Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 September 2017, 16:31
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Walk View Post
For me, it's more like anti-dynasty. I always pull for the underdog. Like Appalachian State beating Michigan a few years ago. What I really like to see is a new team in the polls. Seeing Alabama every year gets old, just like it did when it was FSU and Miami and Nebraska. Great teams, but there is no drama in it.
At least Notre Dame didn't get any sympathy votes this year and somehow sneak into the top 25. Oops,spoke too soon. I just checked the first poll after the start of the new season, AP has ND at 24 and the coaches put them at 25.

OSU and Penn St both in the top 5, I'd laugh my ass off if at the end of the year it was an all Big 10 playoff.
Old 5 September 2017, 18:08
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
an all Big 10 playoff.
The evil money-changers in the NCAA temple will never let that happen. They need the money from the ad revenue generated by having fans nationwide pay attention. I'm sure it was a complete coincidence that the four "playoff" teams last year happened to include one each from the Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, and ACC.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 6 September 2017, 07:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
The evil money-changers in the NCAA temple will never let that happen. They need the money from the ad revenue generated by having fans nationwide pay attention. I'm sure it was a complete coincidence that the four "playoff" teams last year happened to include one each from the Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, and ACC.
That doesn't do much to explain the Bama-LSU rematch in the BCS title game a few years ago. Talk about alienating most of the country.
Old 6 September 2017, 17:27

Wisconsin doesn't have to play either OSU or Penn this year, only Michigan. But that could still set up a scenario where the four teams I mentioned still wind up at or near the top of the "playoff" poll.

At this point, considering how it has come down to what is essentially a bunch of judges making decisions, the coaches, players and a bunch of the fans of those four schools should just gather in some large stadium and each team and their coach should trot out onto the field for about 10 seconds and then head back to the sidelines.

Then the committee (judges) can all hold up placards with numbers up to 10, and average those numbers out. At the end, whichever team has the highest average will be crowned the national champion.

This whole charade is pretty much one step away from how they do things in gymnastics and figure skating anyway.
Old 9 September 2017, 23:21
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

Ooof. Notre Dame loses by a point, reminding us how important the left tackle is.

Also, Ohio State lost, which, if you're a Notre Dame fan from Ohio, can make you feel better.
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician
Old 10 September 2017, 00:08
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

The Gamecocks insist on inflating the hopes of their fanbase. Yet to be determined is whether either of their two victories so far were over teams that are any good. That will still be true if they manage to beat Kentucky.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 10 September 2017, 10:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
The Gamecocks insist on inflating the hopes of their fanbase. Yet to be determined is whether either of their two victories so far were over teams that are any good. That will still be true if they manage to beat Kentucky.
"Hey, we're 2-0!!"
Old 10 September 2017, 11:28
RIP Cass and SOTB

Clemson appears to have an elite defense again this year. We stopped Auburn and brought the pain to their QB 11 times. Our offense didn't start off hot, but once it got the juices flowing went back to normal. Our QB Bryant is starting to impress me. Auburn is no joke on the defensive side of the ball and he made it look easy at times to shred them or make plays with his legs, but Deshaun Watson he is not. But give him time, he is still young.

I expected UGA to handle ND better than they did. They seemed to struggle a lot , but stepped up a few times in big spots. I'm really impressed with Fromm, I think they should keep him as the starter until he implodes or gets hurt. Overall it was a decent performance by the Dawgs. A win is a win.

2-0 for both of my teams. It was a good weekend for College Football IMO. Plus Ohio State lost. So really it's a win win win in my book!
Old 10 September 2017, 11:30
Been There Done That

I'm a Texas fan. The win against San Jose St. is pretty meaningless. Sam Darnold will tear up the weak TX secondary next week when TX goes to USC. So no hopes up here. I take comfort in the fact the Sooners took it to the other OSU at the Horseshoe. Go Big 12!.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 10 September 2017, 13:08
Been There Done That

WVU beat the hell out of East Carolina.

Woopity fucking do. But the rest of their schedule is almost all Big 12 teams.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 10 September 2017, 13:59
Authorized Personnel

Can anyone explain why a "powerhouse" like Alabama is even playing Fresno State? They might as well have them play George Washington High School.

I'd like to see the schedules revamped so the better your rankings, the harder your schedule should be, much like handicapping horses. If you won the BCS last year, and are ranked number one, all your opponents should be ranked in the top 10-15 in the nation.
Old 10 September 2017, 17:04
Did...did I do that?

Michigan won. Not as well as I'd like, but they won.

tO$U lost, and I don't care how Oklahoma looked in that win. :)
Old 10 September 2017, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Can anyone explain why a "powerhouse" like Alabama is even playing Fresno State? They might as well have them play George Washington High School.

I'd like to see the schedules revamped so the better your rankings, the harder your schedule should be, much like handicapping horses. If you won the BCS last year, and are ranked number one, all your opponents should be ranked in the top 10-15 in the nation.
The reason they play teams like Fresno State is to make them look that much more awesome and powerful in the eyes of the "playoff" committee. And I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but any "playoff" that requires a committee isn't really much of a "playoff".

I agree with what you say, to a point. The problem with it is that so many programs have a complete turnover from one year to the next. What would be great is if a team like Alabama had to play their entire schedule against NFL teams.

Then we'd really find out just how many "ready for the pros" players they have.
Old 10 September 2017, 22:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Explain how that will happen when the schedules for over 100 schools have to be set 3 or 4 years in advance. Along with minimum conference requirements like the PAC 12 requiring 9 conference games....
Old 11 September 2017, 07:28
Been There Done That

Bama has 3 cupcake games, non rated teams in a row.
Thats so they can put their 3rd string in after the first quarter and give them some experience running up the score.
By the time they play a rated team everybody is fresh and good play time to give all of their 4 and 5 star players game time.
Maybe some of these other top rated teams will figure this out some year.
Old 11 September 2017, 08:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
NC State was a dark horse to win the ACC. They are still projected to win 9-10 games.
Old 11 September 2017, 08:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
WVU beat the hell out of East Carolina.

Woopity fucking do. But the rest of their schedule is almost all Big 12 teams.
ECU has taken WVU to the woodshed before. Not this year. WVU is legit. And ECU sucks sweaty balls.

Of course, ECU's former coach and OC are now head coach and assist coach at Oklahoma....
Old 11 September 2017, 08:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA_11B View Post

I expected UGA to handle ND better than they did. They seemed to struggle a lot , but stepped up a few times in big spots. I'm really impressed with Fromm, I think they should keep him as the starter until he implodes or gets hurt. Overall it was a decent performance by the Dawgs. A win is a win.

!
I think that game wasn't as close as it appeared. Dropped TD pass, missed FG, questionable penalty called back 90 yd KR. Defense was lights out. And that's with missing Malcolm Parrish
I like Fromm too, but I think right now, Eason is better. Obviously I haven't seen him yet this year, but Fromm, made numerous freshman mistakes. And that's OK, I just have to trust CKS, that Eason is probably more polished right now.
The thing that still burns me is Chaney and his stupid play calling.
Either way, the OL and OC need to step up their games.

And the best thing was how UGA represented. I had a friend at the game and he said it looked like a home game. Apparently he was there Thursday, and some ND fan, quite snobbily said, "I see there's quite a few Georgia fans here, but you guys don't bring as many as USC or Texas" My buddy said, "You don't understand, this is Thursday, we're not even here yet" LOL, prophetic. Smart said that the biggest pat of all the UGA fans was, that when we were on offense, Fromm never had to deal with crowd noise, because 1/2 the stadium was quiet for him. Sweet
Old 11 September 2017, 11:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post

These games are scheduled years in advance. They probably were ranked around 15 when that game was scheduled. On top of that offensively Fresno State outplayed Florida state all around against Bama. They play FCS teams yet here you are complaining about them playing an FBS team? Fresno State should have a good season this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
The reason they play teams like Fresno State is to make them look that much more awesome and powerful in the eyes of the "playoff" committee. And I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but any "playoff" that requires a committee isn't really much of a "playoff".

I agree with what you say, to a point. The problem with it is that so many programs have a complete turnover from one year to the next. What would be great is if a team like Alabama had to play their entire schedule against NFL teams.

Then we'd really find out just how many "ready for the pros" players they have.
It has nothing to do with impressing the playoff committee, and everything to do with money for Fresno, or whatever school, and being able to not get banged up from playing tough games every single week.

I dont see how Alabama vs an NFL team would prove anything. Players develop in the NFL, and a team with a few people who will be drafted playing against a team full of people who have been drafted doesnt really prove anything.
Old 11 September 2017, 12:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
What would be great is if a team like Alabama had to play their entire schedule against NFL teams.
Bama could play the Browns 12 games in a row and lose badly 12 times in a row. The idea of any college team playing an NFL team is ridiculous.

Bama's out of conference schedule is already set for 2018 and they have teams scheduled for 2019 and 2020.

Our new posting rules