Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Company Vetting and RFI

Old 13 July 2012, 07:10

Maritime Defense Force (MDF) RFI

Looked around the internet but only found a bit of info about them on a British board.

Anyone have any experience, knowledge or even opinion about them?

Thanks,
Old 13 July 2012, 10:36

Interviewed with them through skype early this am. Something seems a bit odd. Interviewer, although friendly couldn't answer some of my basic
questions, disclosed that the company has been around for 2 1/2 years and that TL salary begins at $3000 US/mo. 6 mos contracts- sounds interesting, but again something seemed a bit odd.
Old 13 July 2012, 14:31

Wow, that doesnt seem like alot of money fo rwhat and where the job would be. I havean interview wiht them on Monday morning. Did they confirm the time you sent them or did they just call you when you were online?
Old 19 July 2012, 09:36
Been There Done That

MDF stood me up for an interview yesterday morning. I got on Skype early and stayed on an hour over hard time and nothing. I emailed them 24 hours ago, so far no response.
Old 19 July 2012, 15:35

I'm really interested to hear about anyone else's experience with these guys. I had my "1st round" Skype interview a couple days ago. Here's my take-aways:

1) They said I needed to be able to run at least 3 mi. Fair enough. But when I asked about the actual PT test (events, and minimum scores) the interviewer could not provide any specifics.

2) When I asked if there would be a weapons qualification at the vetting course, the answer was "I don't want to talk about the weapons right now..."

3) The interviewer would not provide any information about starting salary.

4) I was told there would be a vetting course SOMEWHERE in the states, but no dates or location were given. I was also told the pay would start once I was aboard ship. This says to me that the vetting/selection course is unpaid. No details were given in regard to expenses (IE - does the company or IC pay for flights/lodging/etc).

I'm not trying to piss in anyone's cornflakes, or bash on the company. I don't know enough about them to like or dislike them. But neither does anyone else, it seems.

It's clear to me there's a lack of information available on this firm - even among a group of seasoned guys as SOCNET tends to attract. I've applied and interviewed with dozens of security firms, and never had a selection process start off like this. So I just want to put the info out for anyone else considering this position.

One thing that really stuck with me is that the interviewer asked me if I "saw any action" when I was deployed. Those exact words. That annoyed me. I understand that most HR types and recruiters have most likely never been shooters. That's okay. But when I hear: "So, did you see any action over there?" all I can think of are the gun groupies who hang out at the bars right outside the gate at Fort Wherever-You-Served.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I have yet to be asked to furnish a DD-214 or any documentation to substantiate my resume.

I've been asked to participate in a 2nd round interview. I'm evaluating my next steps.

Hope this helps. This is my first post (following my mandatory intro) so admins, if I've stepped out of bounds, fire at will.
Old 21 July 2012, 16:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
I'm really interested to hear about anyone else's experience with these guys. I had my "1st round" Skype interview a couple days ago. Here's my take-aways:

1) They said I needed to be able to run at least 3 mi. Fair enough. But when I asked about the actual PT test (events, and minimum scores) the interviewer could not provide any specifics.

2) When I asked if there would be a weapons qualification at the vetting course, the answer was "I don't want to talk about the weapons right now..."

3) The interviewer would not provide any information about starting salary.
Here's my advice, for what it's worth:

If anybody finds themselves in a job interview of that nature, you need to interrupt the guy in the midst of his lame response and say:

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm going to need you go go ahead and fuck yourself. Good day." and hang up. Proceed to go find a real place to get a job.
19 Oct 2017
Old 21 July 2012, 17:44

I attended the training in Cape Town, South Africa, but did not deploy, PM me for info.
Old 22 July 2012, 08:08

As it happens, they stood me up for my second interview. That about did it for me - I said thanks, but no thanks.

I'll chalk it up as a learning experience and drive on...
Old 22 July 2012, 08:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonyman35 View Post
As it happens, they stood me up for my second interview. That about did it for me - I said thanks, but no thanks.

I'll chalk it up as a learning experience and drive on...
The same happened to me today, I thought I'd see what the benefits and specifics would be but forget that now. I don't think we're missing much of an opportunity anyway.
Old 22 July 2012, 13:28

Thanks for the info. I have made the decision to not even begin a interview with them.

Something about them made the "spidey senses" tingle. Would like to hear more info about them though as there is next to nothing out there on them.

Also, and this is just me thinking out loud, if they are only paying $3K USD a month (not confirmed by me) I dont think they are looking at hiring an "A" team. I can earn more than that as a police officer here and not leave the family for 4 - 6 months.

Thanks again.
Old 23 July 2012, 23:06

Ok so here is my two cents, again... I recieved an email for a first interview, in which they requested my skype info, and a date and time in a specified couple days in which I would be available. I did this and it was a Monday morning at 8am est, after 30 mins of waiting they interviewer finally called. Only a brief description of the job and a training course to be held at "some " time and "somewhere", other than that there was next to no info. I was told it would come in a second interview,which I also recieved an email for. Again a time and day was requested which I provided and asked for a reply to confirm what I had selected. This was last Thursday evening, and my interview was tonight (Monday) at 11pm, No reply email of any kind until 1105 pm. Which asked if I could be available at 11pm on Tuesday night! I agreed, as I now want to see what they have to say and offer just out of principle!
Old 23 July 2012, 23:15

Good luck. They scheduled a second interview with me, then cancelled a few hours before it was to take place. They sent me an e-mail looking to reschedule. After what I've read I'm not going to waste my time.
Old 24 July 2012, 22:30

oconuscop,

Tell us how your 2nd interview goes. I wanna hear the pitch for the snake-oil they're selling.
Old 24 July 2012, 22:56

I just finished my second interview. It was interesting to say the least. We spoke for appx 40 minutes about the contracts for anti piracy security, they are 4-6 months in length and at the end of either they like for you to take a month of vacation. They do fly you from the airport where you are when the contract finishes to your home of record and then back to the ship, or at least the airport where the boat is at the time. Once you are emplyed by the company everythign is padi for, however I did forget to ask about pay while on vacation. There is a ten day pre deploymeny course which is in South Africa and possibly one at the end on August in Texas. No detail son the Texas one until after the first class. If I choose to come to the class in South Africa then it would be on my dime, and the same for the class in Texas. He did say that they have a negotiated rate of $40 to $50 a day for lodging and meals whil at training in SA. The pay is 3k to 5k a month and that depends on tenure and position with the company. I was told that the course is current threat briefings and pt, firearms etc. I was overall happy with the interview and was offered the opportunity to attend either of the training courses. However seeing as I am off contract I dont have the money to fly and support myself all the way to South Africa. So I am not sure what to make of that part of it all. He did say if I wanted to attend in SA that I could let them know, and as soon as they had the details of the class in Texas they would let me know. I dont think the money is exactly what it should be for what the job is,and the fact that they expect peopel to fly themselves from all over the world to training and support it all on a personal dime. And the security team is a four man group for the entire ship, and they are completely self sufficient if there was any contact with pirates. The members of the team could be from anywhere in the world, he said htey are often from the UK,SA and teh states along with Italy. If anyone has any other question please send me a PM as i may have forgotten something.
Old 24 July 2012, 23:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconuscop View Post
...post...
I just wanted to throw out there that a 4 man team is normal for Maritime Security. Don't let that deter you if you're wanting to get into Maritime work. Personally, I would stay away from these guys. The money is definitely not what it should be, and you've lost your mind if you think I'm going to fly myself to SA for training in order to get a shitty paying job. My word of advice, don't go anywhere with these guys.
Old 25 July 2012, 19:13
Been That, **** *****

FWIW……

There was once a lengthy thread on here about a maritime defense company out of San Antonio that was not getting rave reviews.

IIRC it was ran by a husband and wife team, equipment was antiquated and support was lacking………..

If any of you desire, search for yourself
Old 6 August 2012, 20:08

Had my interview via Skype and the interviewer would ask, "So do you have any questions?" I asked 3 to 4 questions and he he replied to each one,"I can not answer that at this time, do you have another question?" If I am taking a job where high threat is in the job title I don't want to be left in the dark on anything. I did not reply to any other emails for the follow up so I'm leaving in a couple months with a different company.

Our new posting rules