carry the 22, which I'm finally warming up to. I bought a 27 and I find it pretty useless. I'm probably getting rid of it and getting a 23.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 29 September 2016, 10:37
Been There Done That

I've been wanting to add a new shotgun and a new handgun to my stash, still leaning towards the KSG on the shotgun but not 100%. I'm about 90% on a new G19 but every once in a while I give the G17 a look.

I also have the G26 and love it, if I'm wearing shorts and t-shirt that cant hide a holster well I can just throw it in a pocket. Of course its Condition 3 when its loose in a pocket but that's better than not having anything at all.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 29 September 2016, 10:57
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
BTW, anyone try a Tungsten Recoil spring guide rod in their 19 or 17? I usually swap out the plastic rod for a SS one. Hear mixed reviews on the tungsten ones, great for reducing muzzle flip, felt recoil, but may not stand up over time for high round counts. ?
Tungsten (W) vs Stainless Steel (SS). The main difference is weight. Some shooters say they can feel the difference...having shot both, I cannot. I would say that either in a G19 is fine to control flip and provided faster follow up shots. The G19 & G17 are generally good and accurate out of the box, so the after market stuff is more preferential to individual tastes. But, I prefer to change only the sights, the guide rod, and install a plug to the grip base.
Old 29 September 2016, 12:54
Been There Done That

Quote:
The Glock 19 is also kind of the cornerstone, but I personally don't see that much difference carry wise between the 19 and 17, so I say go with the 17.
I carry a concealed G19 daily for work. One of my partners carries and conceals a G17. He prints ALL THE TIME at the back of his suit coat. Probably also doesn't help that his choice of holster leaves a little to be desired.
Old 29 September 2016, 14:14
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
We carry the 22, which I'm finally warming up to. I bought a 27 and I find it pretty useless. I'm probably getting rid of it and getting a 23.
Overall I think you'll be happier with the 23. About the only time I bust out the 27 these days is during hot weather when going to baseball games or other family type functions.
Old 29 September 2016, 15:33
Another pool cleaner

I still have my G19 from 1990. Goes bang every time.
Old 29 September 2016, 15:49
Calculating Infinity...

Never owned or shot a G17, but have carried a G19 for 10+ years. Is there really a significant difference, between the 2?
Old 29 September 2016, 16:27
Been There Done That

Quote:

cause the store had Cerekoted the frame in gunmetal gray, which I thought looked pretty cool.
\

Uhh Picks?!?

How do you like the Cerekoted frame, I was thinking of getting mine done in an OD color.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 29 September 2016, 16:33
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
Never owned or shot a G17, but have carried a G19 for 10+ years. Is there really a significant difference, between the 2?
Frame, slide size and capacity. The G19 is slightly smaller than the G17, and carries 2 less in the standard magazine.

https://us.glock.com/products/compar...g2=g19&g3=&g4=
Old 29 September 2016, 16:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
The longer sight radius of the G17 makes it theoretically more accurate. I've got a 17 as well and it's noticeably (but not much) more accurate than my G19.

Also the slightly longer grip of the 17 make things like tac reloads just a hair easier.

It's all a trade-off for the slight edge in concealability the G19 has.
Old 29 September 2016, 16:43
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger275 View Post
Overall I think you'll be happier with the 23. About the only time I bust out the 27 these days is during hot weather when going to baseball games or other family type functions.
Yeah the 27 just seems pointless. If I want to carry some bigger than my 43 and smaller than my 19 I'll carry my 26 with higher mag capacity, slightly easier to conceal and much easier to shoot.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Our new posting rules