Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 20 March 2017, 18:02
Anesthetized User

Brain Scans and Culpability

Well, we are on our way. This is concerning. These will muddy the legal waters like Polygraphs.

"People can commit exactly the same crime in all of its elements and circumstances, and depending on their mental states, the difference could be one would go to jail for 14 years and the other would get probation," Read Montague, a neuroscientist at Virginia Tech who led the study, said in a press release. "Predicated on which side of the boundary you are on between acting knowingly and recklessly, you can differentially be deprived of your freedom."

I can act knowingly if I whack some armed intruder, but wonder if I will be deemed reckless.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/03/...ecklessly.html

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 20 March 2017 at 18:07. Reason: Change Content.
Old 20 March 2017, 18:51
Researcher @ Large

"reckless" is fairly subjective so this would really only benefit the lawyers.
Old 20 March 2017, 18:56
Problem Solver

This shit almost sounds like the prequel to "Minority Report" or something...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 20 March 2017, 19:08
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
This shit almost sounds like the prequel to "Minority Report" or something...
Yup, that's my fear.
Old 20 March 2017, 19:32
Anesthetized User

Want to bet that down the road these researchers will find some kind of protein, catecholamine, neurotransmitter or "other" that tells them after the fact the persons state of mind after a violent event? I wonder who is funding the study? This is important, perhaps I missed it in the article.

Nothing good can come from this.

Support SOCNET.
Old 20 March 2017, 19:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
Want to bet that down the road these researchers will find some kind of protein, catecholamine, neurotransmitter or "other" that tells them after the fact the persons state of mind after a violent event?
One would hope that science continues to evolve, or at least I do.

Quote:
I wonder who is funding the study? This is important, perhaps I missed it in the article.
From the actual study:

"We thank Frank Tong for useful discussions and all of the members from the Human Neuroimaging Lab, especially Alec Solway, Andreas Hula, and Sébastien Hétu, for helpful comments and discussion. We are also thankful for the support of the Wellcome Trust, the Kane Foundation, the Brown Foundation, and the National Institute on Drug Abuse. This study was supported by a grant from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation to Vanderbilt University, with a subcontract to Virginia Tech. Its contents do not necessarily represent official views of either the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation or the MacArthur Foundation Research Network on Law and Neuroscience (www.lawneuro.org)."

Quote:
Nothing good can come from this.
Why?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 20 March 2017, 20:01
Ungood

I welcome unlocking the secrets of the brain. It's frightening just how little we (humans) know. Even today, it's fascinating to see how veterans with similar TBIs to mine have completely different outcomes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20 March 2017, 20:08
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Why?

My concern is seeing physicians growing involvement in the regulation of guns/gun owners. I'm stuck in CA.It stems from that.

Support SOCNET.
Old 20 March 2017, 20:45
MSMD

Quote:
Well, we are on our way. This is concerning. These will muddy the legal waters like Polygraphs.
Polygraph results are not generally admissible in a courtroom and there is no chance this will be either anytime in the near future.
Old 20 March 2017, 21:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
My concern is seeing physicians growing involvement in the regulation of guns/gun owners. I'm stuck in CA. It stems from that.
I don't see the issue with the fact that neurologists are exploring brain activity. We have a lot to be thankful for when it comes to scientists. Anyone who doesn't believe that can partake in some world-class spirit healing.

Although it was tongue in cheek, which I get being in CA myself, I wouldn't even worry about something like that affecting our rights here. There's so much that's broken in that regard, it won't even appear on our radar.

Old 20 March 2017, 21:32
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Polygraph results are not generally admissible in a courtroom and there is no chance this will be either anytime in the near future.
Thank science for that. Polygraph examinations are a fucking joke.

Old 20 March 2017, 21:37
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Yes and no. In some states, part of a Polygraph is. And they are used by LE agencies for pre-employment.

My concern is the unintended consequences of the research. I guess that is the best way I can state how I feel about this. I would love to see this research simply to help those who need it.

Support SOCNET.
Old 21 March 2017, 13:38
Confirmed User

I've had several friends and acquaintances that I worked with doing security that have gone on to police departments say they've lied on polygraphs and passed because they didn't see what they did as bad or really care. One instance was downloading music online illegally, another was smoking weed so I guess it's all on the individual. One guy did roids and is now a sheriff.
Old 21 March 2017, 14:00
MSMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
I've had several friends and acquaintances that I worked with doing security that have gone on to police departments say they've lied on polygraphs and passed because they didn't see what they did as bad or really care. One instance was downloading music online illegally, another was smoking weed so I guess it's all on the individual. One guy did roids and is now a sheriff.
Conversely, I have a very good friend who was turned down for a police job because of "questionable results" on his polygraph. We were in the infantry together he went on to do two more enlistments in Counter Intel with the commensurate security clearance. He tried to call the polygraph tech out on their bullshit, but they were not inclined to listen. Fortunately it turned out well and he's making a lot more money than I am doing EP work.

Like MixedLoad said, Polygraph examinations are a fucking joke.
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way.
~ Heraclitus
Old 21 March 2017, 16:46
Spice Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Although it was tongue in cheek, which I get being in CA myself, I wouldn't even worry about something like that affecting our rights here. There's so much that's broken in that regard, it won't even appear on our radar.
Coming soon to a TSA checkpoint near you...

Our new posting rules