Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 2 June 2008, 11:29
Confirmed User

I was "Senior Commo" guy on my team, as in only commo guy on my team, as a PFC. Everything was in morse code. Sending was no big deal, you had the liesure of "typing" up your msg prior to your designated commo time, then head out, throw your ant., msg gone it 10 seconds and head back. reeiving sucked though. Half the time you were huddled under a poncho with a red lens light at night, trying to copy 120 groups onto your previously wetted note book, praying your damn pencil lead didn't break!
Old 2 June 2008, 11:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
There's no way this can be an OPSEC violation now:
I can't remember what it was called, but we had this high tech piece of commo equipment attatched to our radio that you needed to have a clearance to learn how to use. It had to be hidden when training with other units and when we came back from the field, it had to be cleaned off indoors.

What did this secret piece of cutting edge technology do?
It allowed us to send 25 letter characters in a 2 second burst transmission through our radios. :D
...essentialy a primative unreliable form of limited text messaging.

At the time, it was friggin awesome.
That wouldn't be the DMDG Device (pronounced D-mag) would it?

RgrDrew
Old 2 June 2008, 12:25
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB11 View Post
I was "Senior Commo" guy on my team, as in only commo guy on my team, as a PFC. Everything was in morse code. Sending was no big deal, you had the liesure of "typing" up your msg prior to your designated commo time, then head out, throw your ant., msg gone it 10 seconds and head back. reeiving sucked though. Half the time you were huddled under a poncho with a red lens light at night, trying to copy 120 groups onto your previously wetted note book, praying your damn pencil lead didn't break!

People thought I was nuts when I was learning code, I'd sit and read the newspaper (the Stars & Stripes of course) in code at the Gedunk. I'd get the craziest stares. I could imagine Dependent Mothers would look at their husbands and say "Honey, do you know where the children are?":D

The hardest part for me was to coordinate my Mind and fingers. Hear the code, translate it in my head, then type it out on the teletype and hope I didnt make any errors before the next word was coming in. Of course that doesnt suck as much as a pencil lead breaking and getting your tail sopping wet sitting in the muck. It was a heck of job wasnt it!

OldSwabbie
Old 2 June 2008, 15:47
Confirmed User

From what I remember about the DMDG, it was a little laptop type unit, with actual keyboard, meaning you didn't have to type code into it. We got em during my last year, and if I remember right, for rcving, you just turned it on, brewed some joe, and later the characters just scrolled across the screen? Whatever, it was sure nicer than the black box we used to carry, but a long shot from satcom.
Old 2 June 2008, 23:35
Been There Done That

We pronounced them D-Megs and used one time pads
Old 3 June 2008, 00:05
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

We called them D-Megs as well... and you still needed one-time pads and trigraphs with them... :D
Old 3 June 2008, 15:04
Confirmed User

PRC 74's, 70's. DMDG, and sleeping with IV's and 542s. The Tm leader humping the G-76. Gotta love it!
Old 8 June 2008, 13:45
Been There Done That

LOL, shit we are old
Old 8 June 2008, 17:38
Quiet Professional

OK....who remembers the GRC-109?

http://www.militaryradio.com/spyradio/grc109.html

http://www.radiomilitari.com/grc109.html
Old 8 June 2008, 18:40
The Sagacious One

D-Meg

Quote:
My kids thought they had something on me when they showed me how to text message. I told them, Baby I was texting (on the D-meg) when texting wasn't cool. Oh, and the trigraphing from memory for beer was always a source of late night fun.

TigerDad, When did we get old?
Old 8 June 2008, 18:45
The Sagacious One

Batteries

Quote:
LOL, shit we are old
What about shorting out the old batteries for the 70's with a paper clip to delete the "memory" so you could recharge them and that piece of shit hand crank generator that caused a million people to develop 10 million ways to crank it, none of which worked.
Old 9 June 2008, 01:03
Confirmed User

Never saw the GRC-109, but what the hell was the name of the burst set prior to the DMDG? It came in a black box, had a metal cassette type tape, and you had the option of typing in code-had a dit side and a dot side plus spacer-or you could dial the letter in and push a button, all after using the 1 time pads and trigraphing? I think it was the GRA something or other?
Old 21 June 2008, 22:21

82d, 1/75 (Back when there was no RIP and SLs trained a RANGER), 2/75.

Last edited by rangerabe; 22 June 2008 at 00:01.
Old 22 June 2008, 21:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB11 View Post
Never saw the GRC-109, but what the hell was the name of the burst set prior to the DMDG? It came in a black box, had a metal cassette type tape, and you had the option of typing in code-had a dit side and a dot side plus spacer-or you could dial the letter in and push a button, all after using the 1 time pads and trigraphing? I think it was the GRA something or other?
I believe that would be the GRA 71 which is mentioned in snaquebite's second link.

Mark
Old 22 June 2008, 23:47
Confirmed User

That sounds like the one, only I was hooking up to prc74/70.
Old 23 June 2008, 00:29
Greenhat
Visitor

All you got to do to know you're old is look at all the crap we carried with PRC70s in order to communicate and then look at the stuff that is carried today. Of course, I don't know if they communicate any better, but it sure is smaller and lighter.
Old 26 June 2008, 16:11
Short Timer

Believe it or not I took the last of our PRC-70's, DMDG's, BB-542's to Ft Bragg when we deployed in 02 hoping to get rid of them. The shop actually tested and calibrated everything and GAVE IT BACK. I was able to finally get rid of them during our 06 deployment though. I sort of miss having my own commo museum. We still have a bunch of PRC-90's and some PRC-126's floating around here.
Old 27 June 2008, 00:13
Going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by freqman View Post
Believe it or not I took the last of our PRC-70's, DMDG's....
Do you remember the harness Sullivan made for the 70's that let us run them off of a hummer? We took that to JRTC in 98 and the OC's looked at us like we had a dick growing out of our foreheads. :D

The base station commo course in 98 was still teaching BTB's, but we were the last class to go through under that curriculum with the JBS being fielded. Myself and the lone 18E in the class were the only ones that had ever done them.

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 27 June 2008, 11:27
Short Timer

I remember that and I also remember getting kudos during the AAR for creative use of the obsolete equipment we were stuck with and the high proficiency everyone had with SC HF. We're just about on par with AC with our equipment now but in a way it was fun to do the same job with equipment most guys had never seen before. Remember all the mods on the TSC-26 to let us not only do BTB's but also do voice and KL-43 until it finally couldn't take anymore so we gutted the message center van and turned it into a single shelter base station with one GRC-193, a couple of LST-5's, a SOCA and our COTS RF-5022? We never did get that second 5022 by the way...kayaks.
Old 27 June 2008, 11:42
Short Timer

I just noticed you're back again. How's your Pashtu immersion coming along?

Our new posting rules