Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 22 April 2017, 11:18
Old Scroll

.458 SOCOM

Has anybody built one before?

Had hands-on experience?

I'm thinking (perhaps wrongly) that an AR upper that shoots a massively huge bullet at slow speeds, kinda like a 45/70 Gov't, and which requires no special parts other than the barrel and bolt, has gotta be a pretty nice thing to have. Hell, even GI mags will work, they go single stack rather than double, but a center-feed mag follower is a possibility.

If it were to go pig or deer hunting, I'd not expect it to have to shoot more than about 150 yards, max, so the rainbow trajectory wouldn't be an issue.

Here's a site that carries a full line of .458 parts and even a few complete uppers. I'd never heard of Tromix until this AM when I started poking about for big-bore ARs, so I can offer no opinion on quality or reputation.

Video of the .458 SOCOM shooting through a bone-in ham and a block of ballistic gel. Note that the vid starts at 7.20 to avoid the start-up nonsense.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Last edited by B 2/75; 22 April 2017 at 11:41.
Old 22 April 2017, 12:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Has anybody built one before?

Had hands-on experience?

I'm thinking (perhaps wrongly) that an AR upper that shoots a massively huge bullet at slow speeds, kinda like a 45/70 Gov't, and which requires no special parts other than the barrel and bolt, has gotta be a pretty nice thing to have. Hell, even GI mags will work, they go single stack rather than double, but a center-feed mag follower is a possibility.

If it were to go pig or deer hunting, I'd not expect it to have to shoot more than about 150 yards, max, so the rainbow trajectory wouldn't be an issue.

Here's a site that carries a full line of .458 parts and even a few complete uppers. I'd never heard of Tromix until this AM when I started poking about for big-bore ARs, so I can offer no opinion on quality or reputation.

Video of the .458 SOCOM shooting through a bone-in ham and a block of ballistic gel. Note that the vid starts at 7.20 to avoid the start-up nonsense.
What amazes me is that here in Indiana the .458 Socom (in an AR platform( is legal for hunting deer, while 45-70 (lever actions and single actions, usually) is not.

I do like the .458 Socom. We had one on my team way back when, the premise being to use it to stop vehicles. Though we never put it to the test.

But, I have played around with the idea of getting a .458 Socom upper for my AR, since I can use it for hunting now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 22 April 2017, 13:09
Six Minutes!

I have a RRA upper in 458SC. It has been functionally flawless... However I probably only have 200 rounds through it.

My load is 500gr Hornady RN going about 1350 fps. Kicks about like a 20Ga shotgun, so I keep a standard A2 style stock on the lower.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —
Old 22 April 2017, 13:21
Confirmed User

Tromix or Wilson Combat barrels or uppers are the way to go. Teppo

I have the Rock River, did a group buy with a few friends. Of 4 RRA uppers, 1 ran flawlessly. The other three required polishing of the chamber and feed ramp to feed and extract.

I use mine on a lower that I put together for a .223, and swap calibers by swapping uppers. Simple.

Mine is a pig gun, with a 1-4x Vortex Viper PST. From a bench, I'm getting about 1.5" groups with 300 gr Barnes TTSX at 100 yards.

The TTSX puts a hurt on hogs. The biggest I have taken with it is 264 lbs. he flipped onto his side, DRT.

Pmags don't feed well, GI mags do best with a slight half moon cut out on the front, Lancer AWMs work great as is. You can get center feed followers, but I haven't and haven't had any issues.

It's a lot of fun, I would recommend it!

More information than you want is available here: http://teppojutsu.com/458FAQ.htm#_Wh...Was_it_Tromix_
Old 22 April 2017, 13:48
Corpsman Up!

We have one, wife LOVES it. Like throwing a big toe at 'yotes at 100yds. HUGE HOLES. I like using .45 pistol suppressor, multi-use is great.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 23 October 2017, 12:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
What amazes me is that here in Indiana the .458 Socom (in an AR platform( is legal for hunting deer, while 45-70 (lever actions and single actions, usually) is not.

I do like the .458 Socom. We had one on my team way back when, the premise being to use it to stop vehicles. Though we never put it to the test.

But, I have played around with the idea of getting a .458 Socom upper for my AR, since I can use it for hunting now.

I just ordered a RRA 458 upper for deer here in Indiana. I am looking forward to it. I'd rather use a big bore AR than shotgun.
Old 23 October 2017, 12:55
Been There Done That

Nice!

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 23 October 2017, 14:38
Confirmed User

I saw one at the range the other day - the guy loves it. His only comment is that ammo is very expensive if you don't reload.
Old 23 October 2017, 15:04
Authorized Personnel

Mine was awesome. I had Marty build me a custom upper before he stopped building commercially.

I've got an upper build that I'm working on now, just need a barrel. Been back-and-forth on if I want to build another 458.

BTW, I learned to hand load with the 458. 250 rounds using a Lee Hand Press. :O
Old 23 October 2017, 15:05
Old Scroll

Not something you just go out and blow through 10 mags worth... like some folks I know, like myself... *whistles softly and kicks a pebble while walking away...*

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 23 October 2017, 15:09
άber Equus Asinus

Its about $40 a box for the "cheap" stuff.. up to $65 a box for some of the "good" stuff..

thats the main reason I havent built a .458 socom upper.. redonkulous cost to feed that thing... otherwise I would probably already own one..
Old 23 October 2017, 15:22
Authorized Personnel

I'd also add that the Wilson barrel is made from a reversed engineered reamer and not licensed from Marty. Bad blood in the community on how that went down.
Old 23 October 2017, 15:25
Authorized Personnel

458 SOCOM Forum...
http://458socomforums.com/

Instructions on registering...
http://458socomforums.com/index.php?topic=1529.0
Old 23 October 2017, 18:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsapper View Post
I'd also add that the Wilson barrel is made from a reversed engineered reamer and not licensed from Marty. Bad blood in the community on how that went down.
Any issues with RRA?

I already handload so will roll my own. Looking at the 325gr Hornady bullets. I need to pick out a slower powder that will work well with a 16" barrel.
Old 23 October 2017, 19:31
Authorized Personnel

Nope. They were the first ones to license it and Marty & Tony worked closely with them to get their stuff working right. Probably the best bang for the buck out there, that runs right, right off the shelf.
Old 23 October 2017, 20:13
Confirmed User

Good to know. I just ordered this upper: LINK
Old 23 October 2017, 20:21
Authorized Personnel

I think this would be a cool gun, but from a practical standpoint what you're doing is going around the horn to get the same performance you would get with a shotgun slug.
Old 23 October 2017, 20:22
Authorized Personnel

Yeah, but which one is more sexy?
Old 23 October 2017, 20:24
Authorized Personnel

Oh, no doubt, style points in effect, but a good 870 with a slug barrel is 300 bucks. I'm just being a wet blanket cause I don't have one.
Old 23 October 2017, 21:46
Been There Done That

458 is on my short list

anyone have any comments on these

https://www.cmmginc.com/product/rifl...458-socom-sbn/

Our new posting rules