SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 9 August 2019, 20:46
Confirmed User

I'm putting this here rather than start another thread. So those who use the ring app are apparently giving a boost to facial recognition and local PD without maybe even knowing.

https://gizmodo.com/this-map-shows-i...rin-1837079976

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/02/...ting-business/
Old 9 August 2019, 22:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
I'm putting this here rather than start another thread. So those who use the ring app are apparently giving a boost to facial recognition and local PD without maybe even knowing.

https://gizmodo.com/this-map-shows-i...rin-1837079976

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/02/...ting-business/
Well if you give access be prepared for them to use it to include against you if they see something that interest them. Also how long will they save it?
Old 10 August 2019, 06:32
BTDT

This is why I always recommend 'plain old IP cams' that you connect to your own server. "All you need is our phone app" is a major warning sign. Hard to beat FOSCAM and Blue Iris.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 11 August 2019, 14:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
This is why I always recommend 'plain old IP cams' that you connect to your own server. "All you need is our phone app" is a major warning sign. Hard to beat FOSCAM and Blue Iris.
Is Foscam out of business? I went to their website and it wanted me to go to Amcrest.

The wife has been pushing me to set up some cameras but I don't want the video leaving my possession. Is the only way to run my own server? What kind of cash outlay roughly to setup 3-5 cameras and the server?
Old 11 August 2019, 17:10
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Is Foscam out of business? I went to their website and it wanted me to go to Amcrest.

The wife has been pushing me to set up some cameras but I don't want the video leaving my possession. Is the only way to run my own server? What kind of cash outlay roughly to setup 3-5 cameras and the server?
Ha! No idea, I just grab them off of Amazon - never needed support. Amcrest looks similar, wonder if they bought them, or owned them, or something?

Yes - your own server is what keeps the stuff private. Any Windows computer can run Blue Iris - have a powerful one already (Core i5 or better)? Cost is tough to say - pick all your computer parts and find the cameras you like, and you'll know an estimate. Look at Amcrest cams on Amazon (or remaining FOSCAMs).
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"

Our new posting rules