Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 2 February 2018, 21:47
Animal Tamer

I guess I’m fortunate that I’m still in a position where I never have to use a public range.
Old 3 February 2018, 08:29
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMarshal View Post
I guess I’m fortunate that I’m still in a position where I never have to use a public range.
You should go to one and have a good chuckle.
Wear mismatch camo for shock effect.
Old 3 February 2018, 08:59
Authorized Personnel

I shoot a local IDPA match sometimes. Been seeing this guy for about a year at the matches. Battle beard, tats, kitted out, complete with blood type in about 5 places. Textbook contractor look. I finally ask the guy who he works for. Hardees. Maintenance man.
Old 3 February 2018, 09:44
BTDT

Its the result of the youtube generation. Every other SEAL, Green Beret, Marine CSO, etc. that retires is pimping the next great "gadget" that is going to make you them on their youtube channel, fb live feed, twitter, during their courses, and on and on. Not going to change anytime soon.

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 3 February 2018, 11:42
Confirmed User

The Gear Over Training Mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I shoot a local IDPA match sometimes. Been seeing this guy for about a year at the matches. Battle beard, tats, kitted out, complete with blood type in about 5 places. Textbook contractor look. I finally ask the guy who he works for. Hardees. Maintenance man.
That is hilarious.
Old 3 February 2018, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
Its the result of the youtube generation. Every other SEAL, Green Beret, Marine CSO, etc. that retires is pimping the next great "gadget" that is going to make you them on their youtube channel, fb live feed, twitter, during their courses, and on and on. Not going to change anytime soon.
Well how the fuck else am I supposed to sell my uber-tacticool new ding-a-ling that solves a non-existent problem?
Old 3 February 2018, 12:51
Old Scroll

Like a C grip

I just don't understand these kids and their 'techniques.'

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 3 February 2018, 12:54
Policeman Officer

I shot an IPSC rifle match like five years ago and there was a dude there in full multicam, name tape, high end rifles, 45° offset back up iron, looking like instructor zero. He was holding court with a bunch of guys talking about going to work for Blackwater, after it was no longer called that I believe. Anyway I left before shooting the last stage because it was taking forever, my score shooting iron sights was higher than his and I didn't do particularly well. Poster boy for all the gear and no idea.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 3 February 2018, 12:59
Confirmed User

Sadly, I have also seen the reverse of this, however. For example, some of the "cool kids" get to go to some expensive training.

Later, you mention to the powers that be, we need some additional vehicles, weapons, radios, etc. The reply is, "Um, well we used this years budget already (on sending some people to training that they will never need and never use.)"

Please, please, please don't interpret this as an anti-training rant, because it is not. There simply has to be an appropriate balance of equipment/gear AND training. However, as simple as it sounds, some people and places have a real hard time getting it right.

Most here are familiar with the term "mission creep". That can happen, too, with the guys that are constantly ducking work by going to training.

Here is another example. A guy wants to attend a cool sniper school out of town and expensive. Then someone points out that the mission of the agency would never involve using a sniper rifle. Not to mention that the agency doesn't have sniper rifles!

Another example. Someone wants the special team to attend training for rappelling. Again, there is a cost. Someone points out the agency doesn't own rappelling gear and the likelihood of it ever being needed is slim to none (and slim already left town.)

And, in the interest of fair disclosure, I, too, have been guilty of this. I have attended some counter drug schools, WMD stuff, EMI, National Fire Academy, etc. I knew that there a small chance that I would ever use what I was taught, but I attended anyway. I also, at least partially, buy into the concept that if you can bring back a few things and use them, so be it.

I do also think the concept of networking is HUGE. Working with guys and gals outside of your own agency gives you a chance to talk, compare notes, and learn a lot. Not to "poo poo" folks that are very big into training, BUT sometimes I have learned as much during the coffee break at training as I did the actual class itself!
Old 3 February 2018, 13:01
Another pool cleaner

Guns are icky.
Old 3 February 2018, 13:03
Old Scroll

Like I've always said, start off shooting LOTS of ammo with irons.

Get good at that.

Then you may take a look at optics, not before.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 3 February 2018, 14:03
Policeman Officer

Jim1348, great post and I had thought of saying something similar. What I see far more often as a police officer is both gear and training being inadequate. And there is a ton of value in going to outside training, seeing what other people are doing, having strangers with no ties to your agency see how well you do, etc.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 3 February 2018, 14:19
Navigating

Police Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
Sadly, I have also seen the reverse of this, however. For example, some of the "cool kids" get to go to some expensive training.
I caught a bunch of shit for telling command that spending thousands of dollars to send guys to the National Police Memorial for Police Week was “kinda” a waste. Can we instead spend money on equipment and training to keep dudes alive. Why are we paying to send dudes to do “fitness and Honor Guard” competitions? It’s a waste. Let me be clear, I said this of the general Police occupation. My department doesn’t send anyone down there.

Jim, you’re post is spot on. I really liked the sniper portion of it.
Old 3 February 2018, 16:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
...Can we instead spend money on equipment and training to keep dudes alive...
Well, there you go, making sense again. You will never go far in government with an attitude like that!

Yes, some guys like stuff with a very high CDI Factor. (Chicks dig it.)

Anyway, 256 and Massgrunt, thank you for the replies. It is good to see that others see things the same way.
Old 3 February 2018, 17:02
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
Guns are icky.
Thanks for the laugh.
Old 3 February 2018, 17:06
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Like I've always said, start off shooting LOTS of ammo with irons.

Get good at that.

Then you may take a look at optics, not before.
I take the optics off and shoot irons all the time. I find it troubling novice handgunners are installing red dots before they really learn with irons.
Old 3 February 2018, 18:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Thanks for the laugh.
Well he is one of those Ivy leaguers from the NorthEast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 3 February 2018, 18:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I take the optics off and shoot irons all the time. I find it troubling novice handgunners are installing red dots before they really learn with irons.
Sigh.....must be nice to still be under 40.

Old 3 February 2018, 18:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Sigh.....must be nice to still be under 40.
Right? I can still shoot a rear peep, but not as tight or fast as an optic. Rear leaf? Can’t see ‘em
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 3 February 2018, 18:51
Been There Done That

I am getting to the point of getting rid of the ARs and AUGs and just going with a scatter gun with 00 buckshot.

Our new posting rules