SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 5 February 2018, 17:12
BTDT

9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
It shoots grown up ammo.
...Hahaha: well, "sharky" will lace you up, w/ 147gr Hps
Old 5 February 2018, 17:17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
I have an article from a ER Doc that talks about people surviving 9mm wounds to the torso, but cites the effectiveness of larger bore pistol calibers; 10mm being mentioned by name.
?? I'm curious where there is a study on the effectiveness of 10mm on human beings that an ER Dr could cite?

How many people have actually been fatality shot with 10mm? Not many from what I can tell.
Old 5 February 2018, 18:11
Navigating

Silverbullet,

It was on Austere Medical Management - Callidus Collective Facebook page. I do not have Facebook anymore, but if you do it’s there. It doesn’t just talk about the 10mm, it talks about large bore pistol calibers in general; it just mentions the 10mm specifically and the 454. If you do have Facebook, it’s an interesting page. Sometimes pretty gruesome, but it talks about GSW, knife and other strange wounds seen in the ER.

I understand that 10mm is offen the choice of bear hunting guides for back up weapons. Mostly using 200gr cast bullets. Seems like a good idea to me, the Glock 20 and Glock 40 both hold 15.
Old 5 February 2018, 22:00
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
?? I'm curious where there is a study on the effectiveness of 10mm on human beings that an ER Dr could cite? How many people have actually been fatality shot with 10mm? Not many from what I can tell.
I believe Dr. Sydney Vail wrote the article but I canít find it. I don't think Iíve ever found a study on 10mm and its effectiveness on humans.
Old 5 February 2018, 22:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Seems pretty tough. Only issue so far is chambering a round. I less than 30 rounds through mine and it's all still a little stiff.
Does the round chambering issue get better with use? I have noticed the same thing, especially if the bolt is forward and the magazine is inserted. I have only run about 300rds through mine, and I have not broken in the 4.5in barrel that I bought. The 8in barrel that it came with is headed to have the integral suppressor work done next week.
Old 5 February 2018, 23:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
I understand that 10mm is offen the choice of bear hunting guides for back up weapons. Mostly using 200gr cast bullets. Seems like a good idea to me, the Glock 20 and Glock 40 both hold 15.
Oh, boy. Here we go. The recipe is shot placement, shot placement, shot placement with a sprinkle of penetration i.e. hard cast for dangerous game.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

The round of choice for defense against brown bears is 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs btw. Modern 9mm bullets work just fine on humans. If you like 10mm then cool, it's a neat round but to infer that 9mm is ineffective then I think that you're barking up the wrong tree. A CNS shot is lights out.
Old 5 February 2018, 23:33
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
Oh, boy. Here we go. The recipe is shot placement, shot placement, shot placement with a sprinkle of penetration i.e. hard cast for dangerous game.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

The round of choice for defense against brown bears is 12 gauge with Brenneke slugs btw. Modern 9mm bullets work just fine on humans. If you like 10mm then cool, it's a neat round but to infer that 9mm is ineffective then I think that you're barking up the wrong tree. A CNS shot is lights out.
I never said I had anything wrong with the 9mm, did I? Iíve read articles that say 45-70 is good for the same reason.

My duty back up is a 26, I can use my 17 magazines in it.

Just a 10mm Fanboy. I told Silverbullet about an article I cited and wanted to make sure I got the information I used to him.
Old 5 February 2018, 23:44
Been There Done That

"I have an article from a ER Doc that talks about people surviving 9mm wounds to the torso, but cites the effectiveness of larger bore pistol calibers; 10mm being mentioned by name."

Maybe I'm just reading this wrong but it seems pretty clear that you're concerned about someone surviving a shot from a 9mm. Shut down the CNS through trauma or starve it for oxygen. Problem solved.
Old 5 February 2018, 23:51
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Does the round chambering issue get better with use? I have noticed the same thing, especially if the bolt is forward and the magazine is inserted. I have only run about 300rds through mine, and I have not broken in the 4.5in barrel that I bought. The 8in barrel that it came with is headed to have the integral suppressor work done next week.
It does get better. I've also down loaded the mags to 27/28 roads.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 5 February 2018, 23:52
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
It was on Austere Medical Management - Callidus Collective Facebook page. I do not have Facebook anymore, but if you do it’s there. It doesn’t just talk about the 10mm, it talks about large bore pistol calibers in general; it just mentions the 10mm specifically and the 454. If you do have Facebook, it’s an interesting page. Sometimes pretty gruesome, but it talks about GSW, knife and other strange wounds seen in the ER.

Quote:
I never said I had anything wrong with the 9mm, did I? I’ve read articles that say 45-70 is good for the same reason.

My duty back up is a 26, I can use my 17 magazines in it.

Just a 10mm Fanboy. I told Silverbullet about an article I cited and wanted to make sure I got the information I used to him.
You did not cite any article or study. It was a FB post.

Dr. Vail has maintained that shot placement, NOT caliber is crucial for stopping power.

I've worked more than my share of GSW's. I've had deaths from .22LR and ambulatory patient's with 30-06.

Let's not derail this thread.
Old 5 February 2018, 23:54
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
"I have an article from a ER Doc that talks about people surviving 9mm wounds to the torso, but cites the effectiveness of larger bore pistol calibers; 10mm being mentioned by name."

Maybe I'm just reading this wrong but it seems pretty clear that you're concerned about someone surviving a shot from a 9mm. Shut down the CNS through trauma or starve it for oxygen. Problem solved.
I was getting a "10mm better than 9mm" vibe too.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 5 February 2018, 23:54
Navigating

Quote:

No, not concerned about it. Just citing what a Doctor wrote, itís not my opinion. Itís a doctorís opinion, which makes it hold water to me. I have been very impressed with how effective our 9mm HST has worked.

Iím really not trying to get in an argument, or steal attention away from the nice SIG MPX being shown off.
Old 5 February 2018, 23:59
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Dr. Vail has maintained that shot placement, NOT caliber is crucial for stopping power.
I literally said that at the beginning thread.
Old 6 February 2018, 07:33
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
It does get better. I've also down loaded the mags to 27/28 roads.
Roads= rounds

I love having the flu

Old 6 February 2018, 10:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Iím really not trying to get in an argument,

Its funny you post this because as I'm reading your previous posts I'm thinking, "Are you trying to get into an argument? Because this is how you get into an argument."

Maybe you should just stop now.

So back to the SIG, so if you guys saw my other post in the .308 thread I'm looking to replace my cheap M14 but this thread keeps poping up and has me thinking maybe instead of an AR-10 maybe I should look at one of these. Looks like its a blast to shoot, ammo is cheaper and I already have the ammo because of my Glocks.

Thoughts?

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 6 February 2018, 10:15
Been There Done That

Obviously the right answer is to buy both, Joker.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 6 February 2018, 10:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
Obviously the right answer is to buy both, Joker.
I almost put in the post with two in college both is not an option right now

Plus if I can find one of those Shockwaves at the gun show under $400 I'll probably grab that.

One nut in the ground!

Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.
Old 6 February 2018, 10:29
Bitter old man.

How is the QC? As we know SIG's quality has not been the best.
Old 6 February 2018, 11:31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
How is the QC? As we know SIG's quality has not been the best.
I have about 500 through mine and not one single issue or stoppage so far, with no cleaning.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 6 February 2018, 11:33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
It shoots grown up ammo.

Okay Grampa.....Tell us bout the good ol days when you transitioned to the brand new 1911s!
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top

Our new posting rules