Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 18 January 2017, 22:31
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Mass, what was your opinion of those welterweights that fought back in the 80s, Leonard, Hearns, Hagler and Duran?

Most of the fights that took place between them, though not all, weren't what I would call boring. I understand what you're saying, but boxing, within its defined rules and the manner in which the two fighters go at it, can definitely be pretty good.
I'm a little young to remember those fights well although I most likely saw all of them. Definitely every Hagler fight. To me, the world has moved on. Boxing is boring and limited.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 18 January 2017, 22:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I'm a little young to remember those fights well although I most likely saw all of them. Definitely every Hagler fight. To me, the world has moved on. Boxing is boring and limited.
Yes, I was referring to a boxing match. Of course in MMA there are numerous aspects to master, which makes becoming extremely proficient at any one aspect quite difficult.

As far as modern boxing being boring, there are some extremely talented boxers that are quite exciting to watch. Gennady Golovkin, Sergay Kovalev, Canelo, Vasyl Lomachenko, Terrence Crawford - all put on some very entertaining fights. Golovkin has what could be the best Ko percentage in history right now. Dude just destroys people.
Old 18 January 2017, 22:59
Violent Social Worker

It comes down to opinion and what you like, I can't say you're wrong because it's a matter of preference.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 19 January 2017, 15:04
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Boxing in many respects is like horse racing, it belongs to another era.

Boxing still has its fans, and probably always will, but as time goes on I expect you'll see its popularity diminish while MMA becomes the predominant combative sport.

Again, the demographics aren't in boxing's favor. If you look at the overall fan base of boxing vs MMA, boxing fans seem to trend older and more traditional (and, because they're getting older they are also in decline) while MMA attracts a much younger crowd.

Time will tell. Other than Mayweather, I can't think of any other boxer whose name really rings a bell with me. And even though I don't really follow the sport, I know a lot of the fighters in the MMA/UFC fold.
Old 14 February 2017, 13:08
Problem Solver

It looks like this fight just might happen after all:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...icle-1.2972132

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 19 February 2017, 18:24
Confirmed User

Looking at Golovkin I think we might have a new greatest coming on.
Old 11 March 2017, 15:36
Confirmed User

Floyd has officially un-retired in a bid to turn up the heat on McGreggor. Apparently he is pushing for a June fight.

Until they're in the ring, I won't believe it's happening.
Old 17 March 2017, 10:12
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserweight View Post
My old boxing coach put it this way, and I have to somewhat agree: boxing is where the big money is at. If UFC fighters had any real talent, they'd be boxers.
While alot of UFC fighters have some talent, all too many have absolute slop boxing ability. Or really any kind of stand up fighting ability. It's painful to watch. Can't throw a straight punch, no rhythm. Dudes would get eaten alive by any local amateur boxer. Why is this? Maybe they focus too much on Ju jitsu instead of their stand up game, maybe they have a coach who really doesn't know that much about boxing. There are likely a number of reasons. It's just embarrassing to watch sometimes.
This is the textbook attitude that arrogant boxers take. The comment "If UFC fighters had any real talent, they'd be boxers." is so insanely immature, dogmatic, and ignorant, that I am almost shocked that it was written.

If "UFC fighters" only focused on working on boxing; then they'd be "boxers". Fighters who train all ranges of unarmed fighting, are arguably very talented if they stick with it. If you make the mistake of believing that training a single skill set is superior to training all ranges, ya better open your eyes.

Put an MMA fighter in a ring, playing by the limited rules of Boxing; ie, only being able to bang with punches, the boxer win's because of the limited rules. Remove the rules, allow all ranges of fighting, then put a boxer in a cage; the most boxers don't last a minute. Couture and Tony fight is a good example of that.

The embarrassing thing is believing that possessing only a single skillset is somehow superior.
Old 17 March 2017, 12:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
This is the textbook attitude that arrogant boxers take. The comment "If UFC fighters had any real talent, they'd be boxers." is so insanely immature, dogmatic, and ignorant, that I am almost shocked that it was written.

If "UFC fighters" only focused on working on boxing; then they'd be "boxers". Fighters who train all ranges of unarmed fighting, are arguably very talented if they stick with it. If you make the mistake of believing that training a single skill set is superior to training all ranges, ya better open your eyes.

Put an MMA fighter in a ring, playing by the limited rules of Boxing; ie, only being able to bang with punches, the boxer win's because of the limited rules. Remove the rules, allow all ranges of fighting, then put a boxer in a cage; the most boxers don't last a minute. Couture and Tony fight is a good example of that.

The embarrassing thing is believing that possessing only a single skillset is somehow superior.
You're missing the point I'm making. Boxing is where the money is at. If I'm a young dude with alot of talent, would I want to fight in the UFC for 80k or box on HBO or Showtime for ten times that? You bring up the Couture and Tony fight but neglect to mention the Sylvia and Mercer fight.
Old 17 March 2017, 12:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
Looking at Golovkin I think we might have a new greatest coming on.
For sure. Can't wait to see the fight tomorrow night.
Old 17 March 2017, 14:53
Been There Done That

I've trained BJJ with several pro mma fighters, there is NO DOUBT if they could box professionally they would do so in an instant.

I believe that's the point he was making, no way they'd keep fighting while living at moms, teaching mma and buying used cars if they could get boxing paychecks.

No mma fighter would turn down compensation at anywhere near equivalent skill/level of a boxer.
Just compare a boxing champions per fight take to any multi time champ in ufc, it's not even in the same galaxy...like 10 to 100x difference.

Floyd spends money like a goof and apparently got scammed out of a bunch lately that he'd like to replace with this easy appearance.
He'll WALK through Conner in a boxing match, likely take it easy as he knows folks will want entertainment and stretch it out on purpose.
Old 18 March 2017, 01:59
Voodoo guru

Quote:
You're missing the point I'm making. Boxing is where the money is at. If I'm a young dude with alot of talent, would I want to fight in the UFC for 80k or box on HBO or Showtime for ten times that? You bring up the Couture and Tony fight but neglect to mention the Sylvia and Mercer fight.
Ah!!! Gotcha! You're right, I did miss that point. I stand corrected. And sadly, no leg to stand on to respectfully disagree. MMA fighters are paid disgracefully low compared to big ticket boxers. UFC PPV does well, but the sport itself isn't big enough to compete with boxing. Hopefully that changes, but I am not sure that it will anytime soon.
Old 18 March 2017, 09:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
I absolutely agree with this, but I dont really understand how it happens that way. I dont know ANYONE who pays for boxing matches, or even goes to watch them. I never see them shown on TV when I go to any bars or restaurants that show sports. However, if there is a UFC fight on that I wasnt expecting, I turn around and leave the bar/restaurant because I will never get a table, and usually if I want to watch it, at least one person that I know will have it on PPV if I dont.
Old 18 March 2017, 13:53
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
I absolutely agree with this, but I dont really understand how it happens that way. I dont know ANYONE who pays for boxing matches, or even goes to watch them. I never see them shown on TV when I go to any bars or restaurants that show sports. However, if there is a UFC fight on that I wasnt expecting, I turn around and leave the bar/restaurant because I will never get a table, and usually if I want to watch it, at least one person that I know will have it on PPV if I dont.
I'm not saying I know the answer to that, I don't, but I do have a feeling that following the money could provide at least part of said answer....someone at the UFC is getting stinko rich, and we all know it isn't the fighters.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."

- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 18 March 2017, 22:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Ah!!! Gotcha! You're right, I did miss that point. I stand corrected. And sadly, no leg to stand on to respectfully disagree. MMA fighters are paid disgracefully low compared to big ticket boxers. UFC PPV does well, but the sport itself isn't big enough to compete with boxing. Hopefully that changes, but I am not sure that it will anytime soon.
Yeah not trying to be a dick or anything, sorry if I came across that way. Once they fix the pay issue in the UFC it will attract a flood of talent and guys will actually be able to train and fight for a living, unlike right now where only a few are able to fight full time without some side job to support themselves. The quality and skill of the fighters will go way up once a certain someone stops being so greedy and lets guys get paid what they deserve. I agree with you in that an MMA fighter is more technically skilled at actual fighting, as it takes alot to master striking, grappling, and everything in between.

Quote:
Depends on where you're at in the country, down south the Hispanic market is huge on boxing and will pack bars and restaurants every time certain boxers are fighting. Also boxing big in Mexico and Europe, even Japan.
Old 20 March 2017, 18:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
I'm not saying I know the answer to that, I don't, but I do have a feeling that following the money could provide at least part of said answer....someone at the UFC is getting stinko rich, and we all know it isn't the fighters.
Unless Dana White is really good at hiding his money, its not him either. I mean, hes got a LOT of money, more than Mayweather, but not enough to be keeping an equal amount of money for himself that all of Mayweathers fights make.

Quote:

Depends on where you're at in the country, down south the Hispanic market is huge on boxing and will pack bars and restaurants every time certain boxers are fighting. Also boxing big in Mexico and Europe, even Japan.
I live in south east Texas. Last time I even heard someone talk about boxing was the Paquiao v Mayweather fight. I couldnt say one way or another on the other countries though. All I know is they like soccer everywhere Ive been.

Last edited by havok88; 20 March 2017 at 18:55.
Old 21 March 2017, 15:58
Confirmed User

Probably like singing, acting etc. were decades ago. Once the MMA fighters start to organize and become popular enough to hurt the bottom line if they walk, then the money will come.
Old 21 March 2017, 16:08
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

The UFC is set up almost like the old movie studios from the 40s, they "discover" and nurture talent, tightly control who they fight, and when, and make the ultimate decisions as to who will compete for the title.

It might be tougher for fighters to break away than people think. Stock Car drivers tried to unionize back in the 60s, when NASCAR was under the total control and iron grip of Bill France, and in the end NASCAR, which is wholly owned by the France family, only became stronger. Drivers started to make more over time in purses and through endorsements, but all the rules and corporate governance of that particular racing body is controlled by one family. Not unlike FI is under Bernie Ecclestone.
Old 18 May 2017, 12:53
Problem Solver

One step closer to reality:

Conor McGregor Signs Floyd Mayweather Contract, Awaits Response in 'Coming Days'

http://http://bleacherreport.com/art...aign=editorial

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 18 May 2017, 19:41

I hope AFN airs this. Not interested in paying for a 30 second match, but I do want to see the K.O.

Our new posting rules