SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 October 2018, 14:46
Confirmed User

Thought the flyers here would appreciate this!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20181012-214441-01.jpg (26.0 KB, 251 views)
Old 12 October 2018, 15:21
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
Calling CPTAUSA.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 12 October 2018, 15:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
US customs app for reentry into the US. Helps you skip the line.
Mobile Passport. I've used it twice so far. Saved a huge amount of time both times. Highly recommend.
Old 12 October 2018, 16:12
Administrator

I flew for the FAMS for 5 years, domestic and international. 50 hours per week for 5 years and probably an average of 2 hours per day waiting on the next flight so figure around 8 hours per day in the air. I have no idea how much that is but I can tell you that I no longer like to fly.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 12 October 2018, 16:15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I flew for the FAMS for 5 years, domestic and international. 50 hours per week for 5 years and probably an average of 2 hours per day waiting on the next flight so figure around 8 hours per day in the air. I have no idea how much that is but I can tell you that I no longer like to fly.

My math says that's about 5.5 million miles in 5 years.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 12 October 2018, 17:35
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
High altitude flight exposes you to a lot more solar radiation than you would normally get on the ground. By itself, the extra rads from frequent high altitude flight are probably not enough to matter as long as you have a healthy immune system. However, you are flying to a gold mine. One of the ways 20th century prospectors looked for gold was with radiation detectors, because gold is normally co-located with uranium deposits. The background radiation from the ground in an ore-bearing location is low but above normal, but within the gold mine you should expect elevated rad levels. Most of the rads to worry about will come from alpha emitters, so wear a dust mask. Even the combo of frequent flight and visiting a gold mine might not be enough rads for major levels of concern, but it could be, especially if you smoke or dip. That much flying while sitting in a gold mine while smoking or dipping amounts to bulk buying tickets to the cancer lottery. Remember that part about kids in school? Stay safe!
Damn ET1/ss....solid gold glowing info right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post

then "why are all the other travelers so dumb?" (stopping in the middle of the terminal right in front of you to do dumb shit, not pushing their bags into the X-ray, etc.
Been at that stage for a few years now!

Good info all, thank you.
Old 12 October 2018, 18:48
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
At one point in my career I was doing "around the world" flights about once every 30-60 days.. We'd leave CONUS and literally circle the globe over a 2-4 week period of time, hitting anywhere from 5-10 countries in the process..

If I'm honest.. it never got any easier.. that much long haul flying sucks no matter what you do..

There are some tricks that can make it a little less painful though..

good quality noise cancelling headphones are essential

So are comfortable slip on/off shoes..

not sure if you'll be flying coach or business.. but once you have done the haul a few times you will have enough miles accumulated to be a "gold" mileage club member (if you dont already have an account with all of the major airlines you might be traveling on.. get one NOW! this is a priority..).. once you have made gold, it doesnt take too long to hit platinum status.. while you cant count on it.. most airlines will upgrade their gold and/or platinum flyers riding in coach class if there are seats open in business class at no charge.. I had this happen probably 25-35% of the time back when I was flying all of the time.. being in business class makes a huge difference in comfort...

Many airlines provide free lounge access for gold and platnium flyers.. take advantage of this once you get status.. resting in the lounge on layovers or before initial flights goes a long way toward not feeling like a ball of knots when you reach your final destination..

See a doc and talk to him about getting a prescription for ambien.. long haul flights will kill you.. and depending on how far youre going and which direction you are traveling, they can leave you smoked for a couple of days easily.. ambien can fix that for you... be forewarned though.. ambien and alcohol dont mix.. 1 beer + 1 ambien = naked in a stairwell in iceland wondering where you are and who the ugly chick with the hairy back laying next to you is... (ask me how I know )...
I echo this...I was a 1K with United for 10 years...don't think I was ever not upgraded to Business Class on International Flights. Once you are their top tier, you have access to upgrades that lower tiers don't. I highly recommend you head over to Flyertalk.com and look through their forums. Those people live for this sort of discussion, I used to be one of them when I flew like that.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 12 October 2018, 18:52
The Sagacious One

Quote:

I am at just under 750,000 on United alone.
Old 12 October 2018, 18:54
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
Until a year ago, I flew about 20-30 hours per week (primarily overnight flights). My 2 cents....

- Pick your airline that gets you to business class or first class upgrade with the most frequency fastest. They aren't all the same. For me, that was a regional star alliance partner and not one of the associated US airlines. The regional carrier had less requirements for miles for top tier (25-35k less miles required for top tier plus after a certain number of miles, 25% rollover of miles into the next year) and gave more bonuses (often 2X miles and sometimes 3X miles). Plus they flew everywhere I needed to go for work without having to stop in the States first.

- The VIP lounge made more difference for me than any other frequent flyer benefit. Wifi, clean bathrooms, free snacks/booze/drinks, and nicer staff. Sometimes, even a shower. In my experience, it's easier to get upgrades or preferential seat changes in the VIP lounge than out in the main terminal.

- Lots here say to get the aisle seat. That never worked for me. All it takes is one time having one of those people that has a kidney the size of a lima bean on a ten hour flight and you'll become a window seat advocate like I am. You also get a bit more space with the curve of the plane and a bulkhead to sleep against. Taking the aisle seat makes sense on domestic flights...for me, it maks less sense on long international flights.

- If you have to take an aisle seat in coach, try to get the aisle seat in that one row that only has two seats across rather than 3.

- I'm also an advocate for being the first person on the plane rather than the last. Your bags will always find convenient overhead space and you can get settled in. The difference maker is being the first person OFF the plane....particularly if you have to go through immigration wherever you've landed. The up front time on a plane is less bad than the debarking time...having to try to get your bags from a few rows back because that's all that was left at the last minute only adds to your debarkation time.

- I'm also a fan of putting my bag in the overhead opposite from my seat rathe than over my seat. You can keep an eye on your bags and they are easier to get out upon debarkation (without having to twist around).

- Learn to hit the restroom before they serve breakfast on overnight flights. There's generally no line.

HTH
Hah, I'm usually the one who has to pee every 1/2 hour so I always get the isle! Anyway, as posted here, the airline's lounge is the way to go...they are much better overseas as well. If you are with United, once you hit Gold (50K miles in a year) you will have automatic access to it for international flights. I used to pay for my yearly lounge pass...usually about 500.00 a year...and if you are going to be flying that much you won't regret paying for it. Once you reach status you won't have to pay for it...airline dependent. Also if you are on a business class or higher ticket the lounge is part of the deal.

I'm a bit jealous of you actually, I miss my high flying days. If you do stick with it, when you hit 1million butt in seat miles, you get million miler status which results in lifetime Mid Tier status for life. I'm Gold with United, so although I don't fly much, at least when I do I get free bags, and automatic Economy Plus.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 12 October 2018, 20:25
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Calling CPTAUSA.
Nancy is closing in on 4,000,000 miles on United, I am closing in on 3,000,000, also with United. We are also Global Services.
Old 13 October 2018, 01:56
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Pretty sure I gotcha beat back in the day....

Never kept track of miles, but I once went around the world from east to west in a week, then back around from west to east in another week. This accounted for less than 20 days in my life in a period of 6 years. (Elmendorf AK- Hickam HI, Pago Pago AS- Australia- Diego Garcia- Afghanistan- Qatar- Germany, England- Alaska... ... ... Alaska- Charleston SC-Germany- Afghanistan- Diego Garcia- Singapore- Japan- Alaska).

I didn't respond to this thread, since while the question applied to me, the circumstances didn't.

As a Loadmaster crewmember who flew for a living, my advice surely doesn't apply to a commercial traveler. For someone who flies for a living, 12 hours is a SHORT leg...

Bring a hammock to sling between pallets.

Paperback books allow quick page folding, and responding to hydraulic leaks, door open indicators, and slow decompressions.

Box meals are the devil. Live like the rest of us, and base your meal off a 5 minute stop at the shoppette. Hot Pockets suck but cook the best in the oven. Slim Jims and Red Vines make you fat, but are about the only thing you can count on at any given shoppette or class 6.

Grunts have it worse than you- give them leeway on the jet to make themselves comfortable. Let them think they are getting away with drinking booze without you knowing, and shield them from customs and TSA agents to the best of your abiltity.

AWAYS bring your own booze. Never underestimate the ability of the USAF to screw you over and make you sit at your jet for hours waiting on trans, while your pax are soundly sleeping in a hotel or tent, while you are still sitting in the jet waiting for a bus to take you to customs. Getting drunk while on the jet makes this process easier to accept.

NEVER inprocess Qatari customs if you can avoid it. It's a shitty process which only results in a shitty ride to a shitty billeting location with shitty food.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 13 October 2018, 16:05
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Nancy is closing in on 4,000,000 miles on United, I am closing in on 3,000,000, also with United. We are also Global Services.
Ya'll must be dropping some coin to be GS!!! I've only met one other GSer. BTW, is it worth it? Or is is just a glorified 1K?
Old 13 October 2018, 17:45
Confirmed User

Wow, you guys fly ALOT!
Old 13 October 2018, 23:02
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Ya'll must be dropping some coin to be GS!!! I've only met one other GSer. BTW, is it worth it? Or is is just a glorified 1K?
It is totally worth it, it has saved our bacon more than a few times.

For instance, we were inbound on a flight which was running too late for us to make our connecting flight. When we landed, we were met at the door by Global Service personnel holding up our names, we left out of the service door, and were driven across the airport to our flight which was waiting for us.

We have benefitted from this type of service more than once.

And since you asked, we fly out monday to Berlin, spend a day or two, then on to Paris, back home in about ten days or so.

Terry
Old 13 October 2018, 23:26
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
And since you asked, we fly out monday to Berlin, spend a day or two, then on to Paris, back home in about ten days or so.
I'm going to miss you guys in Paris by about two days.
Old 13 October 2018, 23:37
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
It is totally worth it, it has saved our bacon more than a few times.

For instance, we were inbound on a flight which was running too late for us to make our connecting flight. When we landed, we were met at the door by Global Service personnel holding up our names, we left out of the service door, and were driven across the airport to our flight which was waiting for us.

We have benefitted from this type of service more than once.

Terry
Not to mention the upstairs lounge at Narita.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 18 October 2018, 06:31
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Bose sound cancelling headphones.
Best investment I made when I was consulting and traveling 75% of the time. After the first couple of flights, you'll get automagically upgraded to more comfortable seating. Profit.
Old 18 October 2018, 12:42
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Not to mention the upstairs lounge at Narita.

I only know the regular United lounge at Narita and I'm pretty happy with that one!

Our new posting rules