Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 October 2017, 11:56
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Walk View Post

Is there another team with the capacity to recruit top-level D1 talent that consistently delivers such disappointing results as South Carolina?
Alabama does, and it's just a matter of time before they find themselves adrift on the fabled Sea of Disappointment. It is where all once relevant college football powerhouses go eventually.

Florida State recently shoved off in their skiff, which they belatedly named Futility after they lost to Miami last weekend. They will, however, come ashore tomorrow to face Duke. They do have TV contracts to uphold, after all.
Old 13 October 2017, 14:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
I feel your pain, but I wouldn't count on the Fighting Gamecocks to beat your Vols just yet.

I had high hopes for the boys from the Midlands this year, but, again, will likely have to accept 6-6 and a trip to the GMAC or Music City Bowl.

Is there another team with the capacity to recruit top-level D1 talent that consistently delivers such disappointing results as South Carolina?
I didnít know S Carolina had that good of recruiting honestly,but hiring Muschamp, a coach who has previously sucked in that same division should have been expected to produce similar results.
Old 13 October 2017, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by havok88 View Post
I didnít know S Carolina had that good of recruiting honestly,but hiring Muschamp, a coach who has previously sucked in that same division should have been expected to produce similar results.
That's the point: they have great capacity, but can't seem to get over the hump. Clemson recruits from the same geography and gets totally different results. This isn't like trying to recruit out of North Dakota or some place like that. There is no end of football talent in SC.

What amazes me year in, and year out is that this school can not consistently put a winning team on the field. Spurrier had 3 good years: 2011-13. The rest of the seasons have been 6-6, 5-7 and the like.

Who knows? Maybe its the AD? The local culture doesn't care?

So, in my mind, it is as likely that the Vols win big Saturday as it is the Gamecocks do.
Old 13 October 2017, 17:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
The local culture doesn't care?
I don't know about that. Columbia is a madhouse on game day. It just doesn't always seem to translate onto the field.
Old 13 October 2017, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I don't know about that. Columbia is a madhouse on game day. It just doesn't always seem to translate onto the field.
My thought was that Lou Holtz really changed the expectations in Columbia. But when Spurrier showed up, he would get irritated with the public because they would celebrate moral victories, where he wanted them to celebrate winning the game. I think Spurrier got tired of fighting it.

The locals love the Gamecocks. For their own reasons, they are OK with them being 6-6. Baseball is another matter and there they expect championships.
Old 13 October 2017, 19:50
Reverse Apache Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Alabama does, and it's just a matter of time before they find themselves adrift on the fabled Sea of Disappointment. It is where all once relevant college football powerhouses go eventually.
It'll be awhile before that happens. As much as I root against Alabama, I don't think we've ever seen a juggernaut the likes of which Saban has built there.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 13 October 2017, 21:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
...The locals love the Gamecocks. For their own reasons, they are OK with them being 6-6. Baseball is another matter and there they expect championships.
Sounds like Kentucky, just replace 'baseball' with 'basketball....
Old 13 October 2017, 22:42
Reverse Apache Master

Well, say goodbye to #2 Clemson. I'm cool with it, but Syracuse? Really?

Old 14 October 2017, 04:49
RIP Cass and SOTB

Clemson will be back. Believe that. They played a terrible game and left an injured qb in waaaaayyy too long. But I’d they win out. They will be in the CFB. Mark my words.

Last edited by UGA_11B; 14 October 2017 at 04:49. Reason: Spelling
Old 14 October 2017, 07:13
Been There Done That

Well Clemson ratings may be back, BUT if you ain't healthy in November then wait till next year.
Old 14 October 2017, 09:46
Life is simple, not easy.

Clemson was a big loss. #8 Wash St got crushed by unranked Cal.

Nice segue into today.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 14 October 2017, 15:02
Authorized Personnel

Sad but I’ll take the scrape by win against Duke. FSU needs to make it to bowl number 36 in a row. This puts us closer and every little bit helps.
Old 14 October 2017, 15:55

Looks like Penn St. is moving into the #2 spot, and Clemson is going to take an elevator down. If Oklahoma's precipitous drop is any indication, Clemson should drop out of the top 10.

But as we all know, the pollsters give extra credit for the more recent past, so they may only go to #4. The AP really should gather their voters in a high school cafeteria, because that's the mentality they bring when it comes to casting their votes.
Old 14 October 2017, 17:39
Been There Done That

Fucking genius play Miami....great way to start the 3rd quarter.
Old 14 October 2017, 17:57

The Bears will probably borrow that play to use in tomorrow's game against the Ravens.

As for the onside kick itself, you can only wait so long before the opponent gets there. Unlike Miami, Georgia didn't have to wait for the ball to go 10 yards to pick it up and run with it, it was a free ball for them the second it left the tee.

Last edited by Spinner; 14 October 2017 at 18:09.
Old 14 October 2017, 18:21
Been There Done That

Yeah...but Miami just stood there watching him pick it up with their thumbs shoved up their asses, but they just scored and missed the 2pt. conversion...gonna be a game.
Old 14 October 2017, 19:09
Been There Done That

8 seconds...field goal for the win. And...and...it's dead center. Miami hung solid through the mistakes...damn good game.
Old 14 October 2017, 19:10
Reverse Apache Master

Goodbye Auburn!

Old 14 October 2017, 19:14
Been There Done That

How bout my damn UVA Cavs...a solid 5-1. But, they have a wicked bad schedule from here on out.
Old 14 October 2017, 21:52
Moving Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
How bout my damn UVA Cavs...a solid 5-1. But, they have a wicked bad schedule from here on out.
Right ON !

Our new posting rules