Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 26 January 2018, 17:24
BTDT

I like showing up to a qual and crushing it. I usually stand next to the cops with full sleeve tattoo's and all sorts of shit hanging off of their gunbelts. But sometimes, I get fronted out by someone who knows me.
Old 26 January 2018, 17:39
Bitter old man.

I do believe folks fall for marketing on you tube. Costa uses this so it must be good etc.

I am very careful when asked for advice. Usually I will say a certain optic works better for me. That doesn't mean it will work for you. Same with weapons I won't bash someones choice if they come to me for help. I'll get them hitting the target. Or in the case of a first purchase let them try some out of my collection or rent etc.
Old 26 January 2018, 17:47
Old Scroll

I'll show up at the local tactical hillbilly poser range, knock out a few quick multiple mag strings of iron sight offhand at the longest range the facility offers, then doing a quick double three shot group 25 meter target to make one three-click adjustment, and then gone.

Down side is that a few of them are starting to recognize me...

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 26 January 2018, 18:07
Confirmed User

This touches upon my thread about selling off the guns I don't shoot or need. It's not that I don't like them but that I want to focus on really mastering the core weapons that I may actually need.
Naturally, I bought an expensive precision rifle and a Tavor since I wrote that post - but... I had good intentions. Soon I will sell off some of the ones I never shoot. I really will...
Old 26 January 2018, 18:13
Administrator

Dibs!
Old 26 January 2018, 18:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
This touches upon my thread about selling off the guns I don't shoot or need. It's not that I don't like them but that I want to focus on really mastering the core weapons that I may actually need.
Naturally, I bought an expensive precision rifle and a Tavor since I wrote that post - but... I had good intentions. Soon I will sell off some of the ones I never shoot. I really will...
How you liking the Tavor? BTW, heard some good things today, while giving basic shooting instruction to one of your peers, about a meeting the IGR had this morning concerning homeless veterans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 26 January 2018, 18:26
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Haha, I think when you buy a Lambo or similar supercar (for the first time) the dealers usually make you take a special class on how to drive it because people often wreck the damn things fairly early on because they simply cannot handle all the power. It's an entirely different class of vehicle than what 99% of all people have ever experienced.

At least that's what I read. Probably not going to be something I experience in my life, but who knows.......
They do not. Maybe some dealerships have offered classses. But itís America where having more money than talent is the norm. With all the nannies of the newer cars you have to be far past the line between hard and stupid to wreck them.

The qual I have to pass for work is not impossible, but it ainít easy, and we shoot it with stock pistol sights and a Comp M. Thereís one thing I know that works, trigger corntol and grip. You master that and youíre golden. Of course a really light trigger doesnít hurt
Old 26 January 2018, 20:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
How you liking the Tavor? BTW, heard some good things today, while giving basic shooting instruction to one of your peers, about a meeting the IGR had this morning concerning homeless veterans.
I like the X95. It's very handy. The trigger is improved. I put a picture in the Tavor thread. I need to spend more time with it to really give good feedback.
The IGR supports a lot of veterans programs. It's a good group of people - very dedicated.
I bet they want to recruit you to Training Command!

Last edited by Gunk; 26 January 2018 at 21:12.
Old 26 January 2018, 21:15
Authorized Personnel

When I retired, my wife and SgtMaj conspired to force me to have a retirement ceremony and party. Last time I got truly hammered drunk. Anyway, I pissed of a lot of people in the stands when I gave my speech and told the gathered audience that schools and badges don't make anyone high-speed. I stated the first two steps in being high-speed were 1) trust/faith/integrity, and 2) being good at your MOS. You could have all the fancy entry schools you wanted, but if you couldn't operate a radio once you were on the ground, you weren't much good as an RTO.

At church camp last year, one of the young men showed up in full 100% Multicam with all the fixings (belts, holsters, doo-dads, etc) and an M4-style rifle that had to have $3,000 into it. Assuming he was either LE or military, I asked him who he was with. Much to my surprise, he was a construction electrician, had never been in the military, and had paid retail for everything he had. Didn't shoot well either.
Old 27 January 2018, 02:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Most folks don't need a $3k AR more like a $1k AR and $2k in training. Seems like I'm in the minority with this way of thinking.
I remember Jeremy McGrath during an after-race interview saying, "no one can ride a bike to its full potential." People should start applying that to their decision-making process when buying "tactical" stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18C4V View Post
I like showing up to a qual and crushing it. I usually stand next to the cops with full sleeve tattoo's and all sorts of shit hanging off of their gunbelts. But sometimes, I get fronted out by someone who knows me.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/01/please-dont-shoot-me-father-of-two-begged-police-before-being-sh1/

You mean this ass-hat?
Old 27 January 2018, 08:54
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
I remember Jeremy McGrath during an after-race interview saying, "no one can ride a bike to its full potential." People should start applying that to their decision-making process when buying "tactical" stuff.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/01/please-dont-shoot-me-father-of-two-begged-police-before-being-sh1/

You mean this ass-hat?
256, I know you are LEO and meant well.

I just want to make sure this does not spiral into another bashing thread. But I get what you mean.
Old 27 January 2018, 09:53
Authorized Personnel

I used to work at a place that did open enrollment training stuff. I was always a bit taken aback at some of the high end shit guys would show up with and had no idea how to even use. Sometimes it was fun, sometimes it was frustrating.
Old 27 January 2018, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
256, I know you are LEO and meant well.

I just want to make sure this does not spiral into another bashing thread. But I get what you mean.
Understood.
Old 27 January 2018, 12:54
‹ber Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I used to work at a place that did open enrollment training stuff.
me too...

Quote:
Sometimes it was fun, sometimes it was frustrating.
and a couple of times it was outright dangerous..

I had to shut my range down a couple of different times due to Joe Commando and his 63lbs of tacti-cool gear flagging other students when his $3K AR went tits up and he didn't know how to clear the malfunction.. or when he would get so exhausted wearing his 7 layers of ninja black kit in the West Tennessee August sun that he couldn't think clearly and started committing safety violations, etc..

Buying cool guy shit is easy..

Actually training with it and knowing how to use it... not so much apparently
Old 27 January 2018, 14:03
The atomic zit

Icon5

Wasnít it it Gsniper that suggested a $500 rifle and set a side $2,500 for ammo and training...
Old 27 January 2018, 14:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Wasnít it it Gsniper that suggested a $500 rifle and set a side $2,500 for ammo and training...
Sounds like wise counsel.
Old 27 January 2018, 15:20
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ5326 View Post
Sounds like wise counsel.
He is.
Old 27 January 2018, 15:34
Authorized Personnel

Weapons proficiency can't be "bought". Owning a quality firearm with no training would be like me buying a high end set of golf clubs.
Old 28 January 2018, 09:13
Bitter old man.

Robert Keller tells it like it is. I've said similar things to gear queers and pimp my AR types.

https://youtu.be/gdb3ZugZgtU
Old 28 January 2018, 10:41

IMHO nothing wrong in putting money in a quality pistol, rifle plus a quality optic for example. Better likelyhood of getting more of your money back if switching weapons etc. than if you own the cheapast AR with a Chinese Aimpoint copy.

The caveat here being to seek out professional firearms training to be able to utilize the quality tools you have.

Im not going against the stream here, just want to point out that it might be good that you have reliable gear in the event of ever needing them.

Our new posting rules