Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 18 March 2017, 11:03
Been There Done That

Meh...strap'm to a chair then send them out Gary Gilmore style...
Old 18 March 2017, 11:09
Midgetologist

Nice! Good month to be the executioner.
Old 18 March 2017, 11:37
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
116 shows the system works.

Many were based on modern forensic techniques not available at the first trial.

Some were directly caused by the prosecution withholding evidence.

While being pro DP - if I was on a jury I would not even convict if all the evidence they had was an eyewitness.
No, the system doesn't work. If the system worked, no one would be wrongly convicted. We'd only always arrest the right guy instead of the wrong guy.

If the death penalty really works as a deterrent, why are we still executing people?

Why haven't any of those prosecutors faced sanctions for a Brady violation? Why is that so hard to do?

TFG, no we shouldn't just throw the prison doors open. The drawback with the death penalty is its permanence. If we screw up and throw the wrong guy in a cage for 30 years, we can let him out, throw some money at him if he lives in the right state, and watch him flounder about in a society that left him behind 30 years ago, all the while feeling like we righted a wrong. If the state kills the wrong person, how do we fix that?
Old 18 March 2017, 11:54
In Vino Veritas

The death penalty is not a deterrent. 90% of the people on death row are there for "crimes of passion", and yes, sadly sometimes juries get it wrong. But at the end of the day some people are so evil they shouldn't be alive, nor should they become wards of the state.
Old 18 March 2017, 12:15
Genetically Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
90% of the people on death row are there for "crimes of passion",
90%? This is a very interesting topic and that is a very interesting stat! With ~3000 inmates on DR, that would mean 2700 are there for crimes of passion. I tried to find a reference for the 90% w/o luck. Do you have a link? Thanks.

Last edited by ramzmedic; 18 March 2017 at 12:35.
Old 18 March 2017, 12:41
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
If the death penalty really works as a deterrent, why are we still executing people?
The death penalty serves as a deterrent to keep the executed criminal from harming society anymore. It may not stop or deter others from committing the same crimes.

We are still executing criminals because evil still exists in this world.

Last edited by Gray Rhyno; 18 March 2017 at 12:49.
Old 18 March 2017, 13:36
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
The death penalty serves as a deterrent to keep the executed criminal from harming society anymore. It may not stop or deter others from committing the same crimes.
So does keeping them in prison away from society.

I'm with the other comments - against the State death penalty for all the reasons they listed.

However I am all for anyone exploding the grape of someone caught in your home, harming you or your loved ones, and not being harassed by the State for doing so.
Old 18 March 2017, 14:23
Administrator

Send them to Europe. It works for other countries.
Old 18 March 2017, 15:05
Corpsman Up!

I used to be 100% for the Death Penalty.

I had an acquaintance growing up that hung out with a close friend of mine. His name is Steve Pruett. I knew his little brother, who was annoying at best and kind of feral, as their parents were not the best, well, parents, a kid could have. While I was in the Navy, I heard from friends back home that they had gotten in trouble, and their dad had killed a guy that little Robert had been fighting with, and Robert (15 at the time) was tried as an adult, and given 99 YEARS for participating, but not actually stabbing the neighbor. Steve got 40 years and the dad, the one doing the stabbing, got life.

Fast forward to 1999, read in the news that Robert had stabbed and killed a prison guard and got sentenced to death. I knew this kid. Yeah he was rambunctious, and a little wild, he was also the kid that would nurse animals back to health, would rather stay home and play with and care for his little cousins, etc. Deep down, a really gentle kind of spirit. In NO WAY would this kid EVER actually kill someone. And what I read may stand to reason why he's had FOUR stays of execution, the last one while he was sitting in the holding cell waiting to get the needle.

If you have any curiosity, read about his case. There are "questionable" circumstances, and I believe after reading everything, he may just be telling the truth and be innocent.

I have changed my views on the DP, and would like to see it abolished.
Old 18 March 2017, 15:32
Confirmed User

The bottom line is that there are people that need to be killed for what they've done. Straight up. To deny that fact is to deny reality.

The small, nearly non-existent libshit side of me MAY suggest you can tighten up the restrictions on what constitutes a death penalty sentence (100% DNA evidence/100% caught on 1080p in action/etc), but if you completely get rid of the Death Penalty you are severely subverting justice. I can't make it any simpler. Some crimes and criminals are so abhorrent and obscene that nothing less than death is a slap in the face to the victims.

Some people just need to be put up against a wall and have a bullet put in their heads. We need to harden the fuck up.
Old 18 March 2017, 15:41
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
So does keeping them in prison away from society.

I'm with the other comments - against the State death penalty for all the reasons they listed.

However I am all for anyone exploding the grape of someone caught in your home, harming you or your loved ones, and not being harassed by the State for doing so.
"Mom, PinkSOC just killed my new boyfriend in the hallway downstairs..... He was just trying to carry my laptop upstairs. WTF?"

Every time a life is taken by another person of sound mind, a risk based decision is made. The quality of the factors going into that decision legitimize the decision, be they legal or not. The wrong people have been shot during completely legitimate visits to a home. So under your risk based analysis, you are a hypocrite. Which one is it?
Old 18 March 2017, 15:46
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Apples to oranges. You can release someone from jail, but you cant un-execute them.
You cannot give back the life you have taken, in either scenario.
Old 18 March 2017, 15:51
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
No, the system doesn't work. If the system worked, no one would be wrongly convicted. We'd only always arrest the right guy instead of the wrong guy.

Why haven't any of those prosecutors faced sanctions for a Brady violation? Why is that so hard to do?

TFG, no we shouldn't just throw the prison doors open. The drawback with the death penalty is its permanence. If we screw up and throw the wrong guy in a cage for 30 years, we can let him out, throw some money at him if he lives in the right state, and watch him flounder about in a society that left him behind 30 years ago, all the while feeling like we righted a wrong. If the state kills the wrong person, how do we fix that?
You can't, just like your solution for the wrongly jailed doesn't fix the situation, it just appeases your conscience. The dynamic is the same in both cases. Its just a matter of increased intensity throughout the entire system until you hit the pinnacle, the death penalty.

I agree that the justice system is hugely problematic, but what governmental entity isn't? Do uninjured people get workmen's comp? Hell yea. Do we stop doing good with the program because there is a chance for human error? I think not.

There is a difference where the evidence is one person that says this is what happens and one where the dudes DNA is all over the victim and the whole event is caught on HD CCTV. I am all for stricter rules to use the death penalty, they may well be needed. That doesn't mean we stop it altogether. (See, there, it didn't hurt to spell it out)

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 18 March 2017 at 15:58.
Old 18 March 2017, 16:04
Been There Done That

Kneel 'em down, arms trussed behind the back
Straight sword to the pocket in the shoulder between the clavicle and the trapezius
Straight thrust down into the chest, piercing the heart
Quick, clean, pretty much painless, merciful

Fuck 'em

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 18 March 2017, 16:10
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
"Mom, PinkSOC just killed my new boyfriend in the hallway downstairs..... He was just trying to carry my laptop upstairs. WTF?"

Every time a life is taken by another person of sound mind, a risk based decision is made. The quality of the factors going into that decision legitimize the decision, be they legal or not. The wrong people have been shot during completely legitimate visits to a home. So under your risk based analysis, you are a hypocrite. Which one is it?
Well since I'm not retarded, I figured it would be assumed when I said "caught in your home" it was more than just hearing a sound and starting to blast away, but after a risk analysis.
Old 18 March 2017, 16:19
Confirmed User

Getting caught in KidA's home probably gets you a fate worse than death itself............

Old 18 March 2017, 18:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
You cannot give back the life you have taken, in either scenario.
Right, but you were responding to a post about people who didn't commit the crime.
Old 18 March 2017, 20:36
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Well since I'm not retarded, I figured it would be assumed when I said "caught in your home" it was more than just hearing a sound and starting to blast away, but after a risk analysis.
You make my point. Both scenarios require risk-based decisions. Why are you allowed to sentence someone to death but not a constitutionally appointed jury of someones peers?
Old 18 March 2017, 20:39
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
Right, but you were responding to a post about people who didn't commit the crime.
I assumed the scenario was for both "inmates", that neither was really guilty. Neither can get the life back, or fraction there of, that was taken from him.
Old 18 March 2017, 21:28
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Excellent post.

I'm in the minority around here too because I agree with you 100%.
How do you feel about chain gangs?

Our new posting rules