Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 8 February 2018, 23:25

It would depend upon why you want said gun. Subcompacts and revolvers tend to not have rails. This can be defended by saying that a light/laser adds bulk. Anything G19 (and comparable) I, personally, would want a rail but I like and am used to having a light. I still prefer a five shot snub when just running around but move up to something .......more, and light equipped at times.
Old 10 February 2018, 14:59
incurs freedom

PL-Mini

Here is the PL-Mini on my XD. Nice, sweet small profile akin to the XC-1.

That magnetic Charging thing is awesome!

Old 17 February 2018, 00:27
Overseas Gunplumber

For those that have old school AR's with FSB's and you do not want or cannot use a rail, here is another options for mounting a weapons light. Some departments with tight budgets are going this route.

My buddy who is a former Marine and current LAPD officer designed the light mount. It is currently being made under license by Arisaka Defense of North Carolina-https://arisakadefense.com/

It puts the light in front of the FSB at 12 0'clock which minimizes barrel shadowing and allows for ambidextrous use. Pictured is the Streamlight TLR-1 HL with pressure switch. I had to make a slight modification to the switch in order for it to seat onto the mount. It was very simple and took about 20 seconds.

When used in conjunction with the Magpul MOE SL handguards it is absolutely solid. I was able to mount the switch at the top of the handguards by making two small pilot holes and using the supplied screws.

You can also use Surefire X300 series lights, but not the XT07 pressure switch due to the switches design. I have two of those in use with this set up, and it functions very well.

20180122_000059 (Medium).jpg

20180121_235536 (Medium).jpg

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 17 February 2018, 12:21
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
APLc is not an issue. Just need to order it once I know someone is interested. I just bought the APL regular size for a holster week before.

Funny you should mention OLight. . .

The PL-Mini Valkyrie just landed here. I haven't even opened the box since it came yesterday.
$56 after coupon code.

I'm curious/confused because I cannot figure out if they mean the thing will put out 400 Lumens for only one minute before going dead. I don't know the math involved with figuring load @ volts for time/Lumens. (@260mAh Battery) If the Cree XP-L HI does pull 3k mA (per datasheet), then the 1 minute thing could be true?

Plan to check that today. Will report back.
So this dynamic of high medium, low, flash etc all adds to the training requirement and likelihood of failure. One really nice thing about the Glock Light and the mainstream Surefires is the On or off. These settings, while they may be valuable to a small percentage, add confusion to both the training and the fight. An example of their utility might show the following......

My house is 100 + years old, the room are brightly painted and small with several mirrors. When I hit that X300 ultra on button, its like the last fight scene from John Wick 2. So I use a Glock Light on the nightstand pistol. Now, Fast Forward to an environment where I am outside and have at least a 400 meter shot in all directions. The X 300 Ultra is King. This takes training and a moderately safe environment to change settings. The light should also have a memory, so if you set it to medium, it gives you that light every time you turn it on until its reset. One thing you can do to limit the flagging of friendlies is to flash the light UP and not OUT. Most houses have white or light colored ceilings and a quick flash up lights the room evenly. Yes it illuminates you, but so does flashing out. As with flashing out, move back behind cover prior to firing.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 17 February 2018 at 13:33.
Old 17 February 2018, 13:12
Animal Tamer

I love the X300 Ultra and bought them for my guys. We use them daily clearing houses. They are reliable and bright as hell.
Old 17 February 2018, 14:21
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
I love the X300 Ultra and bought them for my guys. We use them daily clearing houses. They are reliable and bright as hell.
I would think your guys make good use of them. Just try going in a white bathroom and hit that switch. Its a bit of a wash out. I do like them and have them on my Brokos Belt G21 G4 and a Kimber TLE II RL (A bronze one)
Old 18 February 2018, 05:35
Overseas Gunplumber

I have 4 of them in use. And I just picked up the new Sure XH35 which of course won't arrive until after I leave for OKC.

Looking forward to that thing. It's bright setting is 1000 lumens and allows for a low 300 lumens as well. There is also a switch for strobe for those that think they need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 18 February 2018, 06:01
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgunz View Post
I have 4 of them in use. And I just picked up the new Sure XH35 which of course won't arrive until after I leave for OKC.

Looking forward to that thing. It's bright setting is 1000 lumens and allows for a low 300 lumens as well. There is also a switch for strobe for those that think they need it.
I havenít pulled the trigger on the XH35 yet, Iím really researching it tho. The X300s have been my go to pistol light for my uses. The Surefire batteries, though a little more work great in cold weather as well.

Our new posting rules