SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 16 November 2017, 18:21
Been There Done That

The 30-30

Marlin 30-30 all set up for this weekend. Now that 30-30 is allowed for Deer in Indiana, give this rifle have had for twenty years a go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0334.jpg (29.9 KB, 337 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 16 November 2017, 18:24
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
Now that 30-30 is allowed for Deer in Indiana
Were you guys shotgun only or something?

More than adequate for a deer rifle. If I had to bet I'd say the Marlin 336 and Winchester 94 have accounted for more dead deer than all other rifles combined.
Old 16 November 2017, 18:31
Been There Done That

Yes, in basic terms, until last year only shotgun slugs or muzzle loaders. Well few years before they started allowing pistol calibers ( .44 mag, .357, few others). But last year opened up the state for .30 cal rifle cartridges if hunting on private land.

Last 15 years been using my Thompson center encore .50 cal muzzle loader for both firearms and muzzle loader seasons.

Old 16 November 2017, 18:32
Been There Done That

Have some Remington 170 gr. core locks.

Old 16 November 2017, 18:34
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post

More than adequate for a deer rifle. If I had to bet I'd say the Marlin 336 and Winchester 94 have accounted for more dead deer than all other rifles combined.
I was going to say the same thing Gsniper until I read your post.
Great close /mid range deer rifle. I prefer to carry my Win. 94 carbine still hunting. It has accounted for many a whitetail. Some on the run that have jumped off beds at my feet. It comes up quick and is a great brush round. I prefer the open sights on my little carbine but my shots are very close. Go get em leopardprey.
Old 16 November 2017, 18:56
Unemployed Stunt Double

What kind of optics mount is that?
Old 16 November 2017, 19:00
Been There Done That

XS sights scout scope mount. Leupold 2.5x scout scope.

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8282

Old 16 November 2017, 19:12
Unemployed Stunt Double

Thanks...I have three "JM" Marlin leverguns (in .44 Mag, .35 Rem, and .45-70)...I want a set-up like that on my .45-70.
Old 16 November 2017, 19:42
Been There Done That

I use mine when I have to play dog. Come up easy and is just the right length when pushing through thick brush. Works a lot better on moving the briers out of the way instead of my legs. Also have the 44 and keep CCI shot shell in it for snakes.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 16 November 2017, 19:44

That's really cool. Coincidentally, my old man just inherited a 30-30 from his old police captain that just passed away a few days ago.
Old 16 November 2017, 20:19
Been There Done That

Good looking piece LP. Glad your state came to their senses. A great venison getter. I have had several over the years and put down many deer with one. Most didn't go very far or dropped immediately.

On the 170gr bullets, the 30/30 isn't a ballistic powerhouse on paper but it doesn't matter. The difference between the 150 and 170 gr bullets is really very little. I think you lose 100 fps velocity at 100 yds with the 170 gr. Given the little change I opt for the heavier bullet as well.

Hornady makes a 160gr in its Lever Revolution 30/30 ammo. I have some but haven't made a kill with one yet.

Our 2 wk buck only season opens Monday.

Good Luck.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 17 November 2017, 07:30
A/1/75

16th Christmas I got a 30-30 M336. Love that gun

Charlie
Old 17 November 2017, 08:03
Confirmed User

I've hunted with my 30-30 Marlin for 32 years and it has never let me down. Here in the mountains it is a great deer rifle, the only time I don't use it is when I am hunting in some areas where there is not much foliage or brush and I use my 25-06. I' had good luck with the 25-06 reaching out and putting them down at a distance shooting from one ridge to the nest. My Marlin was my dads and he bought it in 64 and it has the gold trigger. I need to look up the model number. The sling on it is leather and my grandfather had used it in WWII on his rifle. If I have time next weekend I get picks.
Old 17 November 2017, 08:33
Bitter old man.

Nice rifle LP, still have your .375 H&H?
Old 17 November 2017, 08:47
Been There Done That

No, I sold that one well over a year ago. No need for it. Can't hunt with it in Indiana and probably a long time before I go back to Africa hunting again. My next big bore purchase will be Henry 45-70 lever action.

Old 17 November 2017, 09:07
Confirmed User

That Marlin is really nice. I've been toying with getting a lever gun. Leaning toward a Winchester 94 or a Henry in .357.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Now that 30-30 is allowed for Deer in Indiana,
We were invited to hunt on private land last year, so I set up a scope on my wife's .30 Carbine with JSP hand loads which my son used to take a doe.

Quote:
Indiana laws are pretty crewy with cartridges permitted. It started as an attempt to permit pistol caliber rifles like .357 or .44 but they defined the parameters of the bullet which led some interesting wildcat cartridges like the .358 Hoosier. Once the wildcats started being developed, more calibers were added to the approved list, like the 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM, 480 Rufer, etc.

Then, last year, certain rifle cartridges in the 243 (6mm) and 30 families were approved for private land hunting only.

Quote:
My next big bore purchase will be Henry 45-70 lever action.
A friend of mine has one. It is a hoot to shoot... a few times...
Old 17 November 2017, 09:12
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
Then, last year, certain rifle cartridges in the 243 (6mm) and 30 families were approved for private land hunting only
I know better, but I gotta ask. Why only certain rifle calibers? The range fan for a 6mm is just as large as say a 30.06.

Down here in the south we get a rather large kick out of how you guys run your hunting laws up there.
Old 17 November 2017, 09:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
I know better, but I gotta ask. Why only certain rifle calibers?
Who knows? Legislators that don't understand how rifles work making rules.

A perfect example is that you may use any caliber to hunt squirrels. Yes, any. You may hunt squirrels with .17 or .22 but also 30-06 or even .50. Seriously. Of course no one does but hte rules literally read as "any equipment"...

It seems that, since much of the state is flat, they intended to restrict high power rifles to prevent over travel. In spite of hte fact there is little evidence from similar states that permit rifle hunting of such accidents. Slowly, rational and realistic minds are prevailing.

Quote:
The range fan for a 6mm is just as large as say a 30.06.
It was weird for them to intially permit 6mm and 30 only and skipping the 7mm. I have no idea what drove that.

Quote:
Down here in the south we get a rather large kick out of how you guys run your hunting laws up there.
Old 17 November 2017, 09:29
Shakin' the bush Boss

My state has one slightly weird law like that. For deer our rifles have to be .243 or larger. However, we can hunt with pistol calibers, to include black powder pistols. Every year we have an opportunity to send in what we would like to see on proposed hunting law changes. I sent in a very detailed report, with ballistic information on the calibers, showing that rifles such as the .223 were much more effective deer cartridges than the pistol caliber stuff. Crickets.
Old 17 November 2017, 10:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
I know better, but I gotta ask. Why only certain rifle calibers? The range fan for a 6mm is just as large as say a 30.06.

That is the same question many of us here in Indiana ask. And they did not even bother consulting with DNR biologist or conservation officers for their input on calibers. Makes no sense at all, that I can hunt now with an ak47, but still cannot use a 45-70 lever action.

Our new posting rules