SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 28 December 2018, 20:31
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Decommissioned Aircraft Carrier

Ran across this pic of what is supposedly the USS America being deliberately sunk by the US Navy. (According to the caption)

But I’m seeing the “E” on the island structure below the “flight wings” painting; leading me to believe it is actually the also decommissioned Aircraft Carrier USS Enterprise?.. not the America.

Can anyone who has been on either Carriers confirm this is the America or Enterprise? Just want to know if pic is accurate.

Thanks
‘H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD465F81-247C-4152-934B-6E8CB8034CC3.jpg (31.8 KB, 521 views)
Old 28 December 2018, 20:43
Isiah 52:13-53:12

The “E” you see is a ship award. Engineering E for excellence in engineering. Battle E for ships battle readiness E. “E”s are awarded to the crew and ship for excellence in their particular departments. This is my take on the pic but it has many decades since I served. The hash marks are the number of times the ship was awarded that particular E. Others will probably give more detail since this is a bird farm and I served on a submarine.
X

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon
Old 28 December 2018, 20:54

Thank you X, ..good info! This very well could be the America then.
Old 28 December 2018, 21:02
I reckon so. . .

Battle "E" with hashmarks for subsequent awards. And that's actually an Aviation BM insignia above same.
Old 28 December 2018, 21:05
I reckon so. . .

Also googling the America yields it was SINKEX to ascertain it's survivability from sinking.
Old 28 December 2018, 21:15
Authorized Personnel

All you've got to do is watch Top Gun to see the Big E!

It was actually a pretty cool ship. I had the pleasure of doing a Tiger Cruise on it when I was a kid. Saw my first sonic boom from an F-14 Tomcat, and it scared the shit out of me. Damn plane snuck up right behind me haha. A lot of fish died that day.

Safety is binary - Security is emotional
Old 29 December 2018, 00:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
All you've got to do is watch Top Gun to see the Big E!

It was actually a pretty cool ship. I had the pleasure of doing a Tiger Cruise on it when I was a kid. Saw my first sonic boom from an F-14 Tomcat, and it scared the shit out of me. Damn plane snuck up right behind me haha. A lot of fish died that day.
"Was" being the operative word. By the time it served as FOB Afloat during Restore/Uphold Democracy it was far from 'cool'
Old 30 December 2018, 06:32
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
"Was" being the operative word. By the time it served as FOB Afloat during Restore/Uphold Democracy it was far from 'cool'
I have no doubt. My brother went out for the decommissioning of the ship (he served on the Enterprise back in the 90s). He said it looked horrible, and that in comparison to the other ships we had in the fleet...she was horrible and beyond ready to be put to rest.

Safety is binary - Security is emotional
Old 31 December 2018, 05:04

..word is she wouldn’t sink and had to be demolished -or something of the sort- from within to finally sink her..
Old 31 December 2018, 07:51
Confirmed User

Carriers are not easy to sink. As a Submariner, we were told it takes quite a few of our own advanced torpedoes to hit at once to even potentially put a carrier down. And that is a theory..
Old 31 December 2018, 16:41
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Carriers are not easy to sink. As a Submariner, we were told it takes quite a few of our own advanced torpedoes to hit at once to even potentially put a carrier down. And that is a theory..
Yep. We always assumed that a full spread of torpedoes would only give you a mission kill at best because there is so much reserve bouyancy and so many people available to do damage control. That's probably why the standard weapons loadout on Soviet subs included two torpedoes with nuclear warheads.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 2 January 2019, 09:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCH View Post
..word is she wouldn’t sink and had to be demolished -or something of the sort- from within to finally sink her..
Basically, her final duty was a test study.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...ier-being-sunk

After being prepared for a SINKEX operation, on April 19th, 2005, the ex-USS America was towed hundreds of miles off the Virginia coast. Soon after taking up station, the onslaught began. The ship was pummeled by explosions both above and below the waterline. After nearly four weeks of these activities, the carrier was scuttled. On May 14th, 2005, the vessel's stern disappeared below the waterline and the ship began its voyage to the seafloor.

The exact location of the ship, which at the time of its sinking was said to be roughly 300 miles off Virginia, was actually quite a bit further out according to this interesting article about its final resting place. The depth it rests at is also quite telling—nearly 17,000 feet down. Clearly, the Navy didn't want anyone nosing around the hulk after it sunk.
Old 25 January 2019, 12:09

Sad.. she projected some anger in her day.. a big stick for a few presidents.
Old 27 January 2019, 08:36
Been There Done That

Wonder why they sunk her so far out? Quite a few others have been sunk in closer coastal waters (I believe Oriskany was sunk in the Gulf of Mexico) as artificial reefs.

America was a conventional power plant (steam boiler if memory serves), so not like there’d be any useful intel in that regard.
Old 27 January 2019, 15:39
Researcher @ Large

Regardless of powerplant she was still considered a super carrier and the Navy wants the design information to be as hard to find as possible.
Old 27 January 2019, 16:43
Administrator

Some Trivia. USS America, the Big Dog. The only Carrier that was dedicated completely to a SOF Operation. I was there for the planning. The CO was CAPT "Benny" Suggs who hosted Pete Schoomaker and crew. They bonded over their love of Harleys and later GEN Scoomaker became CDR USSOCOM with RADM Suggs as his Deputy. Benny retired and became Vice President of Training for Harley Davidson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg america.jpg (46.7 KB, 116 views)
Old 31 January 2019, 10:22
Confirmed User

Was part of her Battle Group for the Med-IO deployment in '89 when we went into the Gulf over issues with Iran.
Cool ship, like her, my ship's (DD-974 and CG-48) have also been sunk.

An additional thought, with the "E" being white, that is not for Engineering excellence. Unless it's changed, the "E" should be blue for Eng. "E", but it's been a few years and I may have forgotten or remember incorrectly.

Last edited by Steamin; 31 January 2019 at 10:32. Reason: Additional ship and Battle "E" thoughts
Old 31 January 2019, 12:48
Confirmed User

I read the Wiki page on the USS America. I was pretty impressed. I was curious as to why they didn't sink it as a diver-accessible reef but then read the part about using it for sinkability testing.

Our new posting rules