SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 9 August 2019, 20:46
CAVmedic CAVmedic is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,505
I'm putting this here rather than start another thread. So those who use the ring app are apparently giving a boost to facial recognition and local PD without maybe even knowing.

https://gizmodo.com/this-map-shows-i...rin-1837079976

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/02/...ting-business/
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 9 August 2019, 22:11
SF_BHT's Avatar
SF_BHT SF_BHT is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Escaped from the islands!!!
Posts: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
I'm putting this here rather than start another thread. So those who use the ring app are apparently giving a boost to facial recognition and local PD without maybe even knowing.

https://gizmodo.com/this-map-shows-i...rin-1837079976

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/02/...ting-business/
Well if you give access be prepared for them to use it to include against you if they see something that interest them. Also how long will they save it?
__________________
BTDT Just marking time to Retire again....
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10 August 2019, 06:32
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 13,973
This is why I always recommend 'plain old IP cams' that you connect to your own server. "All you need is our phone app" is a major warning sign. Hard to beat FOSCAM and Blue Iris.
__________________
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11 August 2019, 14:54
wowzers wowzers is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
This is why I always recommend 'plain old IP cams' that you connect to your own server. "All you need is our phone app" is a major warning sign. Hard to beat FOSCAM and Blue Iris.
Is Foscam out of business? I went to their website and it wanted me to go to Amcrest.

The wife has been pushing me to set up some cameras but I don't want the video leaving my possession. Is the only way to run my own server? What kind of cash outlay roughly to setup 3-5 cameras and the server?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11 August 2019, 17:10
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 13,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Is Foscam out of business? I went to their website and it wanted me to go to Amcrest.

The wife has been pushing me to set up some cameras but I don't want the video leaving my possession. Is the only way to run my own server? What kind of cash outlay roughly to setup 3-5 cameras and the server?
Ha! No idea, I just grab them off of Amazon - never needed support. Amcrest looks similar, wonder if they bought them, or owned them, or something?

Yes - your own server is what keeps the stuff private. Any Windows computer can run Blue Iris - have a powerful one already (Core i5 or better)? Cost is tough to say - pick all your computer parts and find the cameras you like, and you'll know an estimate. Look at Amcrest cams on Amazon (or remaining FOSCAMs).
__________________
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018