SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 19 January 2019, 20:32
Aww F**K it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
It won awards and is now a show on Starz, so I decided to give it a try. I ended up with the 10 year anniversary edition, which is extended.

Iím halfway through and itís just ďmeh.Ē Parts of it are interesting, but mostly itís boring with lots of words that go nowhere. Iím quite surprised at all of the accolades itís received. Iíll finish it and update my review if it takes a turn for the better.
I picked up a copy last year and got about halfway through it and put it on the shelf. Yawn fest. I used to force myself to finish a book but now Iím all, ďfuck thatĒ.
Right now Iím reading the Royal Geographic Expedition Handbook. Donít know why but Iíve always wanted to read it. Next up is Endurance Shackletonís incredible voyage.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 20 January 2019, 15:47
All Star Benchwarmer

I'm now onto "SR-71 Revealed: The Inside Story" written by Col. Richard Graham. It's an older book, published in the 90s, but Graham was with the program as a pilot for 7 years. So far, it's an easy read and a interesting look at the plane, pilot training, and overall program.
Old 22 January 2019, 15:01
Freelancer

City of Death by Ephraim Mattos.
A former SEAL goes to Mosul to do humanitarian work. Good so far the author is very honest and humble.
Old 23 January 2019, 09:29
Confirmed User

[QUOTE=FinsUp;1058776380]I picked up a copy last year and got about halfway through it and put it on the shelf. Yawn fest. I used to force myself to finish a book but now Iím all, ďfuck thatĒ.
QUOTE]

I managed to finish it by skimming a lot. It had an interesting twist at the end, but I still wouldn't recommend it.
Old 29 January 2019, 11:16
Freelancer

Reading a couple of The Survivalist series books by Jerry Ahern.
Old 30 January 2019, 23:17
Confronting the Reckoning

Just finished Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules. Now on to Joseph Conrad's Victory.
Old 6 February 2019, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Just ordered the book on Amazon,

We used to spend a month or so in Florence. Nancy would spend the morning writing on a book, I would go to the Mercato Centrale and have a ball wandering through the market, and speaking to the merchants with what little Italian I knew.

After awhile they came to expect me, and would beckon me over to their stall to offer me a sample of something fresh/special they had that day. I would pick up food items, walk home, and Nancy would make lunch.

We would spend the rest of the day wandering Florence, wonderful memories.
Ah, sorry I missed this, sir.
Hope you enjoy the book as I did, especially given your familiarity with the locale. The pace of progress on these massive undertakings requires a mental adjustment for me; decades, generations to completion; and all the politics and social machinations are just as interesting as the actual construction details.

Just finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Random Goodwill find, started mid-chores Sunday and finished in less than 2 hours.
Stark, grim father/son journey-under-duress story. Self-reliance, SA, and determination done subtly and well.
Good read.

DaveP
Old 6 February 2019, 10:31
Confirmed User

The Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell.

Itís the series that the show The Last Kingdom is based on. Iíve read the first two and they are excellent. Itís my first taste of Cornwell and I like his style. Heís written a lot of books so I have a lot of catching up to do.
Old 6 February 2019, 10:36
Freelancer

Buried in Black by J.T. Patten.
Old 10 February 2019, 10:24
All Star Benchwarmer

"12 Strong" by Doug Stanton.

I'm sure many of you guys have read it, many know others that participated, and a few who were actually there.

I've read a few books on the initial "invasion" like "Jawbreaker" and "First In." Those were really good books IMO. Anybody have thoughts on this one?
Old 10 February 2019, 15:30
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDave View Post
The Saxon Tales by Bernard Cornwell.

Itís the series that the show The Last Kingdom is based on. Iíve read the first two and they are excellent. Itís my first taste of Cornwell and I like his style. Heís written a lot of books so I have a lot of catching up to do.
I have a 40-50 minute commute to work and I use audio books. Over the past 2-months I've listened to "The Last Kingdom Series." I'm now on book 6. Normally I'm a non-fiction military history buff, but, this series is very well written! Plus I really enjoy the show, albeit it deviates from the books.
Old 11 February 2019, 00:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I have a 40-50 minute commute to work and I use audio books. Over the past 2-months I've listened to "The Last Kingdom Series." I'm now on book 6. Normally I'm a non-fiction military history buff, but, this series is very well written! Plus I really enjoy the show, albeit it deviates from the books.
Iíve read just about every book heís written. Cornwell hooked me with his Arthurian Legend trilogy which starts with The Winter King. Still my favorite series of his.
Old 18 February 2019, 18:50
Authorized Personnel

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. It's the third book of a five-book series containing the character, Robert Langdon.

This book portrays actions taken in Washington, D.C. rather than typically being in Italy. Just started reading it today. So far, it's a great book!
Old 26 February 2019, 13:15
Red Headed Stepchild

War Dogs: Tales of Canine Heroism, History and Love by Rebecca Frankel.

Got it for Kindle not expecting a whole lot, I was really surprised how good it is. Very well written. My allergies started acting up during a couple of parts, so maybe don't read it on the plane.
Old 27 February 2019, 17:55
BTDT

Fresh off the plane from South Africa:
Attached Images
File Type: png Selous.png (894.1 KB, 197 views)
Old 28 February 2019, 14:52
Drawing my cutlass

At a suggestion from a scholarly member, rereading Brave Men by Ernie Pyle.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 5 March 2019, 20:12

The Dog Stars, Peter Heller.

After finding and enjoying MaCarthy's The Road recently, I'm no longer believing the 'randomness' of my Goodwill book trolling, as this is another really good post-EOTW-set story, with a quirky style of writing.
Two guys, wired differently but mutually dependent for provisions and security some 6-8 years post-pandemic; Cessna for scouting, well-practiced TTPs, robust armory and plotted fields of fire, but also some dreaming, wanderlust. A dog named Jasper.

Actually reminds me of reading Jack London.
Enjoyed it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-the-dog-stars

DaveP
Old 10 March 2019, 21:18
All Star Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
War Dogs: Tales of Canine Heroism, History and Love by Rebecca Frankel.

Got it for Kindle not expecting a whole lot, I was really surprised how good it is. Very well written. My allergies started acting up during a couple of parts, so maybe don't read it on the plane.
Same thing when I read it...the book must have something in it.

I saw somebody reference this book last year, so I asked my wife to pick it up for Christmas. "Day of the Rangers" by Leigh Neville. If you haven't read it, it's a good read. Although it's not as comprehensive as Bowden's book, it has offered another perspective to the battle. Any time more perspectives are offered, as long as they are true, it's a win for a historian.
Old 14 March 2019, 18:47
Been There Done That

Bugles and a Tiger. Autobiography of. British Officer's career with the. Ritual Ghurkas.
Old 20 March 2019, 11:11
All Star Benchwarmer

I haven't read a good book on WWII in some time, and even longer for a book on the Battle of the Bulge. My grandfather commanded a TD from June/July 44 until the end of the war and was at the Bulge.

Anyhow, I'm reading Ardennes 1944: Battle of the Bulge by Anthony Beevor. I'm only a chapter in, but it's cool seeing that he points out the Germans recognized the divide between the Allied nations even as they were in full retreat in the Fall of 44. It starts off discussing the "march" through Paris and then begins getting into the thought process of the Fall. I've got many more chapters to go, but a good start nonetheless.

Our new posting rules