SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 November 2017, 17:53
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Saudi Crown Prince consolidates his power by arresting 11 princes

Reports are still a little thin, but apparently there have been arrests of numerous high ranking princes and military officers on "corruption charges".

I placed the last words in quotes because Saudi Arabia, if nothing else, is a country that has been built on corruption since its inception. Prince Bandar I recall once said that Saudis didn't invent corruption, but they perfected it. I've always considered Saudi Arabia to be more of a family business than a nation state, I guess this is the way they hand out pink slips to its employees.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/04/w...bin-talal.html

Regardless of the stated reason for all the arrests, it's pretty clear that the crown prince is anticipating his ascension to the throne and doesn't want any messy interference from other princes or the military when the time comes.
Old 5 November 2017, 19:32
Confirmed User

And there's this too. Probably just a coincidence.....

http://nypost.com/2017/11/05/saudi-p...icopter-crash/

Last edited by Macka; 5 November 2017 at 19:43.
Old 5 November 2017, 19:39
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
And there's this too. Probably just a coincidence.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6175710/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

Did you cut and paste the wrong link?

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 5 November 2017, 19:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
Did you cut and paste the wrong link?
I did....lol...

Corrected.
Old 5 November 2017, 19:45
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
I did....lol...

Corrected.
I'm not judging your choice of movies.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 5 November 2017, 21:35
Confirmed User

Originally reported as an attempted coup;
http://halturnerradioshow.com/index....dered-arrested
By Royal Decree, the King of Saudi Arabia has relieved from power the Minister of State, the Minister for Economy and Planning, the Chief of the Saudi National Guard as well as the Commander of the Naval Forces!

Among those arrested is Al-Waleed bin Talal, the richest man in Saudi Arabia . . . who has a major stake in Citigroup. Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal's major investments include Twitter & Lyft, and he is a majority owner of Four Seasons hotels along w/ Bill Gates
Rumour has it that they wanted to modernise the Kingdom, good luck.
Old 5 November 2017, 22:01
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by maim View Post
Originally reported as an attempted coup;
http://halturnerradioshow.com/index....dered-arrested
By Royal Decree, the King of Saudi Arabia has relieved from power the Minister of State, the Minister for Economy and Planning, the Chief of the Saudi National Guard as well as the Commander of the Naval Forces!

Among those arrested is Al-Waleed bin Talal, the richest man in Saudi Arabia . . . who has a major stake in Citigroup. Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal's major investments include Twitter & Lyft, and he is a majority owner of Four Seasons hotels along w/ Bill Gates
Rumour has it that they wanted to modernise the Kingdom, good luck.
Ouch.
Old 6 November 2017, 00:12
Confirmed User

“You broke my heart Fredo bin Dirka, never take sides against the family! Now who wants to go fishing? Yallah!”

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 6 November 2017, 10:34
Bitter old man.

Some heads are gonna roll.
Old 6 November 2017, 12:17
Life is simple, not easy.

Thomas Wictor over on Twitter has some interesting threads on KSA:

twitter.com/ThomasWictor/status/907338972296241152
How has the world changed since September 11, 2001?

twitter.com/ThomasWictor/status/927052304498298885
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia.

twitter.com/ThomasWictor/status/926960414218268673
Saudi Arabia and religious intolerance.

Last edited by Sigi; 6 November 2017 at 12:24.
Old 6 November 2017, 12:23
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
You broke my heart Fredo bin Dirka, never take sides against the family! Now who wants to go fishing? Yallah!
Now that shits funny!!!

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 6 November 2017, 13:20
In Vino Veritas

Well... because world affairs, n shit...

Russia and Iran sign a $30B energy deal, China and Russia look to dump the petrol dollar, Iran attacks SA through a proxy, and now SA is cleaning house.

My question is whats the play on the world stage?
Old 6 November 2017, 13:52
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Thomas Wictor over on Twitter has some interesting threads on KSA:

twitter.com/ThomasWictor/status/907338972296241152
How has the world changed since September 11, 2001?

twitter.com/ThomasWictor/status/927052304498298885
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia.

twitter.com/ThomasWictor/status/926960414218268673
Saudi Arabia and religious intolerance.
Thomas Wictor also published a thread attributing precision air strikes in Syria to a covert force of super Arab pilots and commandos. https://twitter.com/thomaswictor/sta...75024396861441

It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really. -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 6 November 2017, 13:54
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post

My question is whats the play on the world stage?
Our play would be to capitalize on the current level of uncertainty and initiate new/renegotiate old strategic basing agreements.

It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really. -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 6 November 2017, 17:37
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Some heads are gonna roll.
More than a figure of speech over there!

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 6 November 2017, 17:58
Anesthetized User

Chop Chop Square is where the commoners go. Mostly foreign guest workers.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 7 November 2017, 16:55
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Chop Chop Square is where the commoners go. Mostly foreign guest workers.
Although if you started seeing some royal heads hit the square after noon prayers in the near future, you'll know there is some serious upheaval in the kingdom.

The rumor mill in the media is working overtime right now, with reports that the arrests were the result of an attempted coup attempt, which wouldn't be totally unheard of. There have probably been several coup plots over the years that have never been revealed in the media.

That said, the crown prince is a divisive figure and not universally supported in his bid to take over for his father. It's a radical shift in the structure of succession in Saudi Arabia that has generally seen one son of ibn Saud after another take over the top spot. But those sons are running out and at some point a new generation of leadership has to take the reins.

That next generation is nothing like their predecessors, for the most part they are western educated and not as sympathetic to the balance of power that has always existed between the royal family and the religious authority. I expect there to be more turmoil in Saudi in the months and years ahead, especially after the current king dies. As it is, he is barely cognizant of his surroundings and has advanced dementia.
Old 7 November 2017, 18:27
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Although if you started seeing some royal heads hit the square after noon prayers in the near future, you'll know there is some serious upheaval in the kingdom.

The rumor mill in the media is working overtime right now, with reports that the arrests were the result of an attempted coup attempt, which wouldn't be totally unheard of. There have probably been several coup plots over the years that have never been revealed in the media.

That said, the crown prince is a divisive figure and not universally supported in his bid to take over for his father. It's a radical shift in the structure of succession in Saudi Arabia that has generally seen one son of ibn Saud after another take over the top spot. But those sons are running out and at some point a new generation of leadership has to take the reins.

That next generation is nothing like their predecessors, for the most part they are western educated and not as sympathetic to the balance of power that has always existed between the royal family and the religious authority. I expect there to be more turmoil in Saudi in the months and years ahead, especially after the current king dies. As it is, he is barely cognizant of his surroundings and has advanced dementia.
Makes sense. SANG is under the Crown Prince. I thought things would get funky after Abdullah died.

Changing of the guard. But, I still see it as 100 years away, even it if starts now. Lots of tribal influences that do not want anything to change, ever.

Support SOCNET.

Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic. (MICP)
Old 7 November 2017, 18:42
Confirmed User

Personally the SA Iran stoush worries me more than NK.
No independant verification of SA's remaining oil reserves has been (allowed) to be done since 1976.
They will probably fine (confiscate) the wealth of the arrested in order to boost their own coffers.
IMHO.
Old 7 November 2017, 20:47
Confirmed User

Reuters is reporting Lebanon Prime Minister flew to SA and phoned in his resignation. Also per SA Lebanon has declared war on SA???

Is SA preempting the impending Iranian caliphate or is this just ME camel trading??

Our new posting rules