SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 11 August 2019, 16:10
Confirmed User

556 Nato ammo for AR15

If you had to buy ammunition, of one size 55, 62 etc etc, what brand and size would you say is the most accurate consistently?
I have a Sig 516, and have always shot green tip 62 grain. Why, because it was/is used by the military, and figured it was solid and reliable.
My Sig is way more accurate than I am. But, to get the rifle to be as consistent as it can be while I develop better shooting skills, I would like ammo that is known to be consistent.
Any recommendations. 1/7 16 inch barrel..
Old 11 August 2019, 16:58
BTDT

Each gun has it's own preference, you need to find it. M855 is some of the most inaccurate stuff out there though. If you want factory ammo accuracy, look at the 77gr Sierra Match King offerings - GM223M3 from Federal, for example. They have a 69gr version too. The Tipped Match King is even newer - look at that as well (Black Hills, etc...). But I'm not an accuracy guy, only know enough to be wrong most of the time...
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 11 August 2019, 17:27
Been There Done That

1) Buy boxes of several name brands, in different weights
2) shoot them off bench and compare groups
3) buy more of the one your gun liked best.
Old 11 August 2019, 17:52
Confirmed User

Thnx. I know you guys know more than you say.
Black Hills or Federal with SMK 69/77 gr bullets.
That stuff is not cheap... But, looking at being consistent and want to make sure I am getting better.
Seems more people like heavier grain...
Old 12 August 2019, 07:32
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Thnx. I know you guys know more than you say.
Black Hills or Federal with SMK 69/77 gr bullets.
That stuff is not cheap... But, looking at being consistent and want to make sure I am getting better.
Seems more people like heavier grain...
Everybody is going to have their preference. Yes, Match Ammo is expensive. Anything that isn't 193/855 will cost more.

I personally choose Federal Fusion MSR as my zeroing/real world round. It has a BC of .31, which isn't bad, pretty accurate. I then just buy regular 62gr (same as the Fusion MSR) jacketed lead (but not M855), and practice with that - noting any POI shift and compensating with holds.

Look at Winchester 62gr OTM and Prvi Partizan 75gr OTM - they both get good marks for accuracy/cost on the boards.

Read arfcom's Ammunition section - good info there.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 12 August 2019, 13:55
Confirmed User

Thnx. There is not much out there, for CHEAP..
Anyways, I have looked at Winchester, Privi, Black Hills, and Federal.. 62 to 77 gr.
I do see allot of Hollow Point Boat tail, at or around same cost.
OTM just isnt as plentiful.. Of course, I need enough to see how things pan out.. Thnx again..
Old 12 August 2019, 22:18
Hard to Kill

Make sure you have enough twist on your rifling before buying ammo with a greater than 62 grn projectile. Most cheap guns are 1 in 9, higher end guns are 1 in 7. The later is what you want for a heavier projectile cartridge.
Old 13 August 2019, 00:23
Boot For Life

What kind of distance and accuracy are you looking for?
Old 13 August 2019, 06:01
Confirmed User

My rifle has a 1/7 twist. I am looking at max range of 100 yards. My scope, although not cheap, is an ACOG..
My area I live has no real need for anything past 100 yards.
I bought a few boxes of recommended and other match, OTM and match grade ammo. Once I get it, I will come up with a plan to get to the open range and dial things in..
I am a newbie, but, I need to start somewhere. Having the right tools and ammo is a start. Skills will come with practice...
Old 13 August 2019, 15:18
Been There Done That

How precisely are you aiming to shoot at 100 and less? How often?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 13 August 2019, 15:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
How precisely are you aiming to shoot at 100 and less? How often?
I know I need to practice, but hitting small varmints would be my need within 100yds
Old 13 August 2019, 15:56
Been There Done That

I was never a sniper, but I think you have plenty enough equipment now, and likely can’t shoot to it’s potential. So the focus should likely be solid application of fundamentals to grow your skills and adapt equipment once the equipment limits are met. At 100m.... the best ammo may not give enough of a difference to be worth the price until you can affect the difference.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 13 August 2019, 17:15
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I know I need to practice, but hitting small varmints would be my need within 100yds
What KW said. I'd just buy a case of M855 and call it a day.
Old 13 August 2019, 17:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
What KW said. I'd just buy a case of M855 and call it a day.
Well, I already bought a bunch of match stuff. I will go shoot it, see if I can get better groupings. And I have a few thousand rounds of M855 still that needs to go down round already..
Old 13 August 2019, 17:21
Make a desert and call it peace.

OK, that will serve, but in the future get some of the polymer tipper 50-55gn varmint bullets. Vmax, Nosler BT, whatever. They prefer a slower twist, but they'll live in the fast twists, unlike the really fragile varmint bullets like SX's or whatever.

Work on the fundamentals. Consistent sight picture, breathing, trigger control, follow through. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 13 August 2019, 19:27
Six Minutes!

One thing to consider if you're at all concerned about twist rate is that the length of the bullet is what defines the required twist rate, not the weight in grains.

Back in the day, these length and weight generally went hand in hand. Now that we have bullets made of different density materials, a lighter bullet may still need a faster twist.

For example, a Barnes TTSX 62 gr is .979" and a 62 gr M855 is .907" long.

So, when shopping for ammo to match up with your 1/7 twist, don't discard 55-62 gr monometal bullets.

Regardless, what really matters is what shoots best. I have a 1/7 that loves 69 gr Matchkings, shoots 55 gr OTMs well, but hates 77 gr Matchkings.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 14 August 2019, 06:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
OK, that will serve, but in the future get some of the polymer tipper 50-55gn varmint bullets. Vmax, Nosler BT, whatever. They prefer a slower twist, but they'll live in the fast twists, unlike the really fragile varmint bullets like SX's or whatever.

Work on the fundamentals. Consistent sight picture, breathing, trigger control, follow through. S/F....Ken M
Thnx. I will follow fundamentals. It will be a long day trying our the different ammo.. But, I do need the practice. I travel so much, and no real time to practice.

Our new posting rules