Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 6 June 2016, 15:36
Confirmed User

Navy Bans Alcohol & Restricts Sailors to Bases in Japan

...as in "No Navy personnel in Japan can consume alcohol until further notice" (if this is reported accurately), no off-base libs, and no non-essential travel off base. Japan-wide, not just Okinawa.

Clearly, USNFJ was already on notice after profuse apologies from POTUS and the US Ambassador regarding recent USFJ-people incidents to Japanese officials. But...really?

Story here.

Quote:
The ban on alcohol will remain in effect indefinitely, until commanders "are comfortable that all personnel understand the impact of responsible behavior on the U.S.-Japan Alliance and the United States' ability to provide security and stability in the Indo-Asia-Pacific," the Navy said.
Old 6 June 2016, 15:41
Authorized Personnel

I'm not sure about having actually having "good" relations with Japan. We bombed them into submission and they protested at the gates to our base every day of the week. Not exactly a warm and fuzzy relationship.
Old 6 June 2016, 15:51
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

And of course nobody high up in the chain of command, not even the highest ranking admiral stationed in Japan, will touch a drop of the forbidden nectar.
Old 6 June 2016, 15:56
Been There Done That

"Ceremonial Toasts" will of course be exempted from the GO-1

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 6 June 2016, 16:06
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

As well as medicinal shots of brandy. But only for those holding the rank of O-6 or above.
Old 6 June 2016, 16:07
Critical mass

Punish the masses at the assclownery of the few because??? Why not just make it clear that if you do stupid shit the penalty now is much much worse.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. -John Adams
Old 6 June 2016, 16:09
Old and Grumpy

There is going to be a lot of pissed off hostesses in Yokohama.
Old 6 June 2016, 16:10
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonburnout View Post
Punish the masses at the assclownery of the few because??? Why not just make it clear that if you do stupid shit the penalty now is much much worse.
That is par for the course and certainly nothing new. Even within the military -- where personal accountability should truly count -- the masses always pay for the individuals clownery.
Old 6 June 2016, 16:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge View Post
That is par for the course and certainly nothing new. Even within the military -- where personal accountability should truly count -- the masses always pay for the individuals clownery.
Exactly. We had 3 DUIs one weekend (out of a ~150 man company) and that Friday there was a mandatory 8 hour safety stand down. Around 1400, the SgtMaj asked me what I thought and when I told him "the 147 Marines that didn't get a DUI last weekend want to know why they're being punished", he wasn't too happy with me. The many always pay for the sins of the few in the DOD because it's easier to punish everyone than to hammer down the nails that are fucked up and sticking out.

Last edited by Gray Rhyno; 6 June 2016 at 16:25.
Old 6 June 2016, 16:27
Critical mass

In my day I don't recall ever having a full ban on booze in a OCONUS base, unless it was a cultural law, but never for a few bad eggs. I do remember several Captain masts and serious punishments for the dips hits busted though... no more personal accountability these days at a Command level will certainly not help morale.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. -John Adams
Old 6 June 2016, 16:45
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonburnout View Post
There's honestly not much you can do in the way of "prevention" of stuff like this short of a full stop ban on alcohol consumption - but candor like this is generally never appreciated when it comes to answering the mail for the conduct of those in your charge.

Knee jerk reactions like this allow leadership to save face for subordinate misconduct without having to actually stand up for the 99% of their guys that do the right thing.
Old 6 June 2016, 17:02
War on Christmas veteran

30 years ago, when our battalion arrived in the Sinai, relieving a battalion from the 82nd Airborne Division, as part of a multinational force, the multinational command issued us an ID card to be carried, separate from our US military ID, identifying us as members of the multinational peacekeeping force.. and they also issued us a ration card.

The ration card had two columns of boxes on either side, for workers at the base PX to punch holes in when we purchased either cartons of cigarettes or bottles of liquor.
If I recall, the restriction was two per month for either.
Beer purchases did not count. The ration cards restricted each soldier to purchasing no more than two bottles of hard liquor per month.

Of course, all the ration cards had the liquor side of the card X'ed out with thick black magic marker. All US soldiers were prohibited from buying bottles of liquor for the entire deployment, thanks to the drunken dumbassery of the soldiers of the 82nd that we were relieving.

There must have been some serious drunken GI dumbassery in Japan to make the commander of US forces ban all consumption of alcohol.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 6 June 2016, 17:14
Grinder Monkey

All work and no play will make Japan a very dull duty station.
Old 6 June 2016, 17:42
Make a desert and call it peace.

I can almost bet that when the fuckwit that caused all this bullshit got caught, his immediate CoC was completely unsurprised. But of course, prior to the assclownery, getting rid of the loser was completely impossible, and his NCO's were admonished to provide "greater leadership" or some other bullshit.

IMO/IME, the only NCO leadership that will fix most of these losers is beating them into a persistent vegetative state. This isn't smoking weed or poor judgement; this sort of felonious violence indicates complete moral bankruptcy, and that's caused by genetics and/or 18+ yrs of conditioning and there's no way you're going to fix that. They're just broken and don't belong. Recruiting and selection error, the only leadership problem is not tossing them out. S/F.....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 6 June 2016, 18:19
Confirmed User

I think most people here are quite familiar with hi-visibility and dramatic overreactions of senior leadership to any noticeable increase in unfavorable incidents. It's demanded of those in command to demonstrate that they're taking "swift and decisive" action. Reasoned approaches signal weakness.

As someone said, weeding out shitbirds who pose the obvious risk for this kind of behavior is rarely an option.

Make no mistake - this is so extreme because POTUS and Ambassador Kennedy just finished kissing Serious Japanese ass over recent incidents.

Okinawans have been bitching for years about hosting a vastly disproportionate share of US mil presence in Japan...but that's a small part of their being second class citizens since becoming part of the country. The Japanese government surely doesn't want the US out anytime soon, with KJU grabbing his proverbial crotch so much of late...but they can point to this as a means of placating the Okinawans who have wanted us gone for decades.
Old 6 June 2016, 19:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianj View Post
...but they can point to this as a means of placating the Okinawans who have wanted us gone for decades.
That's exactly the reason this was done. It's nothing more than 7th Fleet/CNFJ being able to say "See, we're doing something about this!" Even though it's not accomplishing a damn thing.

The liberty restrictions - at least with regards to only essential off base travel - should be lifted today, possibly tomorrow at the latest, and the booze ban will probably end by Friday. One thing I can guarantee, though, is that you won't see all the media hoopla when the ban is lifted. They'll quietly remove the tape from the liquor section at the exchange, and we'll (MWR) quietly go back to selling it at our clubs.
Old 6 June 2016, 20:50
Confirmed User

So...it's a standdown, but they're just not calling it that. OK...that makes far more sense than interpreting this as GO-1 WESTPAC until further notice.

So everyone signs a service record memo at the Captain's call this week, and it's back to normal...because, yeah, we need training to make it clear to all hands that drunk driving and raping LNs are "zero tolerance" issues.
Old 6 June 2016, 22:13
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianj View Post
So...it's a standdown, but they're just not calling it that. OK...that makes far more sense than interpreting this as GO-1 WESTPAC until further notice.

So everyone signs a service record memo at the Captain's call this week, and it's back to normal...because, yeah, we need training to make it clear to all hands that drunk driving and raping LNs are "zero tolerance" issues.
There was an admiral's call yesterday with CNFJ and 7th Fleet, and I'm sure that the sailors had to sign something when they walked into the theater. I'm a civilian, so the only effect this has on me is I can't buy craft beer at the exchange for now.
Old 6 June 2016, 22:33
Been There Done That

Yeah, bans, laws all of that nonsense is really effective at ending drinking. It fucks with morale something fierce though.
Old 6 June 2016, 22:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
I can almost bet that when the fuckwit that caused all this bullshit got caught, his immediate CoC was completely unsurprised. But of course, prior to the assclownery, getting rid of the loser was completely impossible, and his NCO's were admonished to provide "greater leadership" or some other bullshitM
This one and the one in January were females.

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer

Our new posting rules