SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 8 April 2018, 10:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
Just a question; I have been out to long, It use to be if I remember right you wore the head gear that was authorized for the unit. When you left you could no longer wear it. just like a Ribbon that was awarded to the unit, some reason but you were not in the unit when it was earned. When you left that unit you were no longer authorized to wear it.
Depends on how long ago it was you're talking about. Green Beret, Maroon Beret, half flash, full flash, 18 series, everybody wears a beret, nobody wears a beret - all depends on the time period.

Things in Group have pretty much settles down. 18 series wears the Green Beret - everybody else wears the Maroon Beret.

Of course that is all subject to change if some touchy feely General gets a wild hair up his ass.
Old 27 November 2018, 19:48
Holy Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
That's GOT to be a small group of people.
I went through Dive and EOD school with a former SF Soldier who enlisted in the Navy, did a tour with EOD and then went back to SF. Initials are B.P. and school time frame was 2001-ish. I'm sure some here know him.

This is probably more common than people realize as I had a former 75th guy, a former SF Soldier and three former Recon Marines in my class. The appeal seemed to be (pre-9/11 anyways) that you could gain a new technical and marketable skill set while continuing to go downrange, do cool shit and collect all of those wonderful special pays like dive/ jump/ demo/ language/ etc. My first three bosses in EOD were all former Frogs.

With GWOT this sort of thing became almost unheard of although there is a former 75th guy on this board who was a student at EOD school while I was instructing but, God knows why, he stayed Army.
Old 27 November 2018, 20:53
Been There Done That

So why did you post this under "Posers Busting"?
Did I miss something....
Old 27 November 2018, 21:58
Holy Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Did I miss something....
It was a reply to the below thread-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyll 50 View Post
Guys,

Sorry for massive necropost, how can I verify if someone was with group, and also saying he's a former 18D (Medic)

Also had a Navy EOD background
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
That's GOT to be a small group of people.
Old 27 November 2018, 22:33
Holy Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Did I miss something....
Apologies, just realized this was the SF forum, did not mean to intrude. Stumbled onto this looking for another thread.

Our new posting rules