SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 17 November 2017, 11:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
16th Christmas I got a 30-30 M336. Love that gun
Same here, 35 Rem. model 336 This year I'm using a Tikka I set up for a guy who didn't like it. 25-06 and it's a smoker...I just gotta get my head screwed back on and then hit the woods...
Old 17 November 2017, 11:39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
My state has one slightly weird law like that. For deer our rifles have to be .243 or larger. However, we can hunt with pistol calibers, to include black powder pistols. Every year we have an opportunity to send in what we would like to see on proposed hunting law changes. I sent in a very detailed report, with ballistic information on the calibers, showing that rifles such as the .223 were much more effective deer cartridges than the pistol caliber stuff. Crickets.
They put you on the list after that.
Old 17 November 2017, 12:16
Shakin' the bush Boss

Yeah, no shit. As if I wasn't already on enough lists. Now you're on the list cause you've conversed with me.
Old 21 November 2017, 23:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Same here, 35 Rem. model 336 This year I'm using a Tikka I set up for a guy who didn't like it. 25-06 and it's a smoker...I just gotta get my head screwed back on and then hit the woods...
Ironically, I have been looking at a Tikka 25/06. You have any feedback on it? Kill any whitetail with it. I'm tossed up between the 25/06 or a 7mm Mauser for next year.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 22 November 2017, 01:05
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Ironically, I have been looking at a Tikka 25/06. You have any feedback on it? Kill any whitetail with it. I'm tossed up between the 25/06 or a 7mm Mauser for next year.
7x57. Classic whitetail cartridge. One of my bucket list guns is a 7x57 with a Mannlicher/international stock. Sucks being lefty.

Last edited by gavin; 22 November 2017 at 01:12.
Old 22 November 2017, 14:15
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
That's really cool. Coincidentally, my old man just inherited a 30-30 from his old police captain that just passed away a few days ago.
We have a Winchester 30-30 commemorative rifle for the MO State Police at the store.

We also have a Winchester 94 with a laminated stock that is very cool.
Old 22 November 2017, 14:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
7x57. Classic whitetail cartridge. One of my bucket list guns is a 7x57 with a Mannlicher/international stock. Sucks being lefty.
Like a Ruger #1 set up like that......been on my list for long time as well.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/70322/redirect

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 22 November 2017, 17:11
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Like a Ruger #1 set up like that......been on my list for long time as well.
I've been eyeing a #1, also...such a purty rifle, especially with the international stock. Almost paid $1250 for one last week...almost...then I walked away...
Old 22 November 2017, 19:28
Been There Done That

I bought my adult son a 94 Winchester 100 yr Commerative rifle for his birthday in October.

Killed his first buck with it this morning!

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 22 November 2017, 20:25
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Nice!!!!

Old 7 February 2018, 16:07
Darwin Award Presenter

Learned to hunt in the mountains of PA with a model 94. Great for all the aforementioned reasons. Actually in the market for one, as the other one was sold.
Old 7 February 2018, 22:41
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
Im in the middle of building a 7x57 on a old small ring mauser action and have been looking at the mannlicher stock made by these guys for it: http://walnutgrovegunstocks.com/mauser-9496-4

Not sure of they can (or would) build a lefty.. but they have a pretty decent reputation for building a quality, nice looking stock..

When its all said and done Im going to have probably $800-$900 in it if I end up going with a Walnut Grove gunstock (could bring that down into the $650-$700 range if I went with something from boyds gunstocks).. not exactly cheap.. but not really that much more than a mid grade winchester 70 or rem 700.. and Ill end up with a custom rifle that is much nicer than what I could have bought off the shelf from win/rem/ruger, etc..

One of these days Im going to rescind myself to true rifle snobbery and refuse to refer to the cartridge as 7x57 or 7mm Mauser.. and only allow myself to call it "my .275 Rigby"
Old 8 February 2018, 00:12
Red Headed Stepchild

Missed this thread the first time around. Love me some lever actions, still have my Model 94 .30-30, first deer rifle, still in fantastic condition.

Been back and forth over the years about how to scope it, and in fact was looking at it again the other day. How do you like your scope setup Gavin? I assume the top ejection is accounted for with your setup. Can't tell from the picture, did you throw a hammer extender on it?
Old 8 February 2018, 00:42
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
Not sure of they can (or would) build a lefty.. but they have a pretty decent reputation for building a quality, nice looking stock...
If they can, I'll be on that like TFG on a Bren 10 that's been re-barrelled in .41 AE...

Quote:
One of these days Im going to rescind myself to true rifle snobbery and refuse to refer to the cartridge as 7x57 or 7mm Mauser.. and only allow myself to call it "my .275 Rigby"
As long as you only refer to .300 H&H Mag as "the Thousand-Yard Caliber."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post

Been back and forth over the years about how to scope it, and in fact was looking at it again the other day. How do you like your scope setup Gavin? I assume the top ejection is accounted for with your setup. Can't tell from the picture, did you throw a hammer extender on it?
I only wish that was mine...it's LPs. I don't run scope on my leverguns generally. I do receiver sights, and take the leaf sights off, and fill the dove-tail with Ranger Point Precision's fillers.
Old 8 February 2018, 00:48
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
I only wish that was mine...it's LPs. I don't run scope on my leverguns generally.
Ah shit, sorry. You guys all look alike to me

I generally haven't either, but was toying with the idea of a scope option for caribou up here. I'll check out the RPP stuff too, thanks.
Old 8 February 2018, 01:04
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Ah shit, sorry. You guys all look alike to me

I generally haven't either, but was toying with the idea of a scope option for caribou up here. I'll check out the RPP stuff too, thanks.
I used to have a fixed 4x scope on my 336 in .35 Rem, had the rings that let me use the irons beneath the scope. Used that for deer and bear hunting in AK. If I was going to mount a scope on a levergun now, it would be a forward scout-type setup
Old 8 February 2018, 09:40
Another pool cleaner

Damn, I need to shoot my 30-30 more.
Old 8 February 2018, 12:27
Confirmed User

Only 30-30 I ever had was a Thompson Contender pistol; when I learned about working up my own loads (never fired a factory rifle load). Didn't kill anything with it, but knocked some steel animals down.

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880
Old 8 February 2018, 13:44
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Damn, I need to shoot my 30-30 more.
Yes you do. Take your boys out and get them father certified on it.

Old 8 February 2018, 19:45
BTDT

Quote:
As long as you only refer to .300 H&H Mag as "the Thousand-Yard Caliber."
We should rename the thread "The 7.62x51R".

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.

Our new posting rules