SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 20 December 2017, 12:56
Cry havoc

TLR-1 HL

Great light and less expensive than other options. Just remember it's not a flashlight when you're looking for something in the neighborhood! jk
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 11.53.42 AM.png (867.4 KB, 140 views)

Two eyes from the east.
Old 20 December 2017, 16:03
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Why wouldn't you want to see what you are about to shoot?
If you have NODs you don't need a light.
Old 21 December 2017, 00:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
If you have NODs you don't need a light.
It was hard enough getting away with a pair of binoculars when I retired!
Old 23 December 2017, 17:02
Calculating Infinity...

Streamlight TLR-6

Just ordered one. I am pleased with Streamlight products for the fire service. I hope that my TLR-6 lives up to my standards. Any one here have one and can quick review?
Old 26 December 2017, 08:04
Calculating Infinity...

Somehow missed this when I posted about the TLR-6, Jameson and the search function apparently don't go well, together I'll be getting mine in about a week and will report back.
Old 9 January 2018, 15:35
Calculating Infinity...

Thumbs up

I really love this light. At 100 lumens, it is plenty bright and the laser is more visible than I thought it would be, even in daytime conditions. Ergonomically, it is easy to activate, with the push buttons on both sides and aesthetically, it blends right in to the lines of a G19 and looks really good. Ordered a holster from Litepath and will check in at the 2A holster thread, soon.
Old 4 February 2018, 00:35
The Sagacious One

So I break the TLR series of lights and Surefire just cannot stand to sell a pistol light for under $300. Has anyone tried the Ole lights? Chinese and will probably shit the bed but for under $100, I think I may give one a try.

I have also bought a few Inforce lights. They have supposedly switched to a much better polymer, make a compact pistol light and several iterations of rifle lights in various amounts of lumens. I have been swamped with work and HH6's greenhouse, but I intend to get these lights out and shoot with them.

Lightpath, can you mold for the Inforce APLc?

Pictures to come.
Old 4 February 2018, 09:22
Bitter old man.

TFG, have you tried the Glock lights?Very tough and cheap. My TLR1 is still going strong.
Old 4 February 2018, 09:22
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
So I break the TLR series of lights and Surefire just cannot stand to sell a pistol light for under $300. Has anyone tried the Ole lights? Chinese and will probably shit the bed but for under $100, I think I may give one a try.

I have also bought a few Inforce lights. They have supposedly switched to a much better polymer, make a compact pistol light and several iterations of rifle lights in various amounts of lumens. I have been swamped with work and HH6's greenhouse, but I intend to get these lights out and shoot with them.

Lightpath, can you mold for the Inforce APLc?

Pictures to come.
APLc is not an issue. Just need to order it once I know someone is interested. I just bought the APL regular size for a holster week before.

Funny you should mention OLight. . .

The PL-Mini Valkyrie just landed here. I haven't even opened the box since it came yesterday.
$56 after coupon code.

I'm curious/confused because I cannot figure out if they mean the thing will put out 400 Lumens for only one minute before going dead. I don't know the math involved with figuring load @ volts for time/Lumens. (@260mAh Battery) If the Cree XP-L HI does pull 3k mA (per datasheet), then the 1 minute thing could be true?

Plan to check that today. Will report back.
Old 4 February 2018, 17:48
Been There Done That

The spec sheet states a 1 hour 10 minute run time. That's an interesting light.
Old 4 February 2018, 18:13
Navigating

Quote:
While talking with another member the subject of weapon mounted lights came up. My only experience using a weapon mounted light downrange was taping a mini-maglight to my M16 or SAW.

I have folks ask me about using lights and my only advice is not to fall for more Lumens is better. I have found for HD that lower Lums works for me as I do not blind myself on white walls etc. And I always tell folks to flash not to leave their light on as enemies will shoot at a light.

On the subject of IR lights or PEQ lights same issues with walls etc?

I ask that this does not turn into brand X is better etc. My goal here is get some education on tactics/employment of lights for HD.
Iíve taken William Pettyís courses and heís a big believer in bring as much light to the party as possible. I wasnít a believe until I went, and I pride myself in seeing through new flashy ideas (mag flip). Iím certainly not saying his method is the only method. Take a look at his stuff on the YouTube. Excellent instructor.
Old 4 February 2018, 20:29
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Iíve taken William Pettyís courses and heís a big believer in bring as much light to the party as possible. I wasnít a believe until I went, and I pride myself in seeing through new flashy ideas (mag flip). Iím certainly not saying his method is the only method. Take a look at his stuff on the YouTube. Excellent instructor.
I get some time later I'll check out his videos.
Old 5 February 2018, 17:19
BTDT

lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Really?...you paid out of pocket for that?..and, you came away thinking, "Excellent Instructor?" Because...?
Old 5 February 2018, 19:30
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
Really?...you paid out of pocket for that?..and, you came away thinking, "Excellent Instructor?" Because...?
Maybe I forgot to add, IMO?

I didnít paid for either of the classes I attended by Will, my department did, kinda. I say kinda because I took Willís courses at OTOA, which he does pro bono.

He does what I like to see in an instructor. Gives good information, backs up his information by duplicating it and demonstrates his tactics rather then just telling you how to do them, or why they work.

Again, just my opinion.
Old 6 February 2018, 10:00
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
The spec sheet states a 1 hour 10 minute run time. That's an interesting light.
Yeah. It is an interesting light.

Preliminary; it'll run at least that long for certain. I just sat here and putzed with it the day of my post.
But the 400 lumens is what I was mostly referring too.

If it's putting out 400 lumen, it degrades rather quickly if left on. I'd venture about a minute, like the packaging suggests.

Also, looking at their $100 offering, that light puts out 1200 lumen for 1 minute then reduces to 600 lumen. Turn it off and then back on and it comes back to 1200 lumen.

The PL-Mini that I have appears to do something similar, though there is no marked drop in lumens at the 1 minute mark. It just kinda fades and is hard-ish to ascertain.
One click off and back on and you can tell it did fade and now it's back.

Looking over at Cree and the spec sheet for the bulb, and the battery size in the mini I can see why it needs to fade. The capacity of the battery is rather shy/small, but it is there and does work with a simple click on/off.

At first blush the switches were a bit hard to figure out. Both switches on either side work exactly the same, unlike many other lights. A momentary touch and the light comes on and stays on.

Pressing and holding it on allows you to control how long it stays on. It basically stays on as long as you hold it engaged.

I like that so far.
Old 6 February 2018, 10:18
The Sagacious One

Quote:
TFG, have you tried the Glock lights?Very tough and cheap. My TLR1 is still going strong.
I used them for the longest time, still do, I have about 2-3. Not much light, though. A 15 m shot may highlight a target, but makes it hard to see what they have in their hands.
Old 6 February 2018, 12:22
Red Headed Stepchild

I have three Olights, and have been happy with all 3. I have a M3X, which is big but has an excellent throw, and is bright like the sun. It comes with a magnetic gun mount, which actually works OK but is like putting a Mag Light on your shotgun.

The other 2 are the S30 and the R20, both good lights but the R20 is the one my gun since it comes with an included tail cap switch. I've had all of them for a couple of years, and haven't had any significant problems. The one thing I have noticed is that when the charge starts getting low, they don't really seem to dim noticeably, they just stop turning on.

At least to me, the quality isn't noticeably different from surefire, and they weren't 300 bucks and don't go through CR123 batteries every 20 minutes.
Old 8 February 2018, 22:59

I have one on a G27. I originally carried it as a backup working plainclothes (LEO) on my ankle. I still carry it that way in uniform as a reserve LEO. It has always held up. If have any complaint it that I prefer paddle holsters and have yet to find one.
Old 8 February 2018, 23:05

I have had one on a G27 for a few years. Its a good, solid unit; light or laser.
Old 8 February 2018, 23:23
Old Scroll

Threads merged

Search button is your buddy

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Our new posting rules