SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 28 January 2018, 11:00
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
IMHO nothing wrong in putting money in a quality pistol, rifle plus a quality optic for example. Better likelyhood of getting more of your money back if switching weapons etc. than if you own the cheapast AR with a Chinese Aimpoint copy.

The caveat here being to seek out professional firearms training to be able to utilize the quality tools you have.

Im not going against the stream here, just want to point out that it might be good that you have reliable gear in the event of ever needing them.
Highpoints are quality weapons!!!!

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 28 January 2018, 11:37
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Highpoints are quality weapons!!!!
They are now!

https://youtu.be/KjQk244oW9c
Old 28 January 2018, 14:37
BTDT

Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I have really been noticing this trend lately. A good majority of folks are really caught up in gear will make me a better shooter mentality. I have seen people with an entry level AR with more in accessories than they paid for the rifle.

Example younger friend of mine buys an AR. He ask me for advice on what optics etc. My reply " Buy some mags,ammo and a cleaning kit. Learn the Irons." He gave me look like I killed his puppy. I have also had first time handgun buyers insist they need to send a Glock to SAI etc. instead of shooting it for a while. Try to tell these folks for a novice shooter a stock weapon will serve them well until they figure out what they want.

Most folks don't need a $3k AR more like a $1k AR and $2k in training. Seems like I'm in the minority with this way of thinking.

The part that concerns me is some folks will maybe shoot one mag through a weapon then buy a cheap holster and CCW it. No shit I met a dude who had been carrying his Bersa for six months before he shot it. The POS wouldn't fire one mag without a malfunction.Which he had no clue what to do.

How do we go about combating this mentality? I tells folks tattoos,beards and cool guy stuff doesn't win fights.
I kinda blame the personality cults on you tube for some of this.

I'm sure LE and Mil have some of this mentality also.

Getting like the A-team at the range. Bullets flying nothing getting hit.
I mostly find it humorous; at worst, slightly annoying.

It's all about "adventure/mil sim" firearms training & people are making bank on it. I'm OK w/that; though, sometimes I will poke fun @ the people that are making the $. Like, the dynamic Duo,..couple other people.

Personally, I couldn't do it. You take a look @ the training market & the guys (ie civilians) that pay the $..oh hell no.

Good shooting
Old 28 January 2018, 14:41
Calculating Infinity...

If one were to look at my pistol and M4, they might put me in the category of "Regular Dude w/ Nice Weapons At The Range". Hope they don't think I'm a poser/tool when they see me shoot
Old 28 January 2018, 19:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
If one were to look at my pistol and M4, they might put me in the category of "Regular Dude w/ Nice Weapons At The Range". Hope they don't think I'm a poser/tool when they see me shoot
It doesn't take much time or effort in determining who is real and who the wannabes are!
Old 28 January 2018, 20:55
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Isn't there a saying about being wary of the man with one gun, as he probably knows how to use it???
Old 29 January 2018, 08:48
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
It doesn't take much time or effort in determining who is real and who the wannabes are!
It's all in the mag flip.
Old 30 January 2018, 05:51
BTDT

Mag Flip

..or, the ND

https://youtu.be/z-asnZ-qmiQ

Last edited by glockcqc; 30 January 2018 at 05:53. Reason: attachment
Old 30 January 2018, 13:31
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
I was at an outdoor range and there were two rather portly fellows shooting. One had an AR with more attachments than Sharkys vibrator, and wearing a plate carrier complete with plates. And don't forget the flag baseball hat. Fuckers couldn't hit the target at 25 yards.
I heard Sharky's vibrator accessories were in your OODA loop.

Some of us in this forum have just returned from SHOT Show, and can attest that the obi-wannabe syndrome was everywhere. Even checking into the hotel, I snapped a pic of a dude wearing a shemahg and a MOLLE covered-highspeed-twatwaffle- backpack. The show was filled with guys like this. Tacti-beards, full sleeve tats (new ink) and MOLLE packs were abound, yet many had no clue when discussing applications other than those described on YouTube or "The Facebook".

There were many new small businesses there that seemed to be solutions in search of a problem. For example, new muzzle brakes/flash suppressors. "Oh, you have a machine shop, and make replacement parts for 2002 BMWs as well?...cool". Or the new magnetic enclosure that's quieter than Velcro but starts at $30/ft. The guy tried to convince me that it had rare earth magnets (sigh).
Or, the new GAU styled 5.56 minigun that the precious little booth bunny refused to answer any questions, citing "We can't release that information" or "I can't talk about that". That's OK. I'll just give the guys at Dillon or Crane a call to see what they have to say about patent infringement.

The show demonstrated that there are folks out there that will buy the newest shiny thing, regardless of usefulness.
Old 30 January 2018, 13:37
Shakin' the bush Boss

I did some work in UAE a few years ago and they are the queens of this mentality. My boss called it the shiny penny syndrome. Of course they have basically unlimited money to blow on showy toys, so why not. We were doing sniper stuff with German DSR 1's, brand new, high end shit that was capable of .308 or .338 and they wanted to junk them all to buy the new Cheytac when it was the next big thing. They used to get mad at me when I'd tell them to Cheytac the correct wind on their guns and a lot of their problems would go away.
Old 30 January 2018, 14:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post

Even checking into the hotel, I snapped a pic of a dude wearing a shemahg and a MOLLE covered-highspeed-twatwaffle- backpack.
GPC was at the SHOT show? I did not think he was going this year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 30 January 2018, 15:55
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
the obi-wannabe syndrome

And this whole mentality has been around for ages.

Right after my class graduated from DeVry in '97, a friend went out and spent his hiring bonus on a new car and a Glock. He came to me a few weeks later and said he needed to get a trigger job. We went to the range, and while I didn't do a smiley-face a la Martin Riggs, I was able to to do minute-of-pie-plate at about 50 feet with the first magazine, and I don't generally shoot Glocks well. "Dude, you don't need that kind of trigger work. Spend the money on ammo, and work on your breathing."
Old 30 January 2018, 16:04
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
GPC sighting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1459.jpg (62.7 KB, 190 views)
Old 30 January 2018, 16:09
Administrator

Quote:
I heard Sharky's vibrator accessories were in your OODA loop.

They are too busy in your mouth to fool with his OODA Loop.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 30 January 2018, 16:28
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Hope they don't think I'm a poser/tool when they see me shoot
If people don't like the way I shoot they should stay out of banks!
Old 30 January 2018, 17:52
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
They are too busy in your mouth to fool with his OODA Loop.
ETADIK.
Old 30 January 2018, 18:09
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
GPC sighting
Words of wisdom.

I'm doing the Eastern Euro look like my Avatar.
Old 31 January 2018, 08:35
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I got you the Costa doll you wanted.
Old 31 January 2018, 10:03
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I got you the Costa doll you wanted.
What ever happened to Costa. Did Salient give up on him. Haven't seen an over exaggerated AR "C" grip demo in awhile.
Old 31 January 2018, 15:38
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
If people don't like the way I shoot they should stay out of banks!
Hahaha

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO

Our new posting rules